The State of the Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: The State of the Vikings

Post by PurpleMustReign »

How many years are on Zimmer's contract?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

808vikingsfan wrote:Didn't know where to put this and didn't want to start a new thread.

Found at another site.

Interesting stat that someone there posted:
Andy Dalton is not a 14 year veteran..

The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

PurpleMustReign wrote:How many years are on Zimmer's contract?

As far as I know it hasn't been made public. The assumption is 3 years because that's what Turner got.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I don't see how making a new HC's contract longer then 3 years would help. A coach should have a decent 3 year plan. If things go smooth, renew his contract after 2 years. If it takes until his 3rd year, and the FO is afraid some other team will snag him, offer him a new contract. Money doesn't matter to the Wilf's. Now Teddy, if he plays well next year, I would give him a monster contract. Let everyone know he is the man, and the leader of the offense.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Andy Dalton is not a 14 year veteran..

Are you sure? :D
Sorry, my mistake. He sure seems like he's an old QB.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Two rookies of the year, would have probably had a third last year if it wasn't for Frazier. And would have had two in the frontrunners this year if it wasn't for Barr getting hurt, Teddy can possibly win it and is the favorite among many analysts, going up against Beckham Jr. And he traded up to get Smith, who's jersey I have and is an absolute monster. I think he's doing ok for himself
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Boon wrote:Two rookies of the year, would have probably had a third last year if it wasn't for Frazier. And would have had two in the frontrunners this year if it wasn't for Barr getting hurt, Teddy can possibly win it and is the favorite among many analysts, going up against Beckham Jr. And he traded up to get Smith, who's jersey I have and is an absolute monster. I think he's doing ok for himself
Who would the third have been?

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote: Who would the third have been?

He's talking about Patterson.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Mothman wrote:
He's talking about Patterson.
Oh. Who were the other two?

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Oh. Who were the other two?
Adrian Peterson and Percy Harvin both won ROTY.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

The Breeze wrote:I think the point Jim makes about changing the culture is spot on. I believe there is way too much emphasis in general on guys potentials and their athletic abilities vs guys who just put their helmets on and find a way to get it done without excuses.

It helps immensely to have an HC QB combo where it's understood what is expected and what the philosophy is. It makes all the other skill positions easier to maintain.

Here is an amazing set of numbers(to me any way)

The all-time wins leader for a Patriot coach is BB at 175, no surprise.
The all-time leading passer for them is Brady with over 53,000yds, again no surprise.
The all-time leading WR? Stanley Morgan with 10,352yds.
All-time leading rusher? Sam Cunningham with a mere 5,453yds(that's like 4 seasons of AD)....the same Sam Cunningham who's last legitimate season was 89 carries in 1981, no connection to Brady and Bill.

Stanley Morgan never caught a pass from Brady.

Randy Moss set a TD record with Brady and they had an undefeated season. BB got rid of him while he still had value.
Chad Johnson had troubling grasping the offense...they got rid of him ASAP.

Parcells was a master of this. Pete Carroll gets it.

There is a certain type and attitude of player that fits in there...or they are gone. It all stems from the HC having a clear understanding of what it is he's trying to manifest and adapting as the situations evolve rather than implement some system he's learned and is chained to.

While what goes on in NE may be a bit of an anomaly as far as success is determined, the cultural consistency is not. The Ravens have it...the Steelers....Seahawks....Broncos etc. It waxes and wanes in other places but the consistency comes from the top down and is often exemplified in the mannerisms of the teams defenses and line play. Once they get that Golden QB they take off.

I like that Zimmer has logged so much time in the AFC North. Outside of Cleveland all those teams up there seem to have established the 'consistency culture'.

As for the what it is about players who can't finish games....I think it's just motivation. There's plenty of talent just not enough "want to". When there are guys starting who lack the basic fundamental understanding of the position they are playing it doesn't really establish a tone of "hey it's a real privilege and something to take pride in being part of this team".
Players need to play like their jobs are on the line and knowing they can be replaced anytime.

rant over
Solid post, Breeze. The culture of consistency as you coined it is helped immensely by a leader that has a clear vision and is willing to do anything to fulfill it.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

You cant deny the value and effectiveness of a clubs "culture". Its not just football. The Cardinals in St Louis, The Yankee Way, Atlanta, etc where there is a deep commitment to excellence from the GM down to the Ball Boy. These are clubs where the culture seeps down to the AAA teams. The opposite can be seen in perennial failures like Oakland Raiders where no one gives it 110% effort. The Vikes havent had a coach who demanded insane commitment since forever. Bud Grant maybe? I dont like Bellicheck as a person but I love his attitude and his standards. You cannot over estimate the value of commitment and high standards, even if its considered out-dated. Catering to divas and looking the other way when you have the Love Boat type fiascos destroys a team in football.