This Week's Enemy Fan Forums: The Buffalo Bills

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

frosted
Career Elite Player

This Week's Enemy Fan Forums: The Buffalo Bills

Post by frosted »

I have to say, I am just so frustrated with the offensive (emphasis on OFFENSIVE) product the Vikings are trotting out there each week this season. There has been a huge outcry for changes on the offensive line, and rightfully so. They have been bad this season. The sad thing is, they are far from the only problem. Receivers are not getting open, backs are not pass blocking well at all (as good as McKinnon has run/caught the ball, his pass blocking is horrendous), and Ted is holding the ball too long in a lot of cases where the protection was actually OK, like it or not. All that is being compounded by some questionable play call. As you can see below, the offensive stats are brutal through six games and reflect all this.

Stat Box: Offense

Code: Select all

314.7 Total Yards/Game (27th in NFL)
194.8 Passing Yards/Game (30th in NFL)
119.8 Rushing Yards/Game (13th in NFL)
17.3 Points/Game (28th in NFL)
Stat Box: Defense

Code: Select all

332 Total Yards/Game (8th in NFL)
213.8 Passing Yards/Game (6th in NFL)
118.2 Rushing Yards/Game (20th in NFL)
23.8 Points/Game (20th in NFL)
Random thoughts/observations:

* If there was any bright spot on offense (however small), it was McKinnon's play with the football in his hands. Man, that kid has a knack for shaking defenders. We need to continue to get him involved. I was quite concerned with his pass blocking, though. He got lit up a few times trying to pick up blitzers.

* The defense continued the troubling trend of starting the game out really slowly, and then suffocated Detroit the rest of the way. The whole starting slowly thing needs to stop, but it was good to see them play lights out (albeit against Detroit sans two great players) after that. They're far from where we need them to be, but they are getting there, and just based on the eyeball test (and the numbers back it up), they have taken a big step forward this year.

* I thought Linval Joseph had his best game as a Viking. He commanded double teams all game and defeated them on several occasions. Really made things easier for the linebackers to flow and make plays.

* I just have to say, Detroit is legit. That front seven is dominant, and like Carolina a year ago, makes a so-so secondary that much stronger. The pressure they get on the QB is terrifying. They can go places this season, IMO.

* Xavier Rhodes and Josh Robinson continue to play really good defense. I am very excited about their progress.

* Tom Johnson was a nice free agent pick up. He's really given us a boost on the defensive line rotation.

* I probably say this every week, but Anthony Barr has just been the best surprise of this season. I liked the pick at the time, but I love it now. He's so far ahead of where I thought he would be at this point.

* Gerald Hodges is quickly becoming one of my favorite players. He's the kind of guy you're talking about when you say 'next man up', and he's really making a case for keeping the job even when Chad is healthy.

* Our receivers need to step it up. Jennings really irks me sometimes, and Spielman really dropped the ball on that signing. I wouldn't be surprised if we cut him after this season. Jarius Wright is on and off, but he really does look like our most steady option at WR.

As always, I am excited to watch my team on Sunday. Going on the road, against a tough Bills defense is a scary thought, but I think we can win this game. They shut down the run as well as or better than anyone in the NFL, evidenced by their #1 ranking in rushing yards allowed/game (as well as only 2.8 yards per carry allowed, yikes). They can be had in the passing game, ranking 26th in passing yards allowed/game, but they are second to Detroit in sacks with 19, which could pose a serious problem for the Vikings if the pass protection doesn't improve. Offensively, they are 19th in passing yards/game and 22nd in rushing yards/game. Their offense has improved slightly with veteran Kyle Orton at QB, he replaced EJ Manuel two weeks ago. They are, like the Vikings, struggling to establish their identity on offense, but have an up and coming defense. This game will be challenging.

Key Players to Contain - Bills Offense

* Sammy Watkins (WR): He is a young and dynamic WR. Inconsistent, as are many rookies, but very talented. If we don't stick him in coverage, he could hurt us.

* Fred Jackson (RB): Seemingly ageless, he's still churning out yards from scrimmage whether by air or ground. We will need to contain him, especially on screens and such.

* C.J. Spiller (RB): Under-performing this season, but he can still score from anywhere on the field.

