Vikings Prepare for Frazier Reunion

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings Prepare for Frazier Reunion

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Mothman wrote:

... and yet they still finished with the league's top run defense and the league's worst pass defense, just as they did the year before. They were a top 10-ranked defense under Frazier for the next 3 seasons after that. That's an indication of bad coaching?
I mean Frazier's defense is dead last in the league now.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I mean Frazier's defense is dead last in the league now.
with Gerald McCoy, Micheal Johnson, Lavante David, Alteraun Verner, Dashon Goldson and Mark Barron....
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Speaking of Gerald McCoy...

http://www.foxsports.com/florida/story/ ... ers-102314
A large reason for the defensive failures, as McCoy sees it: A lack of toughness.

"We've just got to be tougher," said McCoy, a two-time Pro Bowl player. "I'm just going to say it: Everybody, we've got to be tougher, mentally and physically. There's a lot of times you look on tape where guys are just sitting on blocks. Why? A lot of times where guys are just holding up blocks. No, move them out of the way. Get open. If you're at a corner, get off the block. Come help out. If you're supposed to drop at 10 yards, then drop to 10 yards, don't drop at 8. It's just mentally and physically, we have to get tougher. And it's not Coach (Lovie) Smith. It's us."
McCoy said he wants to see talk turn to action. He said he has seen enough words fail to translate into victories since the Bucs drafted him third overall in 2010.

"I've been seeing talking for five years," said McCoy, who has 17 tackles and two sacks this season. "We've done enough talking. It's time to play. It's as simple as that. I've given speeches. Lavonte (David) has given speeches. Vincent Jackson has given speeches. Josh McCown has given speeches. It's enough talking. We have to start playing. It's as simple as that. The talking is not going to get it anymore. I've been hearing talking and speeches for five years. It's time to start seeing action. It's as simple as that."
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

Mothman wrote:Speaking of Gerald McCoy...

http://www.foxsports.com/florida/story/ ... ers-102314
maybe just one more speech?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

saint33 wrote: with Gerald McCoy, Micheal Johnson, Lavante David, Alteraun Verner, Dashon Goldson and Mark Barron....
Yes, although we both know it takes more than 6 players to play defense. :) Plus, McCpy has been playing with a broken hand and has been limited to about 4 games, Johnson's been hobbled by an ankle injury since the season opener and Goldson has been sidelined since week 4.

Their whole defense is learning a new system and if you watch them, it's pretty obvious they don't have it down yet. Maybe it won't get any better but given some of the talent they have, Lovie Smith's history (and, for that matter, Frazier's as DC for the Vikings), I doubt the Bucs defense will remain at the bottom of the league beyond this season, if it even stays there for the remainder of this season.

Anyway, the whole point of my response to Laserman was that a drop in some defensive stats from 2006 to 2007 is hardly evidence that Frazier is a bad coach. Looking at the Bucs defensive ranking after 6 games this year doesn't really make a better argument either. There's a body of work there and it should all be considered, good results and bad.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

The Breeze wrote:just one more speech?
:lol:

Let's hope the Vikes prompt at least one more...