Accountability

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Accountability

Post by DanAS »

Because of my temporary NFL boycott (which will probably either last half or all of the regular season), I haven't seen my Purple boys yet this year. But I have been reading about them, and I have been caring about them.

It seems to me that there is a problem with either the players' (a) attitudes, (b) general talent level, or (c) both.

I'm opting for (c). And that is the case, we have a big problem in Vikings land. Someone has to be accountable. And that someone, I would think, is the GM.

I realize he's had some high profile draft picks, but I don't look at GM based solely on first round splash. I look at his body of work. And right now, he's assembled a team that is generally viewed as one of the NFL's worst. (Nothing quite like building an NFL offense without an offensive line. After all, everyone knows they're the least important unit on a football team. :wallbang:

Because I tend to believe in this coaching staff, I have no other place to point the finger but upstairs.

P.S. -- It's friggen hard not watching the NFL. At least I have allowed myself to return in time to keep my string alive of never missing a Super Bowl. I really do need to watch NFL football. It's been my drug for nearly five full decades.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Re: Accountability

Post by Laserman »

the only thing you are missing is frustration not watching the vikes. The Oline is seriously getting mauled almost passing play. Very tough to watch. Hurry back. Your views and opinions are missed.. watching the cowboys Oline control the seahawks just confirms my view that we need to rebuild this Oline .
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Overpaying average free agents. Extending average players. Things you have to do when you're incapable of finding them yourself. Wow look at his first rounds!...Really? Look at them. How are they actually doing? Forget potential. And what about the rest of his picks? Guy did a horrible job in his previous two stops, and Zygi decides he should make all the personnel decisions and run the team? That's the type of ownership that keeps Minnesota teams from anything meaningful!!!
mikeys1
Rookie

Post by mikeys1 »

5 first round draft picks in the last 2 years. Salary cap trouble on the horizon?
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

Laserman wrote:the only thing you are missing is frustration not watching the vikes. The Oline is seriously getting mauled almost passing play. Very tough to watch. Hurry back. Your views and opinions are missed.. watching the cowboys Oline control the seahawks just confirms my view that we need to rebuild this Oline .
Some comments and some questions --

Obviously, an offense begins and ends up front. Six year olds know that. I'm not dissing the importance of a QB, but without an OL, there's no such thing as a good QB. We invested a TON on Mr. Kalil. He didn't look half bad as a rookie, but then ... wow. I've seen sky divers fall slower than that guy. Is he still underperforming?

Some teams realize when they stink and go young and go with the OL. Other teams keep fooling themselves that they're "one skill position player away ..." I think having Peterson around made the Vikes more inclined to hope/think that they were in the second category. But 5-10 -1 is a long way from contention, and for every team that goes from worst to first, there are a bunch that just stay bad. It looks like we're going to just stay bad until we rebuild up front. Now, do we have the eyes in place at the GM position to find help us rebuild? That's the question I keep pondering.

(On the positive side -- we gave up 17 points to the Lions. I'm liking that a lot.)
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

mikeys1 wrote:5 first round draft picks in the last 2 years. Salary cap trouble on the horizon?
That's brutal. Then you're talking Oakland Raiders territory -- sucking and with no money to fix your problems. Somehow, I don't think things will get that bleak. But we do need to hit big on some low-round picks. Just look at the defending NFL champions and how they put that team together.
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

Demi wrote:Overpaying average free agents. Extending average players. Things you have to do when you're incapable of finding them yourself. Wow look at his first rounds!...Really? Look at them. How are they actually doing? Forget potential. And what about the rest of his picks? Guy did a horrible job in his previous two stops, and Zygi decides he should make all the personnel decisions and run the team? That's the type of ownership that keeps Minnesota teams from anything meaningful!!!
Hey, my deceased dog Kirby Puckett Spiro resents that comment!

We'll always have 1987 and 1991.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

(On the positive side -- we gave up 17 points to the Lions. I'm liking that a lot.)
A Lions team missing Calvin Johnson and Reggie Bush. It's two best offensive players. :wink:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

DanAS wrote:Because of my temporary NFL boycott (which will probably either last half or all of the regular season), I haven't seen my Purple boys yet this year. But I have been reading about them, and I have been caring about them.

It seems to me that there is a problem with either the players' (a) attitudes, (b) general talent level, or (c) both.

I'm opting for (c). And that is the case, we have a big problem in Vikings land. Someone has to be accountable. And that someone, I would think, is the GM.

I realize he's had some high profile draft picks, but I don't look at GM based solely on first round splash. I look at his body of work. And right now, he's assembled a team that is generally viewed as one of the NFL's worst. (Nothing quite like building an NFL offense without an offensive line. After all, everyone knows they're the least important unit on a football team. :wallbang:

Because I tend to believe in this coaching staff, I have no other place to point the finger but upstairs.
If you're looking for an individual to blame for the team's various problems, I understand the impulse but what are you referring to when you talk about accountability? If you're talking about assigning responsibility or asking decision-makers to justify their decisions, that's one thing but these days, I find that accountability is often used as if it's a synonym for "fired" and I think it's premature to call for Spielman to be fired.

I should add that I'm not sold on him as the team's GM either.

I think there may be character/leadership issues on the team and I definitely think there are issues with the team's talent level. That's been true for several years now.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Geez. Us fans suffering from yet another humiliating game and then have to put up with :wink: :rofl: :steamed: I know but it is hard not to fall for it. :roll:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

On the positive side...we have had a lot of injuries? :confused:
(Having an impact on the lack of success I mean....not that people are hurt. Better be clear here)
So foe people. Don't bait them and then cry to mommy when they react to your trolling. Nice contribution to the thread too. No baiting there.
DanAS
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by DanAS »

Mothman wrote:
If you're looking for an individual to blame for the team's various problems, I understand the impulse but what are you referring to when you talk about accountability? If you're talking about assigning responsibility or asking decision-makers to justify their decisions, that's one thing but these days, I find that accountability is often used as if it's a synonym for "fired" and I think it's premature to call for Spielman to be fired.

I should add that I'm not sold on him as the team's GM either.

I think there may be character/leadership issues on the team and I definitely think there are issues with the team's talent level. That's been true for several years now.
I'm not big on firing people in the middle of a season, so I wasn't suggesting that. But yes, I'm wondering aloud if he's the guy we want running the show for future seasons.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

DanAS wrote:I'm not big on firing people in the middle of a season, so I wasn't suggesting that. But yes, I'm wondering aloud if he's the guy we want running the show for future seasons.
I'm wondering it too but since we're only 6 games into a new season with a new coaching staff (the first Spielman has hired for the Vikes) and the team has had undeniable run of misfortune lately, I think we need to be patient and see where things go from here.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Mothman wrote: I'm wondering it too but since we're only 6 games into a new season with a new coaching staff (the first Spielman has hired for the Vikes) and the team has had undeniable run of misfortune lately, I think we need to be patient and see where things go from here.

I would love to see Zim succeed but there are early indications that have me somewhat worried. I can't imagine this team not being pumped for the Lions more than they seemed to be. They had 10 days to prepare and the offense, at least, was really bad (except I love Mckinnon's heart and effort). That being said it is way to early to make any rash judgements and I feel like the D played an outstanding game considering how many minutes that they spent on the field.
I think PHP made a very good and insightful post and I could not agree more with it. I still have hopes for this team turning things around.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

mikeys1 wrote:5 first round draft picks in the last 2 years. Salary cap trouble on the horizon?
AP salary will likely come off the books next year, $15 million right there.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk