Film observations of Vikings: Week 6 vs. Lions

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Film observations of Vikings: Week 6 vs. Lions

Post by dead_poet »

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Film observations of Vikings: Week 6 vs. Lions

Post by 808vikingsfan »

With how bad the offense has been, it is a nice surprise to see the defense playing this good. Just hope the offense can start relieving some pressure off the defense soon or this season may have an ugly ending.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Short one from Goessling:

The Film Don't Lie: Vikings

The Vikings went just 3-for-14 on third downs and needed to cover at least 6 yards on 10 of those plays. According to ESPN Stats & Information, 10 teams had at least 10 third-down attempts of 6 yards or more Sunday; only three won their game.
One thing I noticed, the 4 sacks that the Vikings gave up in the first half, all happened on 3rd and long. Maybe they could max protect on 3rd down or just be more effective on 1st and 2nd down.
Leafman
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Leafman »

808vikingsfan wrote:Short one from Goessling:

The Film Don't Lie: Vikings

One thing I noticed, the 4 sacks that the Vikings gave up in the first half, all happened on 3rd and long. Maybe they could max protect on 3rd down or just be more effective on 1st and 2nd down.
I remember the Darrell Bevell glory days when we could always count on a delayed hand-off on 3rd-and-long to get 4 or 5 yards for better field position from which to punt. :)

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Leafman wrote: I remember the Darrell Bevell glory days when we could always count on a delayed hand-off on 3rd-and-long to get 4 or 5 yards for better field position from which to punt. :)

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN
At least it would've cut the number of sacks allowed by the Vikings from 8 to 3 or 4! :)
9man
Transition Player

Post by 9man »

Vikings limited Stafford to 1 for 8 for 15 yards on passes deeper than 9 yards.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

9man wrote:Vikings limited Stafford to 1 for 8 for 15 yards on passes deeper than 9 yards.
Yeah but there is no talent on this roster right?? :roll: So how in the world could that happen?
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Yeah but there is no talent on this roster right?? :roll: So how in the world could that happen?
They were missing their two best offensive players...could have an impact? Missing the best receiver in the league? Maybe top 3 all time? Possibly affected it? Just a little?

Or not. :burp: :beerchug: :govikes: :ripple: :cheer:
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

I do not think you can underestimate the effect of the Lions not having Calvin Johnson and Reggie Bush. The Vikings defense allowed a backup and third string RB to run over them. That is cause for some real concern, IMO. The pass defense has stiffened up this season, but there is not consistent pressure from the front four. Are these guys still struggling with maintaining gap discipline?
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Leafman wrote: I remember the Darrell Bevell glory days when we could always count on a delayed hand-off on 3rd-and-long to get 4 or 5 yards for better field position from which to punt. :)

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN
speaking of punting, we need to release locke and sign another punter. He was as bad as anyone on the offensive line.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:speaking of punting, we need to release locke and sign another punter. He was as bad as anyone on the offensive line.
He needs to be more consistent but statistically, he's ranked right in the middle of the league in net average (#15 with a net avg. of 39.3) and a little lower in gross average per punt (#19 at 44.4). I don't see him as a liability, just a player who needs to raise his game.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Demi wrote: They were missing their two best offensive players...could have an impact? Missing the best receiver in the league? Maybe top 3 all time? Possibly affected it? Just a little?

Or not. :burp: :beerchug: :govikes: :ripple: :cheer:
Oh so it effects the Lions but not having AP, Fusco, Rudolph and started a 21 year old kid at QB has no effect on us right? Our offense is just talentless right? I think that's a wayyyy bigger loss for us than it is for Detroit. Give me a break :roll:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Oh so it effects the Lions but not having AP, Fusco, Rudolph and started a 21 year old kid at QB has no effect on us right? Our offense is just talentless right? I think that's a wayyyy bigger loss for us than it is for Detroit. Give me a break :roll:
To be fair, Demi was addressing the defense holding the Lions to 1 for 8 for 15 yds on passes deeper than 9 yds. That has nothing to do with the offense.

But, your point is valid. The offense is in disarray, and their struggles really are not that surprising considering that.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Yeah, our offense being dominated and held to three garbage time points probably does have a lot to do with the injuries.

But giving one unit credit and ignoring injuries, and then using injuries as an excuse for another seems pretty hypocritical.