Key Players to Neutralize - Bills Defense

* Mario Williams (DE): The former #1 overall pick, he can still get after it, with 4.5 sacks this season, but he might be even better against the run. Blocking him will be key to winning this game.

* Marcell Dareus (DT): The Alabama product can be a nightmare in the middle of the defensive line for opposing offenses. He already has 5 sacks this season. We will have our hands full with this standout.

* Aaron Williams (FS): This is my Buffalo Bills man crush, he's simply awesome. He doesn't get much credit around the league, but he is one of the best safeties going right now. He was out with an injury against New England last week, but if he plays, we have to account for him on every play. Tough against the run and equally adept against the pass.

Here are the opposing fan forums for this week:

Official Team Fan Forum

http://boards.buffalobills.com/forumdis ... Discussion

TwoBillsDrive.com

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/forum/1 ... dium-wall/

Buffalo Bills Zone

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/forumd ... Bills-Zone

Football's Future

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=9

What they're saying:
Heading into Week 7, the Bills are 3-3.

Is this a must win game?

I say it is.

Personally, I'm of the belief that if the offense lays another dud and Hackett can't get the run game going that he'll be fired.

You can't fall to 3-4 and 1-3 at home and expect to make the playoffs at the end of the year. If we lose, I think Marrone will have no choice but to fire Hackett and make wholesale changes.
The next two are must wins.
You have to beat the poor team and play evenly with teams that are on your level:

This is a team the Bills should beat.
The Vikings are a bad team.

If we can't grind out a victory, Marrone needs to start firing people.
If the Bills lose to the Vikes, I would not be averse to Pegs starting to hand out the pink slips mid-season.

This is a must-win, and fortunately is a should-win. Hard to imagine how they might lose... oh, wait...
There are lots of ways we could lose.

- Teddy Bridgewater plays like he did 3 games ago.
- The Bills can't run the ball.
- The Bills lose the turnover battle.
- Corderelle Patterson makes a game changing play on ST.

The Bills aren't that good. Our offense is horrible.

If the Bills don't force 2-3 turnovers, there's a very good chance we lose this game because our offense isn't good enough to score 20 points without help...
I think being 3 -3 is putting us in a good spot. WE dodged a bullet in Detroit and lost to NE. So those two games are a wash. Now we need to win the games cause we are a superior team. It is very clear that if we lose, we are just simply being out coached.
MN is not very good right now. No Peterson, rookie QB in his 3rd career start, at home. Can't lose this one.
The Vikings defense is a lot better than people might think, but this is a game we HAVE to win.
You can't call yourself a playoff contender and at 3-3 lose to a team like the Vikings.
I think we will all be better off to take a page out of the Hoodie's handbook and move on to Minnesota.

I was just checking out the box score from the Lions vs. Vikings game. Good lord. Lions got 8 sacks on Bridgewater and forced 3 picks. He had a 2.5 QBR. I am thinking we get our mojo back next Sunday. Each member of our starting D-line adds a sack to their season total.
If this team truly is a different team then they should manhandle the Vikings. If it's the same old **** expect Teddy Bridgewater to look like Joe Montana and whoever they have running the ball to look like Jim Brown.
No reason the Bills can't beat the next 2 teams. The Bills may be mediocre, but the Vikings and Jests are well below mediocre this season.
The Vikings and Jets have much better coaching and these teams will be much better prepared than the Bills will be. The Jets will have 10 days to prepare for their game.

We now know that these are the same ol' Bills. These same ol' Bills will fold against the Vikings because they are a mentally weak bunch who will do what they did in Tampa last year. Pull a "no show" after a really tough loss and make a rookie look like Johnny Unitas. Then they will be intimidated by the Jets and Rex Ryan because they are the same ol' Bills who get intimidated by the Jets and Rex Ryan.

This team hasn't looked good since the Dolphin game. That was a long time ago.
I don't know about you all, but nothing gets me over a crushing loss to the Patriots than beating the crap out of a really, really bad team from the NFCN!! It's called a slump buster. She doesn't have to be pretty.
Minnesota matches up defensively. Bills can't run the ball even against the bad run defenses and the Vikings are in the top tier in terms of pass defense.
Should be an easy win.

A team that can't pass the ball who relies on the run with the best RB in the NFL not playing against a team that can't defense the past but is best in the league against the run.

