OLine & Wrs

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

A.D_blazing
Transition Player

OLine & Wrs

Post by A.D_blazing »

Clearly, vikings have one of the worst Oline in the NFL and bad wrs.
Last edited by A.D_blazing on Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: OLine...

Post by Boon »

Doesn't matter, in my opinion this teams biggest issue by far is norv turner and his musgrave like playcalling
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

Boon wrote:Doesn't matter, in my opinion this teams biggest issue by far is norv turner and his musgrave like playcalling
What is Norv supposed to do? Teddy didn't play good today, but he had some huge 3rd down conversions.

You almost literally can't run an offense when your o-line is this bad.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

yezzir wrote: What is Norv supposed to do? Teddy didn't play good today, but he had some huge 3rd down conversions.

You almost literally can't run an offense when your o-line is this bad.
You also don't hand the ball off to a fullback on 3rd and 1 with 11 in the box
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

If he gets sacked, I would rather take that chance and move the ball than run 2 yard routes and fullback handoffs all day. This is a coordinator, who is supposedly known for stretching the field and making defenses pay for blitzing. he has a rookie quarterback, and I understand that, but jesus christ watch the replay and tell me this playcalling wasn't way below average
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Intermediate routes are almost non existent. And don't tell me he doesnt have enough time, when orton took a three step drop on 4th and 20, gets leveled right after he throws the ball and hits a guy for a 20 yard gain. It doesn't take much time , it takes coaching and the guy needs to call those kinds of plays, stop being bad, my #### god .

Team is so damn frustrating.
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

Boon wrote:If he gets sacked, I would rather take that chance and move the ball than run 2 yard routes and fullback handoffs all day. This is a coordinator, who is supposedly known for stretching the field and making defenses pay for blitzing. he has a rookie quarterback, and I understand that, but jesus christ watch the replay and tell me this playcalling wasn't way below average
Point taken on the fullback hand off. Stretching the offense is a mute option when the QB can't drop back.

I think Norv is just trying to get the ball out of Teddy's hands quickly, it's that or take too many sacks.

I do like seeing Teddy go through his progressions though. You can see his eyes looking down field at all different receivers. He seems a little gun shy, but that idea can lead to the receivers not getting open argument (Patterson).
A.D_blazing
Transition Player

Post by A.D_blazing »

You almost literally can't run an offense when your o-line is this bad
:thumbsup:
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Boon wrote: You also don't hand the ball off to a fullback on 3rd and 1 with 11 in the box

Three times I told my Brother in Law which play was coming on a 3rd down and was right every time. One of which was the Felton handoff. The other two were short routes on a 3rd and long. If I know what play is coming, and I am just a fan, not a coach who gets paid to be a step ahead of the competition, then you have to know the other team knows what is coming. It was a gutless performance again from the Viking offense.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Boon wrote:Doesn't matter, in my opinion this teams biggest issue by far is norv turner and his musgrave like playcalling
here it is simple simon: Bad Oline = Bad Offense. Not much a Coordinater can do with that
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Boon wrote:If he gets sacked, I would rather take that chance and move the ball than run 2 yard routes and fullback handoffs all day. This is a coordinator, who is supposedly known for stretching the field and making defenses pay for blitzing. he has a rookie quarterback, and I understand that, but jesus christ watch the replay and tell me this playcalling wasn't way below average
I wouldn't have passed the ball on 1st and goal from the 7, I would have pounded it in. Considering how pass protection and bridgewater were performing I think that would have been the safer bet, but otherwise I didn't find much objectionable.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Re: OLine & Wrs

Post by Slick Rick »

Your offensive line can only do so much when you have one of the lowest ranked offenses in the league. If you aren't moving the ball, it's rare that an offensive line is going to be looking any too great.

As for the WRs, I think that Jennings and Wright are doing a pretty solid job. We don't have an elite receiver like most top offenses do, and that goes a long way for not only your receiving corps, but your offense as a whole. It's like getting Adrian Peterson back: their secondary is going to be focused on him and regardless of whether or not he can still get open, the other receivers are going to get more opportunities.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Buffalo has a very good defense, especially up front. We went toe-to-toe with them all day, and generally played a little bit better than they did on both sides of the ball. It simply wasn't in the cards when they scored on us at the end.
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

Slick Rick wrote:Your offensive line can only do so much when you have one of the lowest ranked offenses in the league. If you aren't moving the ball, it's rare that an offensive line is going to be looking any too great.

As for the WRs, I think that Jennings and Wright are doing a pretty solid job. We don't have an elite receiver like most top offenses do, and that goes a long way for not only your receiving corps, but your offense as a whole. It's like getting Adrian Peterson back: their secondary is going to be focused on him and regardless of whether or not he can still get open, the other receivers are going to get more opportunities.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Buffalo has a very good defense, especially up front. We went toe-to-toe with them all day, and generally played a little bit better than they did on both sides of the ball. It simply wasn't in the cards when they scored on us at the end.
The o-line is the foundation of an offense. Your first sentence kinda argues with itself.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Slick Rick wrote:Your offensive line can only do so much when you have one of the lowest ranked offenses in the league. If you aren't moving the ball, it's rare that an offensive line is going to be looking any too great.
The game is won in the trenches, meaning the OL isn't dependent upon the skill positions. It's the other way around. The OL is the foundation of the offensive attack. If they fail, and they have been lately, then the play is pretty much doomed. This is especially true when a team's QB is a rookie.

Watch the last game again. And also, if you still have it, watch the game against Detroit. If you watch the OL closely, you'll see what I mean. They are painfully flat-footed and beyond porous in pass protection.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/cap/2015/

Here are our cap numbers for the entire team. But let's look strictly O-line:

Loadholt - 6.7 million (3.5 dead money), Johnson - 2.5 million (0 dead money), Sullivan - 5.75 million (1 million dead money), Kalil - 6.29 million (6.29 million)

In summary, we are screwed tackle wise. Loadholt and Kalil will have huge cap implications if they are cut. Sullivan and Johnson are easy outs if needed be (Johnson needs to GTFO for sure). The best thing to due in my opinion would be to cut Loadholt, move Kalil to RT, and draft a new LT.

This offensive line needs to be blown up and redone. Fusco is the only player worth his weight anymore. Kalil might be salvageable at RT yet.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.