Rick Spielman's Draft Record

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Rick Spielman's Draft Record

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Demi wrote: Well yeah, you named a half dozen guys as "HIT"s that if you were a Seahawks fan you would have named "MISS"s, but didn't....
Like us looking at Buffalo as a weak game on our schedule...every other team is looking at the Vikings as the weak game on their schedule....
Not at all? Most of Seattles misses are guys that are either not on the roster or inactive every week. The point of this being, at least our picks have provided depth at different positions vs. Seattles where they aren't even on the team on constantly inactive. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and said Luke Wilson and JR Sweezy were hits simply for depth purposes when really they are borderline misses. It's not like I was doing Minnesota a whole lot of favors here. I actually should have counted Rhett Ellison as a hit if I'm going to give them Luke Wilson.

No matter what way you look at it, Seattles drafts were pretty poor. Especially 2013. Mind you Spielman worked Seattles GM in the Harvin trade as well.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Not at all? Most of Seattles misses are guys that are either not on the roster or inactive every week. The point of this being, at least our picks have provided depth at different positions vs. Seattles where they aren't even on the team on constantly inactive.
Keep in mind that Seattle already has one of of the youngest rosters in the NFL and they just won the Super Bowl. That's probably a tough roster to crack. Once a team has been built and is actually of championship caliber, it really shouldn't have 7+ roster spots available to rookies every year.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Mothman wrote:
In the end, it's probably a stat you don't want to be leading, although NE is still doing pretty well...
But the Pats somehow seem to average 20 picks per draft :D so naturally they will have more misses
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingPaul73 wrote:But the Pats somehow seem to average 20 picks per draft :D so naturally they will have more misses
:lol: I know what you mean and the the Vikes have actually put themselves in a similar situation. There's been a dramatic difference in the way they've drafted since Childress was fired. In the past 4 years, the Vikings have drafted 39 players! In the previous 4, they drafted 26.

That's a pretty dramatic difference that likely reflects a shift in influence at the top. Spielman was present during those earlier years but he either had a change of philosophy (which is certainly possible) or Childress' departure allowed him to change to an approach he favored and was previously unable to take.
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

Mothman wrote: :lol: I know what you mean and the the Vikes have actually put themselves in a similar situation. There's been a dramatic difference in the way they've drafted since Childress was fired. In the past 4 years, the Vikings have drafted 39 players! In the previous 4, they drafted 26.

That's a pretty dramatic difference that likely reflects a shift in influence at the top. Spielman was present during those earlier years but he either had a change of philosophy (which is certainly possible) or Childress' departure allowed him to change to an approach he favored and was previously unable to take.

The dreaded Quandrangle of Mediocrity, or something like that...
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Mothman wrote: :lol: I know what you mean and the the Vikes have actually put themselves in a similar situation. There's been a dramatic difference in the way they've drafted since Childress was fired. In the past 4 years, the Vikings have drafted 39 players! In the previous 4, they drafted 26.

Excellent point!
39 in the last 4 drafts.....sheesh I didn't realize it was that many!!!!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Mothman wrote:
Keep in mind that Seattle already has one of of the youngest rosters in the NFL and they just won the Super Bowl. That's probably a tough roster to crack. Once a team has been built and is actually of championship caliber, it really shouldn't have 7+ roster spots available to rookies every year.
Well yes but at the same time, they have 8 4-7 round players that are not only misses but aren't even on the roster. They might have been deep to begin with but there is no way they are that deep. Bottom line is, it wasn't very good drafting to begin with in those rounds. Much worse than ours. If these guys were making it elsewhere I would understand but they aren't. So in turn, it shows me that the players weren't very good.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri