This Week's Enemy Fan Forums: The New Orleans Saints

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

frosted
Career Elite Player

This Week's Enemy Fan Forums: The New Orleans Saints

Post by frosted »

Interesting weekend! I won't touch on any of the weirdness that happened, other than to say, I think we can all agree it sucks to lose, especially when you lose the way we lost Sunday. Hope that doesn't happen again. As we prepare for this week, a few thoughts:

* I thought our defense played somewhat well on Sunday, given the circumstances - they were put in some bad spots by the offense. They held the Pats to only 142 passing yards. That's actually quite good. They did give up 150 rushing yards, but 4.1 yards/carry isn't awful. We also held the Pats to 5-14 on 3rd down - it was nice to see, considering that was one of the things that frustrated most of us a season ago. That said, they will need to get a lot more pressure on Brees than they did on Brady. Additionally, we'll need to create some turnovers if we want to slow the Saints down.

* The offense stunk. Badly. The offensive line stunk, Cassel stunk - the playcalling smelled too. Hopefully something changes this week. Whether that is improved play from Matt or Ted getting into the game, I don't know. All I know is the offense stunk.

* Harrison Smith is still the real deal.

* Anthony Barr was all over the field again - the biggest surprise for me so far has been how well he has played in coverage. Knock on wood. If any week will test him, it'll be this week, in the Superdome, against the Saints.

I don't know how well we'll fare this week, against a team that can pile up the points, especially at home, and likely a bit desperate at 0-2. I will say, a win would be HUGE. A loss will hurt, even though I kind of expect it. Hopefully the guys pull together and dig down deep in the wake of this week's weirdness. I am excited to see how our defensive backs hold up against this offense. They will be without Mark Ingram, who has started the season off pretty well, FWIW. We'll see Robinson and Thomas more, I would expect, or Payton will just let Brees spin it all day, more likely.

Here are the opposing fan forums for this week:

Black & Gold

http://blackandgold.com/saints/

Saint's Report

http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/

Who Dat Fan Zone

http://whodatzone.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=1

Football's Future

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/v ... m.php?f=26

What they're saying:

Anything less than a stomping of the Vikings at home will still have me pissed off. God I hope we see something, ANYTHING that could be viewed as an improvement. I hope Payton doesn't use Ingram being out as an excuse to abandon the run game. He is so hard headed, if everyone else in the world knows we would be better off running in certain situations why doesn't he seem to get it? The way we have been running the ball one could make an argument that we would be better off as a hard hitting run first offense with short passes to big receivers and shots at Cooks when the run opens up the pass. Don't get me started on the defense. All I will say is we better win the turnover battle. Not to mention actual tackling.

If we give them more than 20 points, i'll be pretty mad. Especially without AP. If we don't win in every facet of the game it will be disappointing. This game is as big of a freeby as it gets for the rest of the year. Should be a good confidence booster if this team is what we thought it was.
I hate the Vikings. 62-0, that is my prediction.
A.P. is out indefinitely and Minnesota doesn't have a huge arsenal of fast players that can change the game. A.P.'s replacement, Matt Asiata, is a large strong runner. Not quick by any means, think what Steven Jackson will look like in 3 years quick. Greg Jennings has 1-100 yard game with the Vikings since signing with them in 2013. Kyle Rudolph is the poor man's Jason Witten without the smarts. The fastest and most dangerous player on this team is Corderrelle Patterson. 6'3" 220 lb. 4.4 speed. We isolate Patterson's big plays and keep him in front of us then we coast just like the Patriots did. The Vikings will definitely run the fly sweep with him, throw him screens, and put him over the top.
Asiata reminds me of Tolbert in Carolina. I'd say Jennings would be a bigger problem because of an over emphasis on stopping Patterson from the getting the big play. I'm not confident in our ILB's against Rudolph if the Vikes test them.
Vikings are gonna get blown out. Our offense will move the ball at will and the crowd noise will resurrect our pass rush. 41-10 book it.
Stop the jet sweep and WR screen and he will be a non factor. Truth is, he is very average as an actual WR.

He wont be a problem on deep balls because Cassel, the most pressured QB in the league wont have time to take shots deep with our pass rush at home.

My innovative computer software is showing every indication of a blow out on Sunday.

I'm not worried about this team at home.
The Vikings defense is very good. The score from the Patriots game is not at all indicative of the way they played thanks to poor special teams (including a blocked kick TD) and 4 interceptions. The Patriots average starting field position was around the 50 yard line.

As long as you shut down Cordarralle Patterson and put any pressure at all on Cassel the offense isn't going to do anything. Cassel seems to crumble once things start getting tough, so the deck is already stacked against him playing in New Orleans. He doesn't handle pressure well, so I can see another 4 INT performance if the Saints start hitting him early.

TLDR; take the Saints to cover the spread.
I'm not worried about Ingram. Khiry has looked just as good, our run game won't miss a beat. My concern is does Sean Payton abandon the run after the Ingram injury?

