Position Changes?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

JD_Fiction
Backup

Position Changes?

Post by JD_Fiction »

I really hate to see this struggling O-Line play, it's hard to watch the team that you love struggle and implode in a season in which the future was finally looking bright. That being said i think Position changes should be made for Matt Kalil and Phil Loadholt before a total rebuild of the O-line should be discussed.

I believe that Kalil still has the chance to be great but not at left tackle, he must make the transition to left guard. He is struggling horribly against faster pass rushers but is still a physical specimen in my eyes and i think he could handle most of the bigger slower DT's in this league.. The same goes for Phil, he is a huge mauler and very solid in run blocking Controlling slower Football players can play into his strengths. You guys have to realize that this line was put together so they could pound the rock to Adrian Peterson and it really shows with him out how vulnerable the line is in the passing game.

Moving these guys to the guard positions will leave a huge void at both LT and RT but in my eyes there is already a huge void with them staying there anyway. Just throwing some positive two cents in, let me have some feedback on this thought process. Thanks Guys.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Re: Position Changes?

Post by Laserman »

I have to agree with you. We should try something before a total rebuild is warranted. The Oline should always be building . Next to Qb it's the most important part of the offense. Just about any NFL receiver can get open if the routes has time to develop, Any NFL Level RB can run through wide open holes. If you can't dominate on the Oline you have no chance at all as the last two games have revealed.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Laserman wrote: If you can't dominate on the Oline you have no chance at all as the last two games have revealed.
Not only have we not been able to dominate up front, we have been downright dominated.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Superfreak84
Veteran

Post by Superfreak84 »

Do you really think Kalil would make a good guard? He's more of a finesse blocker. I do agree Loadholt would make a good guard but he's so damn tall. After watching the Cowboys I now believe we have to just start drafting o-line from now on.
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

I don't see Kalil as a very good fit for OG. He doesn't have the girth in his lower body that you want to see in an OG in order to play with leverage. The knock on him right now is that he has a tendency to play too upright. When you're that tall and you play upright ... that's just not a good fit for OG.

Kalil has the ability to be a good LT (he proved that his rookie year). He was a stud at USC who kept Tyrone Smith at RT. Go back and look at his draft profiles ... as close to a consensus you can get about being rated as the top LT prospect in that draft.

Have to believe Kalil's problems are mostly between his ears. I think the Vikings should find a good sports psychologist to work with him.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I have never like Loadholt and our LG Johnson
sucks and is very lazy on the ends on plays ....

I agree that some of Kalil's problems might be mental .. I also think
think with an awesome LG he would be more able to get to his assignments
before he had lost the leverage he needed to lock someone
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

I think also that Johnson is soooo bad, Kalil is not comfortable with him. Kalil is not impressing either though. Still hurt?
I would leave Kalil but insert Yankey at LG.

Also, I would love to see Loadholt at RG, he's a mammoth, at RT I would play Harris!
I would like Kalil at RT and a new LT brought in next year maybe, BUT... not next year yet.

The OL has to be dealt with as priority #1 !
#2 is get CP84 involved in the offense !!!!
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

I think back to all the great Ol we had in the past......Birk, Christie, Dixon, Hutchinson, Lowdermilk, Steussie, Swilley, TInglehof, Yary, Zimmerman......and I think we need to send our OL coach on a vacation, bring in THESE guys (armed with cattle prods) and have them Coach the Crap out of the millionaire sad-sacks we currently have. These fat assed lazy fools are NOT earning their paychecks....no excuses.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

David Dixon was the most underrated player the Vikings ever had, imo. But i agree we need a different OL coach, like NOW...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
JD_Fiction
Backup

Post by JD_Fiction »

Superfreak84 wrote:Do you really think Kalil would make a good guard? He's more of a finesse blocker. I do agree Loadholt would make a good guard but he's so damn tall. After watching the Cowboys I now believe we have to just start drafting o-line from now on.

I really really think he would be a good guard, some people might think he is a finesse blocker but at 6'7 and 310 pounds putting up 30 reps on the bench press compared to Loadholt who is 6'8 340 who put up 24 reps on the bench press. I am sure he can hold his own in the strength department. :thumbsup:
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

JD_Fiction wrote:
I really really think he would be a good guard, some people might think he is a finesse blocker but at 6'7 and 310 pounds putting up 30 reps on the bench press compared to Loadholt who is 6'8 340 who put up 24 reps on the bench press. I am sure he can hold his own in the strength department. :thumbsup:
It's not just strength, it's leverage. That 6'7 frame is a liability at guard.