100% Speculation - C.J. Spiller Trade Rumors.

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

100% Speculation - C.J. Spiller Trade Rumors.

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -for-bills

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... eculation/

Okay. I understand this team would probably not make a move if Spiller were available. It is pretty improbable given that we will want to give Jerrick every opportunity. However, given the whole Peterson situation and the fact he may never play for us again, it raises an interesting question.

Compensation for Spiller may be more than his current market value. However, if Buffalo does indeed put him on the block and he is available for a fourth round pick or lower, I would be interested in pulling the trigger.

Thoughts from anyone? I am sorry if this didn't deserve its own thread, but I didn't see a trade deadline thread posted.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Re: 100% Speculation - C.J. Spiller Trade Rumors.

Post by TSonn »

Definitely look into it. Only get serious if AD is found guilty.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

TSonn wrote:Definitely look into it. Only get serious if AD is found guilty.
Which we won't know until months from now. The trade deadline is October 28.

Spiller is pretty much what we're hoping McKinnon can be. They are very similar in size (Spiller is 5'11/200 and McKinnon is 5'9/208). The coaching staff likes Asiata and the book isn't closed on Peterson. For those reasons, I doubt they make a move.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

I have virtually NO expectations that the Vikes will try to retain AP.....His own admissions are kind of self-damning and his inablility to keep his damn mouth shut garauntees future controversy......I doub the Wilfs really WANT to deal with APs baggage.....AP is more suited to the Raiders
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

If he's cheap, what the heck go for it. Need to try and field an NFL level offense at some point.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

If he can play the RB spot. Because Asiata is the only guy we have that has. And, well, he isn't scarring anyone.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:If he can play the RB spot. Because Asiata is the only guy we have that has. And, well, he isn't scarring anyone.
He sure did - he scarred me when I watched him muff that easy pass and it was picked off...

:v):
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingLord wrote: He sure did - he scarred me when I watched him muff that easy pass and it was picked off...

:v):
LOL! well played.

PurpleKoolAid, one of your typos struck again! ;)
Purpnation
Franchise Player

Post by Purpnation »

AP is gone, sad but true. If we can get Spiller for a reasonable value, go for it.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

If Buffalo want to part with Spiller the way they parted with Marshawn Lynch, I'm game.
London Viking
Practice Squad

Post by London Viking »

I say we forget about Spiller who it seems is becoming a bit of a spent force in Buffalo and look at the possibility of Gurley in the draft.

We've become so accustomed to seeing a leading back over the years and this kid seems the best Rb prospect to come out in years could he be what we are looking for to step into the big AP size void we have at present. ....not saying spend a 1st on him but if we are picking early 2nd why not??
London Viking
Practice Squad

Post by London Viking »

Also add if Lynch is up for grabs in free agency we should try our hardest to pick him up
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Lynch is getting old and has some hard miles on him. I'd pass.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I don't know, y'all.

Spiller gives you the occasional highlight, but he isn't a workhorse, and he isn't exactly lighting it up this year at 3.4 ypc. He's also never been a consistent threat in the passing game.

The Vikings need a back who can produce while shouldering the burden of 20 touches per game ... not another third-down back.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Interesting takes from everyone. I appreciate everyone not ripping my head off and saying how pointless this thread was. :lol:

The way I see it, Peterson may never play for us again. IMO, Minnesota will join the masses and form a two-back system if Peterson is gone. I don't think this team will focus on having a bell-cow halfback should that scenario play out.

In my mind, going after Spiller makes sense. I know he and McKinnon are pretty similar, but Spiller is an experienced HB and not just solely an athlete. I think a two-back system of Spiller and McKinnon would create a lot of mismatch potential and open up the offense a bit more.

That being said, the possibility of this happening is essentially zero.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.