Brian Robison: weak sauce

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

soflavike
Hall of Famer

Brian Robison: weak sauce

Post by soflavike »

Brian Robison called the whole defense out for "checking out" in the Green Bay game... but where the heck has HE been all season?

In 7 games played this season, Robison has 6 solo tackles, 7 assists on tackles and half a sack (no pun intended), no forced fumbles, no fumble recoveries. For comparison, Everson Griffen has 20 solo tackles, 5 assists, 7 sacks, plus a forced fumble.

Robison is not showing that he is an NFL starting caliber DE, and there's nobody backing him up who fits the bill, either. I would put a decent DE high on the Vikings' future shopping list.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Brian Robison: weak sauce

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

soflavike wrote:Brian Robison called the whole defense out for "checking out" in the Green Bay game... but where the heck has HE been all season?

In 7 games played this season, Robison has 6 solo tackles, 7 assists on tackles and half a sack (no pun intended), no forced fumbles, no fumble recoveries. For comparison, Everson Griffen has 20 solo tackles, 5 assists, 7 sacks, plus a forced fumble.

Robison is not showing that he is an NFL starting caliber DE, and there's nobody backing him up who fits the bill, either. I would put a decent DE high on the Vikings' future shopping list.
He has showed he is an NFL starting caliber DE over the past few years. However, age could be getting to him. As for DE, I would like to see what we have in Crichton but he is never active
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
UKno1VIKING
Transition Player

Post by UKno1VIKING »

What worries me is that when they mic-ed him up a couple of weeks ago for the GB game, he was supposed to be the leader in the defense. There was no passion from him at all. He was saying all the right things, but it didn't sound like he cared one bit.
I hope it's not the case, but I'm worried that he's had his payday so now he doesn't care.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

UKno1VIKING wrote:What worries me is that when they mic-ed him up a couple of weeks ago for the GB game, he was supposed to be the leader in the defense. There was no passion from him at all. He was saying all the right things, but it didn't sound like he cared one bit.
I hope it's not the case, but I'm worried that he's had his payday so now he doesn't care.
I don't think thats it. I just don't think he's a fit in Zimmer's defense. He's more in the Jared Allen mold than the Michael Johnson mold. I won't be surprised if they trade him, just because he is much better trying to use quickness around the edge than pushing the pocket, which seems to be what Zimmer wants out of his DEs.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I remembered why I was mad that Robison got a contract extension and Jared Allen didn't. Robison looks old, slow, and worthless. Then again, Jared Allen looks about done in Chicago as well. DE is yet another position of need going into the offseason.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Robison is another example of Rick overpaying for an average, to below average, player. I think Rick wants continuity so bad in both the Oline and Dline, he thinks he can pay for it, and it will automatically happen. Robison isn't getting paid to be a below average DE. I don't understand why the Vikes rush to an extension before they have to, especially with players that haven't really proven themselves. Robison never really even proved himself when JA was in his prime and getting double teamed every play.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Robison is another example of Rick overpaying for an average, to below average, player. I think Rick wants continuity so bad in both the Oline and Dline, he thinks he can pay for it, and it will automatically happen. Robison isn't getting paid to be a below average DE. I don't understand why the Vikes rush to an extension before they have to, especially with players that haven't really proven themselves. Robison never really even proved himself when JA was in his prime and getting double teamed every play.
Before his extension in 2013, Robison compiled 16.5 sacks, 81 tackles and seven batted passes. Add in his 2013 and that brings up his stats to 25 sacks, 77 tackles, 10 batted passes and a fumble recovery for a TD. He led all 4-3 defensive ends last season in hurries with 63! That's not bad production from a former fourth-rounder. His $4 million price tag really isn't that much and isn't a detriment to the team in any way. He's a high-motor guy that causes quite a bit of disruption. I expect they'll move on in the next couple of seasons but he's been a consistent, productive defensive end over the last few years in my eyes. Not a superstar by any means, but I think average to better-than-average LDE all things considered. YMMV
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

EXACTLY!!!
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Good points DP, I'll just add that he did have a sack yesterday but it was negated by the Barr penalty.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote:Good points DP, I'll just add that he did have a sack yesterday but it was negated by the Barr penalty.
He put some pressure on Orton too. I don't think he's been playing poorly and I certainly don't think he's worthless or a below average DE. :confused:
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

I have to say that Robison has not met my expectations, but I am not signing his check. Lucky for him.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

dead_poet wrote: Before his extension in 2013, Robison compiled 16.5 sacks, 81 tackles and seven batted passes. Add in his 2013 and that brings up his stats to 25 sacks, 77 tackles, 10 batted passes and a fumble recovery for a TD. He led all 4-3 defensive ends last season in hurries with 63! That's not bad production from a former fourth-rounder. His $4 million price tag really isn't that much and isn't a detriment to the team in any way. He's a high-motor guy that causes quite a bit of disruption. I expect they'll move on in the next couple of seasons but he's been a consistent, productive defensive end over the last few years in my eyes. Not a superstar by any means, but I think average to better-than-average LDE all things considered. YMMV
6 games, no sack equals an above average LDE? Im going to have to look that up. I hope hope must DE's are disruptive once in a while. Regardless, he is just another overpaid Viking.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: 6 games, no sack equals an above average LDE? Im going to have to look that up. I hope hope must DE's are disruptive once in a while. Regardless, he is just another overpaid Viking.
Robert Quinn has a half sack more than Robison this year. He must be equally as terrible.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:games, no sack equals an above average LDE? Im going to have to look that up. I hope hope must DE's are disruptive once in a while. Regardless, he is just another overpaid Viking.
Getting sacks and being disruptive aren't the same thing and if you don't think Robison is "disruptive once in a while" you aren't paying attention. Good team defense isn't about individual stats. It's about doing your job and forcing plays to go where the defense is designed to make them go.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: He put some pressure on Orton too. I don't think he's been playing poorly and I certainly don't think he's worthless or a below average DE. :confused:
Same here, Jim.

That was a beauty of a sack Robison had on Orton early in the game. No way Robison looked anything but quick on that one.