Zimmer issues high praise for top pick Anthony Barr

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

frosted
Career Elite Player

Zimmer issues high praise for top pick Anthony Barr

Post by frosted »

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Zimm ... Barr100814
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. - Mike Zimmer isn't easily impressed. He's not always quick to dole out praise for a player. It seems sometimes he'd rather point out instead the one or two small things he had done wrong.

But Zimmer had some high praise for rookie linebacker Anthony Barr before Wednesday's practice.

"He's doing well. He's progressing I think as we expected him to," Zimmer said. "He's a good kid. He's still learning so much about the position he's playing right now. I like him because he's not only a good athlete -- he's physical, he's fast, he's powerful -- but he's very conscientious and wants to be very good at his job. I think he'll continue to progress more and more the more comfortable he feels in the system and we'll continue to find more things for him to do.

"I think that at some point in time I expect him to be one of the better, better linebackers in this league. I don't know when that will be but I expect it to be sometime," Zimmer said.
I am so glad he is working out.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Re: Zimmer issues high praise for top pick Anthony Barr

Post by DK Sweets »

I have faith in this guy - I remember in the preseason when everybody was worried about him. He's been a really nice pick for us so far.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

two more years of draft picks like this guy and we will arrive
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Rookie Anthony Barr Emerging as a Defensive Force for the Minnesota Vikings

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2238 ... ta-vikings
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

I'd say Rick Spielman did well on this pick. Actually, I really like the last two draft a lot.

Anyway, Barr is yet another reason why I'm excited about the future of the Zimmer/Viking defense.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Man did he look good last game. In every aspect. Was worried about his coverage skills. But he looks way further along than I thought he'd be.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Demi wrote:Man did he look good last game. In every aspect. Was worried about his coverage skills. But he looks way further along than I thought he'd be.
He's awesome. I usually am paying closer attention to line play, but its really fun to re-watch the game and just keep a close eye on Barr! He's getting better at reading his keys and man can he cover ground quickly once he does! He's going to be incredible.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Barr looks all pro potential without a doubt ...

needs to watch some of penalty causing behavior.. but if he becomes
a star the league will not call most of it anyways
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

jackal wrote:Barr looks all pro potential without a doubt ...

needs to watch some of penalty causing behavior.. but if he becomes
a star the league will not call most of it anyways
I'll never fault a player for working hard to make or get in on a tackle, even if they get the flag. the Barr play was clean, the league is jump weak.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Demi wrote:Man did he look good last game. In every aspect. Was worried about his coverage skills. But he looks way further along than I thought he'd be.

I'm buying a lotto ticket......
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Barr may be a pick that really surprises me. I bet of all our LB's, he has the least experience, coming into the NFL. Yet, he is the best cover guy we have. Which really isn't saying a lot I guess. Watching Greenway fumble around, trying to cover a TE, in literally the last seconds of the game, shows how far he has declined. I am hoping the new bunch of LBs are better in coverage then our current ones. Leber was the last LB we had that could sometimes cover a LB.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Barr may be a pick that really surprises me. I bet of all our LB's, he has the least experience, coming into the NFL. Yet, he is the best cover guy we have. Which really isn't saying a lot I guess. Watching Greenway fumble around, trying to cover a TE, in literally the last seconds of the game, shows how far he has declined. I am hoping the new bunch of LBs are better in coverage then our current ones. Leber was the last LB we had that could sometimes cover a LB.
Barr has done well in coverage and just as an overall LB. Hodges has looked good in coverage as well. Barr and Hodges could be a great combo for years to come. Add a guy like Denzel Perryman is this years draft and that LB corps would be downright scary!!!

As for Greenway, he does struggle at times in coverage but one thing I always noticed about him is that his instincts more often put him in the right spot at the right time. He has an unbelievable nose for the ball and was all over the field vs Buff.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

Barr is the only Vike to really cheer me up this year!!
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

Lol even Demi likes him!
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Barr has done well in coverage and just as an overall LB. Hodges has looked good in coverage as well. Barr and Hodges could be a great combo for years to come. Add a guy like Denzel Perryman is this years draft and that LB corps would be downright scary!!!

As for Greenway, he does struggle at times in coverage but one thing I always noticed about him is that his instincts more often put him in the right spot at the right time. He has an unbelievable nose for the ball and was all over the field vs Buff.
I agree about Greenway, but he is a bit of a liability now. With our young LBs looking decent in coverage, I think Greenway needs less snaps, and the young guys more. Hodges and Barr should be on the field , Jasper and Greenway just subbing or to give someone a breather.