Film Cut Ups - Lions @ Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

frosted
Career Elite Player

Film Cut Ups - Lions @ Vikings

Post by frosted »

1st and 10 at DET 15 (7:42) T.Bridgewater pass deep middle intended for C.Patterson INTERCEPTED by G.Quin at DET -2. G.Quin to DET 18 for 20 yards (J.McKinnon).

The first play I wanted to take a look at was the redzone interception Ted threw. The Vikes came out with a singleback set, but motioned Rhett into the backfield, effectively this was an offset I formation with twin receivers split out to the right (Cordarelle and Jennings). The Lions come out in a 4-3, their base defense, and only send the four down lineman. Norv kept Rhett and McKinnon in to block, so in essence, the Vikings have seven blockers for four pass rushers, so it's not wonder the pocket is clean. That hurt us though, as we only have three receivers running a route. The Lions have their backers in zone underneath, and it appears to be switching zones with man concepts for the defensive backfield.

Chase Ford runs an out route on the left of the formation, and is not open, as he is picked up by the Lions cornerback. Jennings and Patterson both run a post pattern at essentially the same depth. Perhaps the play design was supposed to drag the safety away from Flash with Jennings, but Glover Quin doesn't bite and easily undercuts the pattern, and picks this one off. Seemed like a bad play design to me, maybe Patterson screwed his route up, I don't know. One positive to draw from this, Loadholt easily handled his assignment here, without any help.

Ted may have been better served tucking this and getting what yards he could running after he saw the congestion around Greg and Flash. He stared Cordarelle down the whole time, and that allowed Quin to read and react to the throw.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Re: Film Cut Ups - Lions @ Vikings

Post by frosted »

3rd and 9 at MIN 21 (3:22) (Shotgun) T.Bridgewater sacked at MIN 20 for -1 yards (N.Suh).

I wanted to look at this play, because it was the drive after Ted threw the red zone interception, and I get the feeling based on how this one went down, that he may have been a bit hesitant to pull the trigger because of it.

The Lions again rush only four, and the Vikings offensive line (plus McKinnon) form a nice pocket for Ted, giving him more than enough time to get the ball out to Jennings on the post pattern going from left to right. It looks like he had a window to get him the ball, but he hesitates, Suh sheds Vlad's block, and Ted takes the sack. Of note, no one else got open.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

I'm enjoying these. Thanks for doing them.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Excellent work.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Love these!
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

1st and 10 at DET 32 (14:35) T.Riddick left end to DET 33 for 1 yard (L.Joseph).

Barr and Hodges both kick some *** on this play.

As you can see, the Vikings come out in their nickel defense (Harrison actually moves down into the box as well, you can just see him to Barr's left in the first cut up), and the Lions are in an Ace formation, with '11' personnel on the field (3 WR, TE, HB).

The play is a simple zone stretch, and Riddick is simply tasked with finding his lane, making one cut and getting up field. This failed for a variety of reasons, but in essence, everyone played within the scheme, and wouldn't you know it, the scheme worked. Griffen and Linval both hold their own at the point of attack, forcing Riddick outside. Hodges takes on the Lions left guard, and does an awesome job, not only setting the edge and forcing Riddick to cut back inside toward the pursuit, but also getting off the block, and helping to clean up on the tackle. Meanwhile, Barr is engaged with the other guard, quickly scrapes off of him, and makes the play, going downhill into Riddick's only option to cut back into, stopping him for a 1 yard loss. Joseph is credited with the tackle for hopping on the pile at the end haha. You can't see that in these cut ups.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Nice work. On the first play, he either needs to run or throw it away. Can't leave points on the board like that hopefully he'll learn.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

If you guys have a particular play from Sunday's game that you'd like me to share, I'd gladly do so.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

S197 wrote:Nice work. On the first play, he either needs to run or throw it away. Can't leave points on the board like that hopefully he'll learn.

I think Bridgewater's mistake was he stared down Patterson. The safety was leaning toward Patterson the whole way. Quin would have been hung dry if BW recognized this. Jennings was wide open in the endzone.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

frosted21 wrote:Chase Ford runs an out route on the left of the formation, and is not open, as he is picked up by the Lions cornerback. Jennings and Patterson both run a post pattern at essentially the same depth. Perhaps the play design was supposed to drag the safety away from Flash with Jennings, but Glover Quin doesn't bite and easily undercuts the pattern, and picks this one off. Seemed like a bad play design to me, maybe Patterson screwed his route up, I don't know. One positive to draw from this, Loadholt easily handled his assignment here, without any help.

Ted may have been better served tucking this and getting what yards he could running after he saw the congestion around Greg and Flash. He stared Cordarelle down the whole time, and that allowed Quin to read and react to the throw.
I think that sums up the problem. I actually like the play design. If Bridgewater had looked at Jennings he might have been able to hold Quin to the left with his eyes. That may have left Patterson in single coverage. As you suggested, that seems to be how this play design was intended to work. It looks like Bridgewater tipped the safety with his eyes, and that led to the INT.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

frosted21 wrote:I wanted to look at this play, because it was the drive after Ted threw the red zone interception, and I get the feeling based on how this one went down, that he may have been a bit hesitant to pull the trigger because of it.

The Lions again rush only four, and the Vikings offensive line (plus McKinnon) form a nice pocket for Ted, giving him more than enough time to get the ball out to Jennings on the post pattern going from left to right. It looks like he had a window to get him the ball, but he hesitates, Suh sheds Vlad's block, and Ted takes the sack. Of note, no one else got open.
It looks like Jennings' route took him from a jam off the line to congestion involving the CB covering him and the LB covering Ford. Then he briefly flashed open as he came out from behind the LB. His route took him right at a safety. The gap between the safety, Jennings and the CB closes pretty quickly so I think for Teddy to complete that pass, he would have had to anticipate Jennings coming open and the ball would need to be have been there for GJ shortly after he emerged from behind the LB, somewhere around the 30 to 32 yard line. It's not an impossible throw but I think it's one that requires great timing and a great deal of trust. TB and GJ may not quite be there yet. The hesitation you mentioned was understandable, if unfortunate. :(
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

I'm with those that think Teddy probably should have run on the first play.

Regarding Teddy staring down a WR, maybe he does that too often. Has anyone said anything about that? It sure is a common mistake for rookie QBs in the NFL.

I'm with Moth in thinking the gap between coverages on Jennings closes fast. I'm not sure Bridgewater completes that one unless he knows exactly where Jennings will be. But then, maybe he should know that and didn't trust either Jennings or himself with the timing.

I'm still betting that Bridgewater has the physical skills and emotional toughness to learn from mistakes and become a heck of a QB.

Nice D play by our two young LBs. We need both Barr and Hodges to keep improving. They have the talent to be playmakers.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:I'm with those that think Teddy probably should have run on the first play.

Regarding Teddy staring down a WR, maybe he does that too often. Has anyone said anything about that? It sure is a common mistake for rookie QBs in the NFL
If I'm not mistaken, they mentioned it on the broadcast after the INT. It's definitely a common mistake among young QBs.

I forgot to say it earlier but many thanks to frosted21 for posting these cut-ups.
44crm
Backup

Post by 44crm »

thanks for putting up the plays, this is great.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Thanks for the cut ups!