Beware of Trolls

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Beware of Trolls

Post by chicagopurple »

Does anyone think it would be a good idea to increase the screening somehow for new folks who want to post here? During the whole AP debacle I had the distinct impression that some of the folks making outlandish comments about this Child Abuse being "typical of certain cultures" were really trolls (probably from GB lol) just trying to destroy any reasonable conversation. Perhaps new members should have all comment held for a certain amount of time to create a awaiting period? I am no IT expert. Perhaps there are some good ideas out there. I totally get why our moderated flipped out and hit the kill switch. It would be nice to find a way to avoid such antagonism for the future.
indianation65
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Beware of Trolls

Post by indianation65 »

I understand you intent Mr. CPurple, but I can't imagine there is any way to "screen" members for future, passionate comments that arise during the course of any given week in our society. With luck, members will screen themselves. I try, try and try more to "not" inflame, and I hope I do my best to succeed.

...wisdom
...spirits in the wind and the trees
purplenoway
Rookie

Post by purplenoway »

After a temporary ban, I am back. It seems "new" members who are "old" Vikings fans are shunned based on the number of their posts and labeled as trolls. How about we focus on the quality, not quantity of the posts before passing judgement on a new member? What is the number of posts needed to be respected on this board? I've been with the Vikes since the early 70's and resent being labeled a troll simply based on my newness to this board. Regarding the shutdown of the board, and the mod, it seems to me :nono: the mod passed judgement on AP before he even stepped foot in a courtroom. Ban me again I guess if I'm out of line again...
juventus1
Practice Squad

Post by juventus1 »

purplenoway wrote:After a temporary ban, I am back. It seems "new" members who are "old" Vikings fans are shunned based on the number of their posts and labeled as trolls. How about we focus on the quality, not quantity of the posts before passing judgement on a new member? What is the number of posts needed to be respected on this board? I've been with the Vikes since the early 70's and resent being labeled a troll simply based on my newness to this board. Regarding the shutdown of the board, and the mod, it seems to me :nono: the mod passed judgement on AP before he even stepped foot in a courtroom. Ban me again I guess if I'm out of line again...
While it may be difficult to do in practice, in principle I agree with you completely.

I've been reading this board for a long time now. I wanted to create an account now quickly before any potential action was taken to limit subscription of new members. I guess I didn't realize I had created this account a while back. I guess I didn't think I had anything meaningful to contribute at that point.

I'm sure there are people like me who just want to talk football after all this (although I don't mind discussing the implications of this Adrian stuff at all either) and are not here just to be disruptive.

I wouldn't want to limit participation, but at the same time I imagine another influx of 'trolls' would be a tough thing for the moderators to police effectively from a one to one basis considering how few mods there are.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

juventus1 wrote: While it may be difficult to do in practice, in principle I agree with you completely.

I've been reading this board for a long time now. I wanted to create an account now quickly before any potential action was taken to limit subscription of new members. I guess I didn't realize I had created this account a while back. I guess I didn't think I had anything meaningful to contribute at that point.

I'm sure there are people like me who just want to talk football after all this (although I don't mind discussing the implications of this Adrian stuff at all either) and are not here just to be disruptive.

I wouldn't want to limit participation, but at the same time I imagine another influx of 'trolls' would be a tough thing for the moderators to police effectively from a one to one basis considering how few mods there are.
It would be tough but that's a mod's job. I'm not sure how we can screen people before allowing them to post but I intend to keep a close eye out for trolls. Between the Peterson story and the prominent appearance of VMB in the news cycle earlier this week (I never saw that coming!), it's certainly possible this board will attract some people who just want to disrupt things. I'm hoping we'll just see a lot of good fans who want to engage in cicvil, intelligent discussions about the Vikings and the NFL.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

We heard you the first time, Jim... [emoji4] [emoji3]

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:We heard you the first time, Jim...

Grrr... my mouse is acting up, double-clicking when I don't intend it to...

Just call me Jimmy Two Times (for all you Goodfellas fans out there)!
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

Mothman wrote:
Grrr... my mouse is acting up, double-clicking when I don't intend it to...

Just call me Jimmy Two Times (for all you Goodfellas fans out there)!
Gotta get the papers, get the papers.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

BGM wrote:Gotta get the papers, get the papers.
I'm glad somebody got the joke! :)