DRAFT OG ALREADY

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

jackal
Strong Safety

Re: DRAFT OG ALREADY

Post by jackal »

I wouldn't mind if we TRADED OR dumped Kalil, Loadholt and Johnson

They all suck or are under performing for us right now !!!
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

jackal wrote:I wouldn't mind if we TRADED OR dumped Kalil, Loadholt and Johnson

They all suck or are under performing for us right now !!!
Johnson can be a backup, he isn't much worse then Load, and is better then Kalil. And he can play tackle. He's cheap, one guy Rick hasn't overpaid. But yea, our Oline needs to be fixed.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Johnson can be a backup, he isn't much worse then Load, and is better then Kalil. And he can play tackle. He's cheap, one guy Rick hasn't overpaid. But yea, our Oline needs to be fixed.
Sorry but in no way is Johnson a better LT than Kalil. When Johnson was our LT, he was FAR AND AWAY one of the worst in the league if not THE worst. He is overly undersized, as slow footed as they come, and now 30 years old. For anyone to think Charlie Johnson should be our LT now or is a "better option" than Kalil is just laughable. Our o-line is definitely hurting right now but in no way, shape or form would that help. That's the biggest head-scratcher I've heard in a longgggg time :rofl:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

:shock:
Johnson was terrible at tackle. Worse than Loadholt or Kalil. At least Kalil and Loadholt have good moments. Johnson was just plain bad. Most of the time...completely out of place...
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Demi wrote::shock:
Johnson was terrible at tackle. Worse than Loadholt or Kalil. At least Kalil and Loadholt have good moments. Johnson was just plain bad. Most of the time...completely out of place...
Yeah Johnson was as bad as they get. We have agreed on something!! :beerchug:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Demi wrote::shock:
My point is, this year Johnson is doing better. Look it up.

It doesn't matter, as far as dropping one of them, we still owe too much money on them next year. I would love to see Davidson use the other guards and tackles we have, and replace people on the line, for like a series each. I believe we really need to see what Teddy and McKinnon are made of, but they need a better line then so far this year. McK did some serious running last week, but you can tell, he got hit right at the line, more times then not.
Superfreak84
Veteran

Post by Superfreak84 »

How about we draft 2 guards and 2 tackles. And a center
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Superfreak84 wrote:How about we draft 2 guards and 2 tackles. And a center
No need for a center or RG. I still don't even mind Loadholt. He was of the best run blocking OTs in the NFL. The left side is what makes me nervous
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I'm anxious to see Harris get another game at Guard. It would be nice if he could be the answer at LG next season, and that might leave us with LT as the only desperate hole on the offensive line.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote:I'm anxious to see Harris get another game at Guard. It would be nice if he could be the answer at LG next season, and that might leave us with LT as the only desperate hole on the offensive line.
I would just love to see one promising game out of Kalil so I could know that he still has what he did his rookie season. He did do a pretty good job against St. Louis but outside of that its been rough
-Chazz Palminteri
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Being that Kalil is regressing since his rookie year suggests that the USC OL coach is better than Davidson.
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

You have to wonder if there is some nagging injury that is hindering Kalil. If not, you then wonder if this guy takes pride in his play and is not just collecting a paycheck.
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

CbusVikesFan wrote:You have to wonder if there is some nagging injury that is hindering Kalil. If not, you then wonder if this guy takes pride in his play and is not just collecting a paycheck.
I wonder if part of the problem is that he is a 180 pound man in an offensive tackle's body. I know people were concerned about that before he was drafted. He's had trouble putting on weight and keeping on weight when trying to build strength. I think his struggles are a combination of his lack of strength and size and his psychological state at this point. I don't think he will ever be an elite OT.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote: I wonder if part of the problem is that he is a 180 pound man in an offensive tackle's body. I know people were concerned about that before he was drafted. He's had trouble putting on weight and keeping on weight when trying to build strength. I think his struggles are a combination of his lack of strength and size and his psychological state at this point. I don't think he will ever be an elite OT.

I think his problems are primarily technique-oriented, but maybe size and strength have something to do with it too. I also don't think the OL as a whole has completely grasped how to handle certain situations in the new offensive scheme.

This link 808Vikings fans posted in another thread actually has some good insight into how and why a few of the sacks Kalil has allowed this season occurred:

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football ... et/2203370
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote:
I think his problems are primarily technique-oriented, but maybe size and strength have something to do with it too. I also don't think the OL as a whole has completely grasped how to handle certain situations in the new offensive scheme.

This link 808Vikings fans posted in another thread actually has some good insight into how and why a few of the sacks Kalil has allowed this season occurred:

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football ... et/2203370
That is a good read. I have no doubt technique is a factor as well. Obviously all of these things are factors and so its just a matter of trying to identify which problems are primary. Of course its tough to do because they are all interrelated. Ansah obliterated Kalil's hands, as have several opponents this year, and I think in addition to technique he just lacks upper body strength compared with the guys he is going against. That in turn makes him more reliant on his technique to be successful, so any errors in that part of his game are amplified.

One thing that's tough about Kalil is that his problems aren't those that plague so many OTs who fail to transition, like foot speed. Those players can still have value being pushed inside. I don't think Kalil has anywhere else to go. Either figure it out or he's gone.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins