Vikings @ Bills Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 7

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Slick Rick
Transition Player

Re: Vikings @ Bills Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 7

Post by Slick Rick »

I think you have to stop yourself from reacting too much, and realize that it's only a game. I feel the same way about fans who don't see the Vikings as one of the most successful organizations simply because we haven't won a Super Bowl. I wouldn't trade all of our wins just to see one big one. Tampa Bay fans have generally suffered a lot more than we have, but some people would rather have their franchise history than ours. I'll take all of the heartbreaking losses over consistent floundering any day.

As far as the organization right now, I'm still optimistic even though they're nowhere near my expectations. We have a lot of good pieces, and I'm hoping that we can add a true #1 receiver this offseason.
tmscr
Transition Player

Post by tmscr »

Slick Rick wrote:I think you have to stop yourself from reacting too much, and realize that it's only a game. I feel the same way about fans who don't see the Vikings as one of the most successful organizations simply because we haven't won a Super Bowl. I wouldn't trade all of our wins just to see one big one. Tampa Bay fans have generally suffered a lot more than we have, but some people would rather have their franchise history than ours. I'll take all of the heartbreaking losses over consistent floundering any day.

As far as the organization right now, I'm still optimistic even though they're nowhere near my expectations. We have a lot of good pieces, and I'm hoping that we can add a true #1 receiver this offseason.
Believe me, I have a career and a life, I don't let the fortunes of a football team dictate my mood. It was a rant of frustration, coming to the realization that most people who follow this team could have scripted the final minutes of today's game to a T and been absolutely right at the outcome. We've all seen it so many times. It's all supposed to get better, but does it ever?
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

The defense played quite poorly on major plays in that last series but they forced multiple punts, got tons of sacks and fought through 2 interceptions to get 4 turnovers of their own and held the team to under 20 points. The special teams play well in coverage, in returns and kicked a 55 yard field goal.

When is the OFFENSE going to start producing? Back to back games with fine defense and special teams performances and the offense laid a goose egg.

Idiotic, give up run plays and draw plays, terrible penalties, tons of sacks again, just terrible.
What the hell?
tmscr
Transition Player

Post by tmscr »

Hunter Morrow wrote:The defense played quite poorly on major plays in that last series but they forced multiple punts, got tons of sacks and fought through 2 interceptions to get 4 turnovers of their own and held the team to under 20 points. The special teams play well in coverage, in returns and kicked a 55 yard field goal.

When is the OFFENSE going to start producing? Back to back games with fine defense and special teams performances and the offense laid a goose egg.

Idiotic, give up run plays and draw plays, terrible penalties, tons of sacks again, just terrible.
What the hell?
Begins and ends up front. The poor line play greatly exposes bridgewaters immaturity and weaknesses. The vikings actually had decent field position for most of the game, thanks to solid defense and punting, but were unable to muster more than 3 field goals and a td. First and goal at the 7 can't turn into 3rd and 20+. I thought the play book didn't play to bridgewaters strengths. Very few roll outs, or even a QB draw or two.

Let me also say I'm underwhelmed with zimmer, although it's obviously early. I hear a lot about "fighting" and not giving up, yet the vikings never showed up against the packers played a series against the patriots and allowed the lions to come into minnesota without the best WR in the game and their top RB and roll all over them. Maybe the talent isn't there, and the defense has obviously improved, but I'm still seeing a pretty lousy team.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

I agree the defense put in a solid effort today, but giving up the 4th and 20 with the game on the line kind of ruined the day, don't you think?

It seems this is a Viking specialty, the "bend and eventually break" defense.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Things wont change till we have a different owner(s) or a GM that really knows what he is doing. Lack of talent is pointing right at Rick Spielman. He has done more damage then good, as have the Wilfs. Its like we are caught up in Groundhog Day, same things happening every few years, over and over. I much preferred Tice trying to run the team, with stingy Red as an owner.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

tmscr wrote: Believe me, I have a career and a life, I don't let the fortunes of a football team dictate my mood. It was a rant of frustration, coming to the realization that most people who follow this team could have scripted the final minutes of today's game to a T and been absolutely right at the outcome. We've all seen it so many times. It's all supposed to get better, but does it ever?
It hasn't yet!

For me, it is beyond rationality. I cheer for the Vikings because ever since I can remember I have been doing it. Does it feel like a condemnation sometimes? Yes. But over the years these kinds of games smart less. Wait till they get our expectations up high again--when they compile enough talent to truly be contenders and they get deep into the post-season again... then the stakes are much higher and a game like today can do a number on you. I figure that if I am granted 80 years of life, by my 8th decade I will watch the Vikings with a kind of Buddhist detachment of caring and not caring simultaneously. Valhalla, I am coming!
Beo
Backup

Post by Beo »

Chad Greenway needs to sit and be cut in the offseason. That coverage on Scott Chandler on 4th and 20 cost us the game and let's face it he has been horrible for awhile now. I love the guy and he once was a great player for us but I have to believe Mauti, Cole, or someone could at least cover Scott Chandler going right down the seam.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Beo wrote:Chad Greenway needs to sit and be cut in the offseason. That coverage on Scott Chandler on 4th and 20 cost us the game and let's face it he has been horrible for awhile now. I love the guy and he once was a great player for us but I have to believe Mauti, Cole, or someone could at least cover Scott Chandler going right down the seam.
I hardly think that one play was the reason that they lost. Didn't Greenway cause a fumble and was on several tackles. He is past his prime but still brings a whole lot to this team with his leadership.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

tmscr wrote:At what point do you questions your sanity for supporting a team mired in underachievement while so many around us have gone to the next level and excelled? It's like a culture of failure that I'm having trouble finding support for.
How often do I question my sanity? Every time I sit down to watch the Vikings on Sunday. Been a fan for over 40 years. I must be certifiable. :lol:
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Overall, it's a pretty crappy loss. I was at the game and there were so many situations where we had that game won. I am starting to think that this offense is just too young to win right now. Our QB, starting RB, and #1 WR average the age of 22. Our offensive line is obviously not playing good and we don't have much of a TE game with Rudolph out as well.

Players who stuck out to me on defense:

-Anthony Barr- he's been just an absolute beast day in a day out. Great trade back/pick by Spielman

-Shariff Floyd- was a BEAST today. He continued to get a lot of penetration which one time resulted in a sack, was solid vs the run, TFL, 2 QB hits. Happy to see him step up

-Everson Griffen- stepped up big yesterday. He was a force on the outside and racked up 3 sacks

-Chad Greenway- outside of the pass to Chandler which he actually had decent coverage on, he played great. He had 15 tackles today which is a stupid amount. He has a natural nose for the ball. At this point, I wish we could have Chad go to MLB and put Hodges on the outside. It would be much better than having Brinkley.

-Linval Joseph- some have said he wasn't a good signing and quite frankly I have argued that every week. Joseph has done a great job the past few weeks. He is playing better vs. the run and has done a great job rushing the passer for a 325 lb DT.

-Tom Johnson- GREAT depth signing by Spielman. This guy makes plays week in and week out.

Xavier Rhodes- granted he is sometimes an overly physical CB but that's not always a bad thing. He had some great plays yesterday but like Greenway, gave up a key one.

Robert Blanton- Got an INT and a fumble recovery. Was out of position on a few plays but overall he looked much better.

Who stuck out to me on offense:

-Jerick McKinnon- He's looking better and better every week and is excelling in YAC. I think there are going to start feeding him more and more each week.

-Greg Jennings- stepped up yesterday and played a much better game. I've always said, is he overpaid?? Yeah probably, but there isn't a more reliable WR out there when you are throwing their way. Great route runner with great hands. It just kind of stinks that we had to overpay him to do it.

-Jarius Wright- I have liked him ever since his rookie year. I think he is a very solid #3 WR to have and provides great depth. He reminds me of a poor man's Steve Smith, small guy that can do it all

-Mike Harris- did a decent job filling in for Ducasse. I would much rather see him there at this point.

Who looked rough:

-Our offensive line- this one is obvious

-Brian Robison- not sure what is going on with him but he has been M.I.A. for weeks now.

