Weeeeeerrrreeeee Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Orion
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Weeeeeerrrreeeee Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!!

Post by Orion »

Cliff wrote: At least one of the people who help run this board consider glg one of the most rational people he's talked to. So it might just depend on your definition of rational.

For me, it's not rational to be more disgusted by someone taking a message board down for a day and a half than someone who left lacerations on the legs and testicles of a 4-year old while making him eat leaves in 'the whipping closet'.

I'll leave you to your opinion, but this is still a private community, you can take it too far.
Yeah, nothing screams rational to me like deleting a bunch of posts and users without warning because he disagreed with them and didn't "understand making excuses for Peterson or worse, openly advocating for child abuse" instead of actually reaching out to the users to try and understand where they're coming from. Excuse me if I find that behavior quite childish, especially after claiming to have stepped down and relinquish admin.

Next time there's a controversial issue, the mods, especially the ones who consider glg rational in this regard, would do well to make it clear they only tolerate specific viewpoints and give a heads up so we're not scratching our heads if we're banned over a potentially controversial opinion.
When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Orion wrote: Yeah, nothing screams rational to me like deleting a bunch of posts and users without warning because he disagreed with them and didn't "understand making excuses for Peterson or worse, openly advocating for child abuse" instead of actually reaching out to the users to try and understand where they're coming from. Excuse me if I find that behavior quite childish, especially after claiming to have stepped down and relinquish admin.
So in your view 'rational' and 'perfect' are synonymous? I've been communicating with glg for about a decade. Excuse me if I don't judge him based on one act that even if I don't agree with, is understandable.
Next time there's a controversial issue, the mods, especially the ones who consider glg rational in this regard, would do well to make it clear they only tolerate specific viewpoints and give a heads up so we're not scratching our heads if we're banned over a potentially controversial opinion.
Poor you, having to be worried that your view about a topic might not make it to fellow fans of your favorite football team. It must be tough to be forced to post in the kind of community that stifles your opinion like that. Even though here you are, having an opinion in direct contrast to the guy who technically owns the website now, about a topic that he actually cares about.

Seems like as long as you're not attacking or berating someone and are within the other posted rules you can have whatever view you'd like.

But just a heads up, glg is still a member of this board and personal attacks against other members are not permitted.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Orion wrote: Yeah, nothing screams rational to me like deleting a bunch of posts and users without warning because he disagreed with them and didn't "understand making excuses for Peterson or worse, openly advocating for child abuse" instead of actually reaching out to the users to try and understand where they're coming from. Excuse me if I find that behavior quite childish, especially after claiming to have stepped down and relinquish admin.

If I may step in for a moment...

Orion, at this point, Cliff isn't a mod but rather the board administrator and our host, the guy who is currently making it possible for us to even have this thread and this discussion. More to the point, as a mod, I can tell you that I pay more attention to specific behavior than specific viewpoints, although there's obviously some crossover between the two. I think for the most part, if someone does get banned, they're told why. I agree that nobody should be left scratching their heads.

I think what Cliff is trying to is say that overall, Geoff is a rational person. Geoff himself said he "snapped", which implies a degree of irrationality in his recent behavior but he also reconsidered his actions and helped restore this board which strikes me as a pretty rational response. I certainly don't think deleting so many accounts and shutting down the board was the right thing to do. However, now that it's back, the last thing we need to do is allow what happened to become another wedge between people.

Nobody is defined by one or two actions, even if those actions can sometimes be completely life-altering (as Adrian Peterson is discovering).
daff
Rookie

Post by daff »

I've been a full-time lurker and rare poster since the asf-mv days. You can think of me as the creepy, silent-and-staring uncle in the corner of the family gathering.

I just want to say thanks to Geoff for making a backup and then rethinking things, and both he and Cliff for working to bring it back for us all.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

daff wrote:I've been a full-time lurker and rare poster since the asf-mv days. You can think of me as the creepy, silent-and-staring uncle in the corner of the family gathering.
We already did! We just didn't have the heart to tell you. ;)

Seriously, welcome back. Post a little more!
Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Post by Kansas Viking »

PsyDanny wrote:
I tell people that some of us go back to Usenet days, and usually get the "what's that?" response. So I just tell them it means many of us are old.
:rofl: No kidding. I was explaining things to some of the guys at work today and when I mentioned Usenet I got the "dog ears up, head tilted to the side" look from them. Couldn't help but feel my age.
Mike

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Leafman wrote:I leave this board in 2010, and the next time I come across it is via ...

