No More Ponder!!!!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: No More Ponder!!!!

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Purple Reign wrote:You can't compare those 2 plays. Ponder was under center and turned his back to the line to first fake a hand off before turning to look down field for a receiver where Rodgers was in the shotgun and could immediately see the pressure coming up the middle at the snap.
No. The GB play was PA. This was the 65yd TD pass to Jordy.
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

808vikingsfan wrote:Ponder didn't do what Rodgers did. Ponder scrambled in the same direction as the defenders momentum (where Loadholt was blocking his man).Rodgers moved in the opposite direction away from the defender and used his blocker.
I didn't mean they moved identically. The point is that you're taking Ponder to task for not evading pressure and extending the play when, in fact, he evaded pressure and extended the play.

Plus, we've already covered the fact that Ponder couldn't scramble to his right because there was an incoming defender in that space. All you have to do is look at the screencaps I posted and that is clearly evident.
I was trying to show how poor Ponder's decisions are when he is under pressure, which obviously I'm doing a very poor job at with this example
I think that's because it's a poor example. That's why I suggested finding a different play to illustrate your point.
I still think a capable QB in the same situation would've been able to salvage that play.
Once the penalty was committed and called, it was unsalvageable. Even if Ponder had thrown a TD, it would have simply been called back.
Oh well, hopefully, this will be the last Ponder thread ever.
You're such a dreamer. ;) It would be nice though...
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

808vikingsfan wrote: Result? Rodgers moves away from the defenders momentum (left), and extends the play.
Totally different scenario though because Rodgers doesn't have to deal with someone collapsing from the edge. He has the flexibility to deal with only the single guy coming right at him, where in Ponder's case he has a guy coming right at him *and* a guy closing in hard from his right. If he attempts to move in a way that lets Loadholt naturally shield off the DE coming up the middle, he moves in the direction of Matthews.

The only other possible criticism I could have of Ponder on this play is that he could have gotten the ball out had he held his ground for a split second longer. At the moment he starts to move to his right, the TE (#85) is open. Of course, attempting to hit him at that moment would mean Ponder would probably take a solid shot from either Matthews or the DE (or both), but the throw is there.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingLord wrote: Totally different scenario though because Rodgers doesn't have to deal with someone collapsing from the edge. He has the flexibility to deal with only the single guy coming right at him, where in Ponder's case he has a guy coming right at him *and* a guy closing in hard from his right. If he attempts to move in a way that lets Loadholt naturally shield off the DE coming up the middle, he moves in the direction of Matthews.

The only other possible criticism I could have of Ponder on this play is that he could have gotten the ball out had he held his ground for a split second longer. At the moment he starts to move to his right, the TE (#85) is open. Of course, attempting to hit him at that moment would mean Ponder would probably take a solid shot from either Matthews or the DE (or both), but the throw is there.
I can see why you'd think that but these screencaps can be a little deceptive when it comes to identifying open receivers and windows of opportunity.

The TE is never really open on that play at a point when Ponder could realistically have completed a pass to him. At the time he releases from the LB and appears to come open, Ponder is already being forced to move left. He never has a chance to set and make that throw. After he starts scrambling, the safety rapidly closes on the TE. In the end zone view of the play, that TE appears to be the receiver Ponder is looking toward as he scrambles but there's never really a good opportunity to complete that pass.

I think Ponder simply did the right thing on this play: kept it alive, kept his eyes downfield and threw it a way rather than risk turning it over with a forced throw into coverage. I actually wish his decision-making was always that good. :)
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Every time I read this topic, I pray there's a post saying #7 was let go. Just cut, dropped off this team. To me, its as important to get of him now as it is to get rid of AD.
That is a weird order of priorities...
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

DKSweets wrote:That is a weird order of priorities...
Not really. For the team both need to go. So we can move on. I'm quite certain #7 doesn't go around beating up on 4 year old kids.
purplehaze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by purplehaze »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Every time I read this topic, I pray there's a post saying #7 was let go. Just cut, dropped off this team. To me, its as important to get of him now as it is to get rid of AD.
I would definitely agree with that statement.
“He's like a piece of gristle. He's got a great squirt in the hole"-- Brad Childress.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

808vikingsfan wrote: No. The GB play was PA. This was the 65yd TD pass to Jordy.
You are correct, it was play action but I still contend they are much different plays that you can't compare. Ponder took a 6-7 yard drop and had pressure from the right from Matthews. Rodgers took an 11 yard drop and just had pressure from one place coming up the middle so he had more options and more time as 4-5 more yards makes a huge difference.