-Jasper Brinkley- another one that has disappeared. Not expecting much out of him anyways but I think we would be better off with Greenway at MIKE

-Teddy Bridgewater- not worried here. Its hard to judge him with offensive line play being that bad. But as I have said in the past, he's a 21 year old kid playing QB. What do you honestly expect?
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

I thought Brinkley actually played quite well. Would have been nice to have Hodges in the game for that 4th and 20. He's been our best LB in coverage this season. You're right though, Chad actually had himself a nice game.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Things wont change till we have a different owner(s) or a GM that really knows what he is doing. Lack of talent is pointing right at Rick Spielman. He has done more damage then good, as have the Wilfs. Its like we are caught up in Groundhog Day, same things happening every few years, over and over. I much preferred Tice trying to run the team, with stingy Red as an owner.
I think Tice had a good vision for the team that was coming together slowly but he was really limited by McCombs.

I think you're too tough on Spielman. He's made good moves and bad but we're only now in a phase of his employment with the Vikings where we're really going to be able to see if he can build a sustainable, winning team or not. We have get a pretty good idea about that over the next few seasons.
jbasile
Waterboy

Post by jbasile »

Well, hats off to the Vikes. You guys had us on the ropes. We hurt ourselves too. Thankfully we have a good defense which so far this season has kept us in most games despite shoddy offensive play.

They way the Vikings lost that game is something we Bills fans have become accustomed to. That was a game we actually won even though we really didnt play very well. We typically lose games like this and have for about a decade and a half now.

Watching that comeback drive engineered by Kyle Orton was a real surprise to all of us. Kyle is a guy that can manage games for us. No he's not Joe Montana by any stretch but his veteran presence has meant a lot to our young players so far. I never realized how tough a guy he is either. He's been getting hit hard quite a bit so far. Thanks to our O-line which I do believe is the weakest link on our football team.

As a "hopefully" realistic fan of the Buffalo Bills: My dream season this year would be to sneak into the playoffs on a wild card...and lose the 1st game. We've been so bad for so long even that would make me very happy.

You guys lost Adrian...Bummer. We lost both Freddy and CJ yesterday. Looks like CJ gone for the season. Freddy probably 4 weeks they are saying.

I look forward to watching Teddy develop as the QB of the Vikes. I really like this kid. Watched a lot of him at Louisville and hoped the Bills would have taken him even though I knew they wouldnt since they'd already drafted EJ the year before. I laughed at the analysts when they beat on him because of a "bad pro-day" performance. Like that means anything. LOL.

Anyway just wanted to stop in here and say.

All the best on the rest of your season and please...for all teams...NO INJURIES. (I hate injuries even for the opposition.)

jb
Rochester, NY
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

jbasile wrote:Well, hats off to the Vikes. You guys had us on the ropes. We hurt ourselves too. Thankfully we have a good defense which so far this season has kept us in most games despite shoddy offensive play.

They way the Vikings lost that game is something we Bills fans have become accustomed to. That was a game we actually won even though we really didnt play very well. We typically lose games like this and have for about a decade and a half now.

Watching that comeback drive engineered by Kyle Orton was a real surprise to all of us. Kyle is a guy that can manage games for us. No he's not Joe Montana by any stretch but his veteran presence has meant a lot to our young players so far. I never realized how tough a guy he is either. He's been getting hit hard quite a bit so far. Thanks to our O-line which I do believe is the weakest link on our football team.

As a "hopefully" realistic fan of the Buffalo Bills: My dream season this year would be to sneak into the playoffs on a wild card...and lose the 1st game. We've been so bad for so long even that would make me very happy.

You guys lost Adrian...Bummer. We lost both Freddy and CJ yesterday. Looks like CJ gone for the season. Freddy probably 4 weeks they are saying.

I look forward to watching Teddy develop as the QB of the Vikes. I really like this kid. Watched a lot of him at Louisville and hoped the Bills would have taken him even though I knew they wouldnt since they'd already drafted EJ the year before. I laughed at the analysts when they beat on him because of a "bad pro-day" performance. Like that means anything. LOL.

Anyway just wanted to stop in here and say.

All the best on the rest of your season and please...for all teams...NO INJURIES. (I hate injuries even for the opposition.)

jb
Rochester, NY
Thanks for stopping by and sharing your perspective. Good luck to the Bills the rest of the way. I've always liked Orton and he's clearly providing your team with some leadership and "clutch performance football" right now. I hope your Bills do better than a wildcard. It's time for someone to knock NE off their perch atop the AFC East. Go out and win that division!