Time to see what Zimmer is made of

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Time to see what Zimmer is made of

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Well, this is two putrid performances by his football team in a row, against divisional opponents no less. This will show what he is made of as a coach. Can he get his team to play football now, or will it be a lost season?

This is as bad of a two week period as I ever remember for the Vikings.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Re: Time to see what Zimmer is made of

Post by DK Sweets »

EVER?
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

Zimmer said in his presser that he had to fine several players this week for being late to meetings/practice. Not a good sign (obviously). Thought Zimmer had the the rep of being a disciplinarian and someone who commanded respect. When multiple players are showing up late you have to wonder what's going on.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Pseudo Everything wrote:Zimmer said in his presser that he had to fine several players this week for being late to meetings/practice. Not a good sign (obviously). Thought Zimmer had the the rep of being a disciplinarian and someone who commanded respect. When multiple players are showing up late you have to wonder what's going on.
Really? Yikes, thats no good.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pseudo Everything wrote:Zimmer said in his presser that he had to fine several players this week for being late to meetings/practice. Not a good sign (obviously). Thought Zimmer had the the rep of being a disciplinarian and someone who commanded respect. When multiple players are showing up late you have to wonder what's going on.
Well, fining players IS the reaction of a disciplinarian but unfortunately, just because he's a disciplinarian, that doesn't mean everyone will automatically get in line and do as they're told.

That said, you do have to wonder what's going on.

As I said last week, I think there may be some character issues with this team. If so, I'm betting Zimmer will identify those players and they won't be Vikings next year.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

There seems to have been no single player who has stepped up and taken a leadership role, much like Jared Allen (I firmly believe he was the glue in the locker room for a long time) did. Guys like that can mean as much to a team as the guys who dominate physically on the field. This team lacks veteran leadership and obviously has a big lack of chemistry, IMO.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

BGM wrote:There seems to have been no single player who has stepped up and taken a leadership role, much like Jared Allen (I firmly believe he was the glue in the locker room for a long time) did. Guys like that can mean as much to a team as the guys who dominate physically on the field. This team lacks veteran leadership and obviously has a big lack of chemistry, IMO.
i agree 100%. I think Kevin Williams provided leadership in that locker room too and regardless of how any of us feel about Peterson now, it's clear that they sorely miss him on offense. He commanded a LOT of attention from opposing defenses and at this point, teams can pretty much play the Vikes offense "straight up". There's no single player they have to make the focal point of their defensive game plan.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Mothman wrote: i agree 100%. I think Kevin Williams provided leadership in that locker room too and regardless of how any of us feel about Peterson now, it's clear that they sorely miss him on offense. He commanded a LOT of attention from opposing defenses and at this point, teams can pretty much play the Vikes offense "straight up". There's no single player they have to make the focal point of their defensive game plan.
I'm getting sick of Patterson too. Guy doesn't put forth any effort unless the ball is in his hands at the snap. There was a replay where he just lollygagged out on his route and then stopped, while Bridgewater was running for his life. People thought Moss was bad, I Didn't see any difference in what Patterson is/was doing. Like Zimmer said, if Patterson wants the ball GET OPEN. Use your speed and your abilities to be a football player, not just a roster spot.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Zimmer will have the D ready, as they have been, for the most part.

I think I know what Norv is made of, and its not good. He's not some rookie OC. But he sure looks like one. And Rickie leaving no talent on the O, there's no where for Teddy to put the ball. In the 1/2 of a second he has back there.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

The fact that players were late is discouraging. I also agree that Patterson is being lazy in his routes...get open, son. Don't stop if they cover your initial route.

I think we DO have a leadership problem, but I'm not sure how we solve it without dipping into free agency. Our veterans on this team right now are Cassel, Peterson, Jennings, Sullivan, Robison, and Greenway.

Cassel - out for this season, will be a backup at best from now on.

Peterson - out for this season, might never be back

Jennings - overpriced and will probably be cut this offseason in favor of Jarius Wright

Sullivan - thank God, one rock we have on this team

Robison - will probably never be a difference maker. Will stay on the team due to his contract and a lack of other veteran options on the roster

Greenway - solid leader, but will probably be cut in favor of Gerald Hodges

So basically, we're going to have a lot of cap space next offseason when/if we dump Jennings, Peterson, and Greenway's salaries. We're going to have a hard time finding the right players to bring in, though. The most likely way this plays out is we deal with a lot of growing pains and the adversity will bring out the leadership skills in the young guys already on the roster.

