Film observations of Vikings: Week 7 vs. Bills

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Demi
Commissioner

Re: Film observations of Vikings: Week 7 vs. Bills

Post by Demi »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: I definitely understand the frustration. I've been so unhappy that this is the first I've posted since the loss. But that last play was not the fault of the coaches.

Rhodes HAD safety help, but it was to the inside. I mean, you can't just plant a safety at the sideline. The corner has a job to do, and Rhodes didn't do it. He simply could not let Watkins have the sideline, and he did. If he had forced Watkins inside, Smith was there to help.

It's a shame because Rhodes played a good game until the last two plays.
He came up gimpy on the previous play. There should have been a timeout, on either play to get the defense settled. Once again everyone involved blows it. A player or coach calling a timeout on either play likely results in a win. But instead everyone sits on their hands and we lose.

Reminds me of Frazier's "I knew we were lined up wrong, but didn't call a timeout" from last year. DO SOMETHING.

Guess Slick Rick didn't go over that situation in his Game Day Coaching 101 for Dummies course we heard about this offseason. :roll:
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Demi wrote: He came up gimpy on the previous play. There should have been a timeout, on either play to get the defense settled. Once again everyone involved blows it. A player or coach calling a timeout on either play likely results in a win. But instead everyone sits on their hands and we lose.

Reminds me of Frazier's "I knew we were lined up wrong, but didn't call a timeout" from last year. DO SOMETHING.

Guess Slick Rick didn't go over that situation in his Game Day Coaching 101 for Dummies course we heard about this offseason. :roll:
They did use a timeout before the last play ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Minnesota Vikings film review: Defense
Floyd had what might have been his best game of the season, thanks to a game plan that moved him around the Vikings' defensive front. Floyd had a sack and two hurries, one of which came after he lined up over the left tackle and chased Orton outside the pocket. Joseph's sack on the final drive also came from a three-technique spot, and Everson Griffen's third sack came when he worked a stunt with Floyd after the Vikings showed a seven-man blitz and rushed four.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

frosted21 wrote: They did use a timeout before the last play ...
:lol: Yes, they did:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201410190 ... playbyplay
(:05) 18-K.Orton spiked the ball to stop the clock.
Timeout #1 by MIN at 00:05.
2-2-MIN 2
(:01) (Shotgun) 18-K.Orton pass short left to 14-S.Watkins for 2 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Caught in front left corner of end zone.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:In response to that I say, "as well it should". The 6 sacks and 4 turnovers are indicative of progress. The all-too familiar late-game collapse illustrates how far they still have to go. Rhodes played a good game but did his best Chris Cook imitation near the end, getting into position to break up the deep throw down the sidelines and then proving unable to make the play. Greenway played a very good game but couldn't cover the TE on 4th and 20. The defense still needs to figure out how to get off the field in long yardage situations and how to close out games. I'll be glad when they take that step because if anything, it's almost more frustrating to see them make progress in so many ways and still collapse in the final minute or fail to force a punt on third and long.
Last year when the D would collapse late in games it would put me in a homicidal rage. I'm not kidding, Jim, you're lucky to still be alive! :D

Seriously, if you recall my posts last year, it was grating my nerves to see the Vikings D repeatedly blow games that way. I don't want to see it again and agree with your sentiments here. Last year was even worse at times because the offense would score enough points to win a game but the D would screw up in the 4th quarter. This time I wish the offense would have scored more often, which would have been a big help for the D. That's why I see the offense as being a big contributor to the loss.

I'm presently as tired of seeing porous OL pass blocking as I am of late collapses by the D. For example, watching the coaches tape, I saw what I felt were two examples of Cordarrelle Patterson being open but not getting the ball because of a QB sack and hurry. On the sack the defender covering Patterson fell down, leaving him wide open. But Bridgewater was swarmed and sacked. Had Teddy some protection and gotten the ball to an open Patterson, we're probably talking about seven more points added to the Vikings score. That would have helped the D protect the lead a lot.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:Last year when the D would collapse late in games it would put me in a homicidal rage. I'm not kidding, Jim, you're lucky to still be alive! :D
Hmm... why do all of my friends keep telling me that? ;)
Seriously, if you recall my posts last year, it was grating my nerves to see the Vikings D repeatedly blow games that way. I don't want to see it again and agree with your sentiments here. Last year was even worse at times because the offense would score enough points to win a game but the D would screw up in the 4th quarter. This time I wish the offense would have scored more often, which would have been a big help for the D. That's why I see the offense as being a big contributor to the loss.
Oh, absolutely, It's just maddening the way the Vikings always seem to be a lopsided team. When they can score points, they can't stop teams from scoring. when they can stop teams, they can't freakin' score! It'a amazing that any of us who have followed them for a long time remain sane. The offense has failed to put 20 points on the board in 5 of 7 games this year 9and in 4 of them, they scored 10 or less). That's just completely unacceptable.
I'm presently as tired of seeing porous OL pass blocking as I am of late collapses by the D. For example, watching the coaches tape, I saw what I felt were two examples of Cordarrelle Patterson being open but not getting the ball because of a QB sack and hurry. On the sack the defender covering Patterson fell down, leaving him wide open. But Bridgewater was swarmed and sacked. Had Teddy some protection and gotten the ball to an open Patterson, we're probably talking about seven more points added to the Vikings score. That would have helped the D protect the lead a lot.
Indeed. They keep finding ways to break down on offense and all it takes is one or two blown assignments to ruin a play or worse yet, a potential scoring opportunity.

The offense couldn't ask for a better matchup to "get right" than the one they'll have this week. The Bucs players have shown some confusion about how to handle certain coverages in Lovie Smith's version of the Tampa 2 and TB has given up a lot of points this season. Norv needs to design a few plays to encourage more of that confusion and the Vikes need to exploit it.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

:lol: Yes, they did:
:oops:
Guess Zimmer was referring to the 4th and 20 during his presser.