Minnesota shouldn't score more than 10 points.
Go Vikes!
Last edited by frosted on Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Re: This Week's Enemy Fan Forums: The Buffalo Bills

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

This week doesn't get any easier. We are on the road. We have to face Marcel Dareus, Kyle Williams, Jerry Huges, Manny Lawson, and Mario Williams. This offensive line doesn't stand a chance. Our only hope is going to be a quick, short passing game. Teddy has to play better, but ####, he also needs some help. Cordarrelle Patterson and Greg Jennings need to step up.

The good thing is we are playing against Kyle Orton. The bad thing is we are playing against C.J. Spiller, Fred Jackson, and Sammy Watkins. Those are tough match ups. We simply CANNOT allow another opening drive TD.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:This week doesn't get any easier. We are on the road. We have to face Marcel Dareus, Kyle Williams, Jerry Huges, Manny Lawson, and Mario Williams. This offensive line doesn't stand a chance. Our only hope is going to be a quick, short passing game. Teddy has to play better, but ####, he also needs some help. Cordarrelle Patterson and Greg Jennings need to step up.

The good thing is we are playing against Kyle Orton. The bad thing is we are playing against C.J. Spiller, Fred Jackson, and Sammy Watkins. Those are tough match ups. We simply CANNOT allow another opening drive TD.
This is a bad matchup for us.

First of all, that guy you call a good thing for us is throwing for 300 yards per game and has always been good when he can stand in a clean pocket -- our pass rush isn't exactly putting fear in the hearts of our opponents. Orton also threw for 308 yards on the road against the same team we just laid an egg against at home. Basically, there's no reason to pretend we have the advantage at QB because we don't. Spiller has been a non-factor, but Jackson is very good and Watkins can really play. Darrelle Revis handled him last week, so he'll be highly motivated to have a big game. Buffalo also makes good use of Scott Chandler at tight end, and we've never been good at neutralizing opposing tight ends.

As you mentioned, our task offensively doesn't get any easier. Buffalo's front 7 is really good, and we can't protect the QB for squat.

We had better figure out a way to move the ball and score, or we'll be staring 2-5 in the face. Right now, Buffalo is a better team than we are, pure and simple.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: This is a bad matchup for us.

First of all, that guy you call a good thing for us is throwing for 300 yards per game and has always been good when he can stand in a clean pocket -- our pass rush isn't exactly putting fear in the hearts of our opponents. Orton also threw for 308 yards on the road against the same team we just laid an egg against at home. Basically, there's no reason to pretend we have the advantage at QB because we don't. Spiller has been a non-factor, but Jackson is very good and Watkins can really play. Darrelle Revis handled him last week, so he'll be highly motivated to have a big game. Buffalo also makes good use of Scott Chandler at tight end, and we've never been good at neutralizing opposing tight ends.

As you mentioned, our task offensively doesn't get any easier. Buffalo's front 7 is really good, and we can't protect the QB for squat.

We had better figure out a way to move the ball and score, or we'll be staring 2-5 in the face. Right now, Buffalo is a better team than we are, pure and simple.
I'm really not particularly concerned about our defense vs. their offense. I think we can keep them under 20 points. I don't know if our offense can score more than 10 though, so I guess you could say I am extremely concerned about that side of the ball.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

I am afraid that this is the week that we get an #### whipping from a mediocre team, exposing the Vikes as the epic fail they really are in 2014.......hate to say it but I feel like a deer in the headlights. At least last week we had the excuse that we were playing a REALLY great Defensive team.......this week we are gonna get wiped by a cellar dweller.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

J. Kapp 11,

What i meant by saying Kyle Orton was a positive to play against is that we as a team historically have had good match ups against Kyle Orton. Now, that being said, those were during his Bears days. I believe that Kyle has become a much better quarterback since his Chicago days.

I kind of regret what I said about Orton. I know that you J. Kapp have a personal relationship with Kyle Orton and his family. I think Orton is a solid QB. In fact, I wanted Orton on the team a few years ago. Orton could very well shred us on Sunday. Or, we could play well against him.

