Mike Zimmer sees progress in Xavier Rhodes, Josh Robinson

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Mike Zimmer sees progress in Xavier Rhodes, Josh Robinson

Post by dead_poet »

http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... h-robinson
According to Pro Football Focus, quarterbacks have a passer rating of just 53.3 when throwing at Robinson (the seventh lowest in the NFL), and a mark of 71.0 when targeting Rhodes (19th lowest among cornerbacks). Passers have had more success against Munnerlyn, completing 16 of 22 passes targeted at him for 199 yards and three touchdowns.
"Everybody wants to get interceptions; I got that, but there’s something to be said about your guy not catching the ball and them having to go somewhere else," Zimmer said. "To me, that’s a big value if my guy isn’t catching the ball, because I can worry about other things. Maybe I’m the only one that thinks that way but I do."
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
losperros
Commissioner

Re: Mike Zimmer sees progress in Xavier Rhodes, Josh Robinso

Post by losperros »

Thanks for this, DP.

I cannot say how happy I am that both Rhodes and Robinson are showing improvement.

Add to that Harrison Smith and the Vikings have three young guys that could help turn the D secondary into something special.

I sure wish Munnerlyn was doing better. Wonder what the problem is? Maybe he's like Winfield and more of an all-purpose CB than a cover guy.

Then again, Winfield was an all-purpose CB because he was good at everything, including coverage.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Munnerlyn has been a big disappointment. I can't believe he's our third best corner right now.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Isn't Munnerlyn usually covering the #1 WR? If so, he is drawing the tough assignment. Not making excuses, just musing if it is more than just not playing up to snuff.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I thought Captain covered the slot.

If Robinson can become a good CB, I will have a lot of crow to eat. He seems to be out of position so much more then Rhodes. But the refs keep a VERY close eye on Rhodes. I think they want to make an example of him, because he is a physical CB. Rhodes may one day be a very good CB, at least he has shown progression.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I thought Captain covered the slot.
To be honest, I don't know. I do know I agree that he has been a disappointment so far, though. Thought he would be a solid player.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Captain is usually in the slot when we go nickel, in which case Robinson and Rhodes are the outside corners. Robinson has been better than fine this year, he's playing really good football, and has been our best cornerback, with Rhodes right behind him. Captain has been pretty bad, unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Rhodes typically is on the #1 guy, and Cap typically plays the #2 (either in base, or more commonly the slot which has become the second read in most offenses).