Film Cut Ups - Lions @ Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Film Cut Ups - Lions @ Vikings

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Demi wrote: :twisted:
Lol...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

1st and 10 at MIN 17 (12:14) (Shotgun) T.Bridgewater pass incomplete short right to J.Wright (D.Slay). PENALTY on DET-R.Mathis, Illegal Use of Hands, 5 yards, enforced at MIN 17 - No Play.

The Lions are in their nickel defense here. Their three cornerbacks are manned up on our three receivers. Flash is at the top of the screen, Wright at the bottom, and Jennings is in the slot. With safety James Ihedigbo down in the box, it looks like a 4-3 defense. The free safety (Quin) is in a deep zone. The two linebackers and Ihedigbo drop into zone coverage underneath, but this play doesn't attack that part of the field. The Lions rush four down lineman.

The important thing is - and you can see from my crude drawings - Wright and Flash both run comebacks, and Jennings is running a crossing pattern behind the linebackers, but well in front of the free safety. Ted executes the play fake, and McKinnon blocks for a count before leaking out into the flat, and being picked up by Ihedigbo. Our TE stays in to block. The pocket is clean and Ted has plenty of time, but he just makes a poor read here. Jennings has separation for days, and he ends up trying to force the ball in to Jarius. It's, incomplete, but luckily, Rashean Mathis (covering Patterson) is called for illegal use of hands. Replay first down.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Uf. Jennings is WIDE open.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I really hope Teddy gets better at reading the defenses...that's a horrible miss.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

808vikingsfan wrote:Barr's Athleticism
Super impressive. I think we have something with him and Hodges.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Don't know where to put this. Didn't think it needed it's own thread.

Vikings: Tom Johnson continues strong play.

In an early season surprise, journeyman defensive tackle Tom Johnson is the 2nd highest-graded player on the Minnesota defense.

Johnson even outranks the Vikings two recent draft picks in defensive tackles Shamar Stephen and Sharrif Floyd. His +6.5 overall grade includes a team leading +4.6 pass rush grade and a +0.8 run grade as well. He currently ranks 4th in Defensive Tackle/ Nose Tackle Pass Rushing Productivity, a result of his 11 total pressures in just 93 pass rushing attempts.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

3rd and 2 at DET 46 (11:39) T.Bridgewater pass short middle intended for C.Patterson INTERCEPTED by T.Whitehead (D.Taylor) at DET 48. T.Whitehead to DET 48 for no gain (Charlie.Johnson).

This was Ted's second pick. Thrown on a 3rd and 2. The idea was to get the ball in Patterson's hands quickly. The pass was tipped at the line, causing the interception. This is an example of Patterson's issues dealing with press coverage. It seems opposing defensive backs are wise to his struggles and are exploiting a huge weakness in his game. Ideally you want him to get clear of the cornerback by putting a move on him at the line. Patterson runs straight into Slay, and then when he can't shake loose, tries to use his body to shield Slay out of the play. He could sorely use some hand check skills at the line to deal with the press.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Hopefully some year we can find a QB who can read a defense above a grade school level. He might not stare down his receivers as bad as Ponder, but man is he slow going through them. :(
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Demi wrote:Hopefully some year we can find a QB who can read a defense above a grade school level. He might not stare down his receivers as bad as Ponder, but man is he slow going through them. :(
He's a rookie and that was his second game. Do you expect him to come in and play like an experienced veteran right from the start?
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Mothman wrote: He's a rookie and that was his second game. Do you expect him to come in and play like an experienced veteran right from the start?
There are plenty of young QBs that come into the league and don't struggle with going through their progressions like he does.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Demi wrote: There are plenty of young QBs that come into the league and don't struggle with going through their progressions like he does.
I suppose you've done the film work to make that determination?

I doubt there's been a rookie QB in the past 30 years that hasn't made similar mistakes.

A few months ago, you posted that Bridgewater was the most legit QB the Vikes have drafted since Tarkenton. Now, after two starts, he can't "read a defense above a grade school level"? If I recall correctly, all you had to say about him after the Vikes beat the Falcons in one the most productive offensive games in their history, in Bridgewater's first start, was "he's too frail". You didn't express one iota of enthusiasm over the Vikings rookie QB posting a 98.9 rating in his first start.

What changed between posting that Teddy is the most legit QB the Vikes have drafted taken since Tarkenton and his first start? You already seem to be right back in the same "rip on the QB" mode you were in with Ponder.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

I'm not saying I think he's a bust, or the future of the franchise. But at times he did seem to completely lose it during that game. Missing wide open receivers, and taking forever to go through his reads.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Demi wrote:I'm not saying I think he's a bust, or the future of the franchise. But at times he did seem to completely lose it during that game. Missing wide open receivers, and taking forever to go through his reads.
That's not exactly uncommon when QBs are put under a lot of pressure by opposing defenses, especially rookie QBs...

I'm still wondering: what happened to your enthusiasm for him?