This Week's Enemy Fan Forums: The Buffalo Bills

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: This Week's Enemy Fan Forums: The Buffalo Bills

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:This is a bad matchup for us.

First of all, that guy you call a good thing for us is throwing for 300 yards per game and has always been good when he can stand in a clean pocket -- our pass rush isn't exactly putting fear in the hearts of our opponents. Orton also threw for 308 yards on the road against the same team we just laid an egg against at home. Basically, there's no reason to pretend we have the advantage at QB because we don't. Spiller has been a non-factor, but Jackson is very good and Watkins can really play. Darrelle Revis handled him last week, so he'll be highly motivated to have a big game. Buffalo also makes good use of Scott Chandler at tight end, and we've never been good at neutralizing opposing tight ends.

As you mentioned, our task offensively doesn't get any easier. Buffalo's front 7 is really good, and we can't protect the QB for squat.

We had better figure out a way to move the ball and score, or we'll be staring 2-5 in the face. Right now, Buffalo is a better team than we are, pure and simple.
I can't argue with you and I really don't like the matchup. The Vikes need to run the ball better and they're facing the league's top run defense. As you said, the Bills front 7 is good and that likely means more pressure on Bridgewater unless the OL really steps their game up. This matchup is a lot like last week's for our offense and it will be interesting to see how they handle it.

Meanwhile, I think stopping the run has been the Vikes biggest weakness on defense and even though Buffalo's not doing that tremendously well this year, I think they have the personnel to hurt us in that department if the defense doesn't play a disciplined game.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Until the offense finds itself, every game down the line will be a tough matchup for the Vikings.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

808vikingsfan wrote:Until the offense finds itself, every game down the line will be a tough matchup for the Vikings.
Good point. If they don't find themselves against Buffalo, we could see one of those "irresistible force meets immovable object" games when the Vikes play Tampa Bay. Will the Vikes offense break 50? Will the Bucs get their first shutout of the season? Stay tuned!
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

After reading their forums they believe that they are far and away better than the vikes. It would be awesome to see them lose then go back to these forums and read all about how bad they are and make them eat crow.

Go Vikings!
Orion
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Orion »

This game should be a lot closer than last sunday. If we don't win though, we're officially done
When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: I can't argue with you and I really don't like the matchup. The Vikes need to run the ball better and they're facing the league's top run defense. As you said, the Bills front 7 is good and that likely means more pressure on Bridgewater unless the OL really steps their game up. This matchup is a lot like last week's for our offense and it will be interesting to see how they handle it.

Meanwhile, I think stopping the run has been the Vikes biggest weakness on defense and even though Buffalo's not doing that tremendously well this year, I think they have the personnel to hurt us in that department if the defense doesn't play a disciplined game.
I see it similarly, and I think we should lose this game on the road, on grass, against a good defensive front. However, I'm beginning to get a little gut feeling that somehow the Vikings will carry on the pattern of causing dramatic mood swings on the board by dialing up their best performance of the year in Buffalo en route to a victory...only to collapse against Tampa Bay and send us all back to the doldrums.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:I see it similarly, and I think we should lose this game on the road, on grass, against a good defensive front. However, I'm beginning to get a little gut feeling that somehow the Vikings will carry on the pattern of causing dramatic mood swings on the board by dialing up their best performance of the year in Buffalo en route to a victory...only to collapse against Tampa Bay and send us all back to the doldrums.
LOL! That would be a very Vikings-like thing to do, wouldn't it?

Your post makes a better lead-in to this Tom Powers column than anything i could have come up with...

Tom Powers: When Vikings take on Bills, history generally follows

It's a pretty interesting read!
The Vikings and Bills have more in common than their evenly split eight Super Bowl losses. They also have burned through a combined 12 head coaches since the start of the millennium. Both currently are mired knee deep in mediocrity. And both say Sunday's game is pivotal, although that seems like an overstatement.

History tells us that when they square off, there's usually something interesting that follows.
Also; 12 head coaches since the start of the millennium?! Ouch.