14 sacks given up and 13 points scored last 2 games

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: 14 sacks given up and 13 points scored last 2 games

Post by dead_poet »

Relevant read.

Vikings' Offensive Line Not Doing Any Favors for Bridgewater, McKinnon

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2232 ... r-mckinnon
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Very interesting and insightful read. Some good tape breakdown, and even some evidence that the receivers ARE getting open.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Six games into this season, and we're ranked 28th in points, and 27th in yards.
That's the worst combined rating in the history of the franchise. :flamed:

Let's hope they get it figured out, this is painful to watch!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Demi wrote:Six games into this season, and we're ranked 28th in points, and 27th in yards.
That's the worst combined rating in the history of the franchise. :flamed:
... and that includes a 41 point, 558 yard performance against the Falcons, which was one of the best offensive performances in the team's history. :(
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

It defies belief. How can it be this bad? Yet, it is.

I realize the new offense is complicated. But can the blocking assignments be so complex that the entire OL can't figure them out?

Or are the OL players truly that bad?
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

losperros wrote:It defies belief. How can it be this bad? Yet, it is.

I realize the new offense is complicated. But can the blocking assignments be so complex that the entire OL can't figure them out?

Or are the OL players truly that bad?
Watching the coaches film, it's apparent that the offensive line is in position to do their job, but they are losing their individual battles. I know Loadholt gets credit for his run blocking, but even there, he is struggling mighty. You see so many whiffs in run blocking, and just plain failure in pass blocking. And that goes for all five of them, Sullivan included. Some are worse than others, but they all have a hand in it right now.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

frosted21 wrote: Watching the coaches film, it's apparent that the offensive line is in position to do their job, but they are losing their individual battles. I know Loadholt gets credit for his run blocking, but even there, he is struggling mighty. You see so many whiffs in run blocking, and just plain failure in pass blocking. And that goes for all five of them, Sullivan included. Some are worse than others, but they all have a hand in it right now.
I agree…Its just a matter of getting physically whipped.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:I agree…Its just a matter of getting physically whipped.
... the easiest thing to correct. :(

I wonder how much of it (if anything) is a question of technique.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Mothman wrote: ... the easiest thing to correct. :(

Not sure I agree with you here Jim. If your opponent is just physically overpowering you, how is that easy to correct?
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I remember discussing the transition to Norv's offense with you sometime earlier this year, and you voiced concern about the line's ability to adapt. I think that's part of the issue, because I don't think our line is physical enough to win one on one at the line of scrimmage and that makes a power running scheme difficult to implement.

Short term we can look at the situation and say "Norv needs to adapt his system to give us the best chance to win the game" but in the long term I'm not sure how much it will help. Ultimately we need an upgrade of physicality along the line.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:I remember discussing the transition to Norv's offense with you sometime earlier this year, and you voiced concern about the line's ability to adapt. I think that's part of the issue, because I don't think our line is physical enough to win one on one at the line of scrimmage and that makes a power running scheme difficult to implement.
That makes sense, especially because Fusco was probably the most physical player on that line. Hopefully, if they're having trouble adapting to the scheme, we'll at least see some improvement as they get more accustomed to it.
Short term we can look at the situation and say "Norv needs to adapt his system to give us the best chance to win the game" but in the long term I'm not sure how much it will help. Ultimately we need an upgrade of physicality along the line.
It's time get those scouts looking for some o-lineman with a mean streak.:)
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

So far, Norv is not making the adjustments. Not even close. So, is he incompetent (which is really hard to tell for the Vikings after only 6 games, but Norv has been in the business for years and years) or stubborn. Teams deal with injuries all the time. Its time one of our coaches did something. Davidson, Norv, someone. I think Zimmer is doing ok as a HC and the D is better then last year. But last year really wasn't that good.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Purple Reign wrote:Not sure I agree with you here Jim. If your opponent is just physically overpowering you, how is that easy to correct?
It's not. I was being sarcastic.

Sorry, it doesn't always come across clearly online....
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

IMO, technique in executing their blocks has played a significant role.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

frosted21 wrote: IMO, technique in executing their blocks has played a significant role.
Thanks, I don't know enough about o-line blocking techniques to make much of an assessment in that area, although it looks to my untrained eye like Kalil and Loadholt both have some footwork problems.

A lot of times, the Vikes line just doesn't look tenacious enough to me. At this point, I wonder how much of a role confidence is beginning to play in their performance. Apparently, they've been avoiding the media, which doesn't seem like a great sign to me but if it somehow helps them re-focus and play better, I'm all for it.

I'm still think that challenging them to be physical and get the running game going might help them. I've heard that Zimmer wants Asiata to get more involved than he was in a reduced role last week and I can't help wondering if that's at least in part because he's such a physical runner.

I'm cringing a bit thinking about what the line play will look like on Sunday. Even last preseason, when the Vikes played the Bills, their starting OL was dominated. :(