That being said, this is still a tough matchup. This will not be the push over Bills. We have not won in Ralph Wilson stadium in quite awhile (the last time we were there was the 06 loss on a foggy day. That was a bad game). I just hope Teddy doesn't get killed on Sunday.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: J. Kapp 11,

What i meant by saying Kyle Orton was a positive to play against is that we as a team historically have had good match ups against Kyle Orton. Now, that being said, those were during his Bears days. I believe that Kyle has become a much better quarterback since his Chicago days.

I kind of regret what I said about Orton. I know that you J. Kapp have a personal relationship with Kyle Orton and his family. I think Orton is a solid QB. In fact, I wanted Orton on the team a few years ago. Orton could very well shred us on Sunday. Or, we could play well against him.

That being said, this is still a tough matchup. This will not be the push over Bills. We have not won in Ralph Wilson stadium in quite awhile (the last time we were there was the 06 loss on a foggy day. That was a bad game). I just hope Teddy doesn't get killed on Sunday.
Well, I actually haven't talked much with the family over the past few years, but you're right in that I know them.

Look, I know Kyle Orton is not the second coming of Joe Montana, but I also think he gets a bad rap. He's a guy who has a good arm and a very good football mind. He's solid, but not often spectacular.

I just don't like the matchup. The Bills rank 3rd in scoring defense and 8th in total yards allowed. They have 19 sacks, which spells trouble against our porous O-line. They don't score much more than we do, but they've been more consistent scoring game to game, and Orton has stabilized the QB position. And they're at home.

Think about it. They beat the Lions at Detroit, a team that humiliated us at home, and were within a touchdown of New England late, another team that humiliated us at home. They're a 4-point favorite, and with good reason. I do believe we can win this game, but not unless our offense steps up.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I wish we had Orton on our roster. Not to replace Teddy, but #7. And then another young QB that's learning the QB spot. But that doesn't work into Rick's plan (whatever that may be).

I think our secondary may surprise us, and be ready for this game. But I have little faith in the D line. I hope theres a lot of subbing. Because if the offense doesn't give them some rest, we will lose. Can someone explain to me while Charlie Johnson is still a starting guard for us? I know the rest of the line, other then Sully, isn't playing well, but they make big paycheck (thanks Rick). Johnson has just stunk up the line. Maybe sub him in for either tackle.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Can someone explain to me while Charlie Johnson is still a starting guard for us? I know the rest of the line, other then Sully, isn't playing well, but they make big paycheck (thanks Rick). Johnson has just stunk up the line. Maybe sub him in for either tackle.
Yankey obviously isn't ready to go yet and there aren't much more options so what do you expect?? Like I said, losing Fusco kills our line
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Yankey obviously isn't ready to go yet and there aren't much more options so what do you expect?? Like I said, losing Fusco kills our line
Geez a thousand negative posts about "Ricky", didn't he draft Bridgewater and that is all we read before the draft from him was draft Teddy draft Teddy, draft Teddy. He drafts Teddy, Barr, Mickinnon and still is called out :roll:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

I edited the OP with a good amount of commentary from the Bills fans. They are pretty high on their team, they are expecting a blow out win.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Yankey obviously isn't ready to go yet and there aren't much more options so what do you expect?? Like I said, losing Fusco kills our line
How many years has Johnson ben on the roster? How many good years has he had. Here's a little thing I found on another site about the guy you love defending.
"Since his first Director of Personnel job for the Bears in 1997 through being GM with the Vikings in 2013, his teams have a winning percentage of .464.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: How many years has Johnson ben on the roster? How many good years has he had. Here's a little thing I found on another site about the guy you love defending.
"Since his first Director of Personnel job for the Bears in 1997 through being GM with the Vikings in 2013, his teams have a winning percentage of .464.
Director of personnel and a GM are two different playing fields regardless. He has a lot of input but at the same time, he is not calling the shots. We all know how horrible the Bears were in the late 90's
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

frosted21 wrote:I edited the OP with a good amount of commentary from the Bills fans. They are pretty high on their team, they are expecting a blow out win.
And ... many of them seem pessimistic.

It's interesting, isn't it? Both teams have lost four Super Bowls, so you get the same mix of unbridled optimism and hopeless pessimism from each team's fans.

After almost 50 years of riding the ebbs and flows of Viking fandom, I find myself in the "hope for the best, never expect it" camp. It's the only way I can stay sane.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

I have watkins on both my fantasy teams. In one league he has 19 points, in the other he has 22. In 6 games.......