Go Vikes!
jackal
Strong Safety

Re: This Week's Enemy Fan Forums: The New Orleans Saints

Post by jackal »

man they got some interesting fans ...

They are team that cheated and were hurting Farve intentionally in 2009 ...

not our fault the league punished you for it..
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Funny how their fans are saying they can't stand us, etc....yet their team was the one that got busted for the bounty scandal :lol:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Funny how their fans are saying they can't stand us, etc....yet their team was the one that got busted for the bounty scandal :lol:
AND they won the damn Super Bowl!!! Something we may never do!!! :(
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Odlid
Backup

Post by Odlid »

PurpleMustReign wrote: AND they won the damn Super Bowl!!! Something we may never do!!! :(
Pretty sad state of affairs when the Saints, Bucs, Seahawks, and Rams all have rings and the Vikes don't...

Gotta imagine that the Browns fans feel very similar to being a Vikes fan too.
"A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback; and not necessarily in that order." - Bud Grant
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I don't feel good about this game, but beating them would feel amazing for a bunch of reasons.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

DKSweets wrote:I don't feel good about this game, but beating them would feel amazing for a bunch of reasons.

I agree. It's unlikely we win this week on the road and given all the chaos, but it sure would be nice to beat the Taints.
Dirtyswabby
Starter

Post by Dirtyswabby »

I have a gut feeling this one will be bad for the Vikings. I freaking hate the saints, 2009 NFCCG made me hate them forever, I hope im wrong and they beat the brakes off of them.
Representing the Vikings In Raleigh, NC
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Dirtyswabby wrote:I have a gut feeling this one will be bad for the Vikings. I freaking hate the saints, 2009 NFCCG made me hate them forever, I hope im wrong and they beat the brakes off of them.
If the Vikings go into the Superdome and beat an angry 0-2 Saints team playing their home opener after getting spanked by the Pats at home with Matt Cassel at the helm and without their best player I will anoint Zimmer my God and follow him into the depths of hell/Green Bay.

That said, it could get ugly in this one...fast.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Orion
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Orion »

#### the Saints and #### their fans (most of them anyway)
When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

dead_poet wrote: If the Vikings go into the Superdome and beat an angry 0-2 Saints team playing their home opener after getting spanked by the Pats at home with Matt Cassel at the helm and without their best player I will anoint Zimmer my God and follow him into the depths of hell/Green Bay.

That said, it could get ugly in this one...fast.
I just have a feeling about this game too, I hope I am wrong but I think it will get ugly fast. After game one the sky was the limit, after the second game and the recent issues feeling a lot like another top 5 draft pick is coming this spring (praying I am wrong).
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

This is the first game we get to see how a Mike Zimmer team bounces back after a defeat like that. It's time to see how these young players react.

I can understand a loss. With Peterson out they're going to have to change their offensive philosophy in a hurry. I don't expect it to happen right away and so I am expecting a loss here.

Here is what I'll consider a 'good' loss;

TO ratio stays at least even (even if it means a lot of punting)
Fewer sacks allowed
Fewer penalties
Consistent pressure on opposing QB
Clean up dropped passes

The defense can still have a strong showing and without a spark on offense we're likely to lose. That's what I actually think will happen. Especially if they fake their way out of giving Patterson the ball again. Sometimes you outsmart yourself and I feel like the team did that last week.

I don't like the Vikings in this one ... too much going on ... the best player is off the field ... an already young team is going to have to adjust when they hadn't fulled grasped what they were trying to do to start with.

But I see a chance. There are a lot of good players on this team and I don't think it's unlikely to see lows like last week and then strong showings after.

I'd love to see wins but I'll settle for progress.
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

I expect us to get blown-out and lose by double digits. And if that happens I'll still feel that we have a franchise that's pointed in the right direction. Patience. We have a good coaching staff, a better than average front office and some owners that (despite being a little odd at times and having some skeletons in their closet) have shown a willingness to spend money, unlike the cheapskate Red McCombs. Nothing more deflating than those years with McCombs where we would pass on free agency and go into the season with a huge cap cushion.

At home in the Superdome, Brees will very likely carve up our pass defense. And if we send the kitchen sink at him in terms of blitzes ... well ... Brees is the equal of Brady for pre-snap reads and quick releases to defeat the blitz.

On offense I just do not see us scoring anywhere near enough points to be matching what the Saints offense is likely to hang on the board.

We made the right decision on Adrian Peterson and that decision will be vindicated in the end.
MikethePurple
Veteran

Post by MikethePurple »

In an attempt to look for any sort of silver lining does anyone have any stats or ideas on how the Saints have performed vs. Zimmer defenses in the past? Maybe he has something on the Saints offense that we don't know about.......I know I'm probably stretching.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

dead_poet wrote: If the Vikings go into the Superdome and beat an angry 0-2 Saints team playing their home opener after getting spanked by the Pats at home with Matt Cassel at the helm and without their best player I will anoint Zimmer my God and follow him into the depths of hell/Green Bay.
Depths of hell - maybe, but Green Bay? That might be a little too far...