The defense is already looking fine, and probably won't need much help (I've said before, I think Harrison Smith already is becoming a stabilizing force in every facet). What we need desperately is to find some sort of punch on offense.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

The scary thing though is, Rickie will be the one hiring/drafting the new guys. And we will get more of the same.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:And Rickie leaving no talent on the O
:roll: THAT TALENT IS HURT/SUSPENDED and we have a rookie QB in his 2nd career game. Holy geez......what do you expect??? We lost our best overall player, our best overall lineman and one of our top receiving options. To add onto that we have a 21 year old kid making his 2nd career start at QB. You act like Spielman knew Peterson would be gone, Fusco and Rudolph would be hurt and our QB options would be limited and he just did nothing about it.

I would honestly LOVE to see what you would have done this offseason. Take a LG at #9??? Ok than how would you assess SLB?? Would you draft a WR at 32?? Ok then how did you plan on assessing QB?? What about a safety in the 3rd round??? Ok so you would have gone into this year with backups of Asiata and Banyard???

I mean come on.....everyone gives Zimmer all this credit for working wonders for the defense which he has. I think he has done a great job but someone tell me another reason why this defense is so much better??? Yes Zimmer is part of the reason but why else??? Would it be because of the players Spielman has put on that defense perhaps???

The depth he provided by drafting Gerald Hodges who has played great and will probably be Greenway's successor. What about the move that SPIELMAN made to move up and draft possibly one of the best safeties in the game in Smith. The signing of Joseph who has been solid in the middle. The draft pick of Floyd who I thought has played better this year. The draft pick of Xavier Rhodes who has came into his own. Josh Robinson who is looking better. 2 mid-round DE's that have brought play and leadership. Anthony Barr who has been an absolute beast. A late round sleeper in Shamar Stephen.

Did Zimmer somehow create this talent over night??? I can bet money if you took out Harrison Smith, Anthony Barr, Linval Joseph, and Everson Griffen.....our defense would probably suck too.

Thats why I'm saying that this offense has taken a HUGE hit losing the guys they have lost. Not many, if any at all could overcome that kind of hit to an offense. And no I'm not looking to make excuses for the Vikings nor Spielman but bottom line is....its the reality of it. We were that unlucky team that got nailed with injuries and suspensions and the worst part about it is that it all happened on the offensive side of the ball

How bad would the Eagles offense be if they lost Nick Foles, LeSean McCoy, Zack Ertz, and Jason Peters???
" " Broncos offense if they lost Peyton Manning, Montee Ball, Julius Thomas and Ryan Clady??
" " Seahawks offense if they lost Russell Wilson, Marshawn Lynch, Zach Miller and Russell Okung??
Even a lesser team like the Chiefs if they lost Alex Smith, Jamaal Charles, Travis Kelce, and Eric Fisher??

.....do you get the point now??? They would all suck no matter what you say. And it has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with any of their GM's. It's the reality of it and plain old bad luck. No matter what the talent level is, its next to impossible to overcome to the point where you can still CONSISTENTLY win games. Period
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
oldskoolvikingfan
Starter

Post by oldskoolvikingfan »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Well, this is two putrid performances by his football team in a row, against divisional opponents no less. This will show what he is made of as a coach. Can he get his team to play football now, or will it be a lost season?

This is as bad of a two week period as I ever remember for the Vikings.
I hate to say it but I think the season is lost. The whole Peterson thing affected this team pretty badly, especially the oline. I mean at least the oline was motivated to block for him. Also the receivers have been pretty bad. At the beginning of the season everyone thought that we would have a pretty good receiving core with Jennings, Patterson and Rudolph but they haven't shown up and have dropped multiple passes. I think Jennings will be gone next year and Wright will step up but we still need better wrs.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

either way there is obviously something wrong. the thing is with a disciplinarian style is: you have to have everyone on board, or it simply results in a mutiny. there is the old quote, when an intimidator fails to intimidate, he becomes the intimidated. maybe that is what is possibly going on behind doors, who knows for certain? all i know is that against a division opponent, at home and 3 points is all they could muster? that is simply atrocious. we are surely having offensive woes; but that bad? we are only one more ankle roll away from being shut out on a weekly basis. if the line is that bad its simply a matter of time before another ankle injury. patterson looked 10 times better at the end of last year then he does now. its almost like he doesn't even know what he is doing.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

I remember (and subscribe to) the following theory about leadership:

"I can tell you what to do, but I can't make you do it. I can only make you sorry you didn't."

Ultimately, that is a true statement. All motivation is "self-motivation" and leaders have always tried with varying levels of success to be effective at getting their team to be 'self-motivated.' It's Zimmer's first year as the leader of a team that has been decimated by various circumstances. I really wasn't expecting a playoff run (even before the injuries). If we are having these motivational issues in a year or two, when Zimmer has more of his "stamp" on the team, then I'll start to be concerned about the coach. Right now, he's the part of the team I'm the least concerned about.
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!