... CBS Sports??

Jeezus guys, ya hit a new level of partisan rancor, eh??

I haven't read through all the relevant posts and threads, but it appears that things got a bit messy. Seems to be going around (NFL, Peterson, Ukraine... :wink: ). But problems always present opportunity. Crisis always offers itself as a catalyst for change. And from death are sown the seeds of renewal and growth.

So it is for the Vikings Message Board, and so it is for the team that binds its tortured community together.

My Dad was a Vikings fan from the day the NFL announced it was awarding a franchise to Minnesota, and I fully integrated his passion for the team in to my own life. I learned all about resilience and tenacity in the face of anguish from the experience of sharing a never-ending stream of bitter Vikings disappointments with my Dad. My one wish was that the Vikings would win a Super Bowl before he died, because I know how crushed he was by the four defeats in Super Bowls IV, VIII, IX and XI, as well as by the losses in the 1999 and 2010 Championship games, and how badly he wanted to see that Lombardi trophy hoisted by the Purple.

Dad died last December. So now they need to win one for me.

Let's go Vikes!

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN
Leaf! Welcome back! Ive missed your posts!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Kansas Viking wrote: :rofl: No kidding. I was explaining things to some of the guys at work today and when I mentioned Usenet I got the "dog ears up, head tilted to the side" look from them. Couldn't help but feel my age.
LOL! It just doesn't seem like it was that long ago.
Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Post by Kansas Viking »

Leafman wrote:I leave this board in 2010, and the next time I come across it is via ...

... CBS Sports??

I haven't read through all the relevant posts and threads, but it appears that things got a bit messy. Seems to be going around (NFL, Peterson, Ukraine... :wink: ). But problems always present opportunity. Crisis always offers itself as a catalyst for change. And from death are sown the seeds of renewal and growth.

So it is for the Vikings Message Board, and so it is for the team that binds its tortured community together.

My Dad was a Vikings fan from the day the NFL announced it was awarding a franchise to Minnesota, and I fully integrated his passion for the team in to my own life. I learned all about resilience and tenacity in the face of anguish from the experience of sharing a never-ending stream of bitter Vikings disappointments with my Dad. My one wish was that the Vikings would win a Super Bowl before he died, because I know how crushed he was by the four defeats in Super Bowls IV, VIII, IX and XI, as well as by the losses in the 1999 and 2010 Championship games, and how badly he wanted to see that Lombardi trophy hoisted by the Purple.

Dad died last December. So now they need to win one for me.

Let's go Vikes!

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN
Nice to see you again. Condolences on your father.
Mike

daff
Rookie

Post by daff »

Mothman wrote: We already did! We just didn't have the heart to tell you. ;)

Seriously, welcome back. Post a little more!
Thanks, I'll try to be more visible.

On that note - this season has been tough. I was more excited for this year than than for the last several. Came up from MO to see training camp and my first game in MN after being a fan for 20+ years. Followed that with preseason in KC and opener in STL (awesome), and I got great tickets to come back up and see us vs. ATL....and then all of this stuff happens. Now I feel lost and deflated, possibly worse than the last few NFC championship game losses... anyone going to that game want to buy me a beer to cry in?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

daff wrote:Thanks, I'll try to be more visible.

On that note - this season has been tough. I was more excited for this year than than for the last several. Came up from MO to see training camp and my first game in MN after being a fan for 20+ years. Followed that with preseason in KC and opener in STL (awesome), and I got great tickets to come back up and see us vs. ATL....and then all of this stuff happens. Now I feel lost and deflated, possibly worse than the last few NFC championship game losses... anyone going to that game want to buy me a beer to cry in?
I know what you mean about being deflated (I've compared how I felt over the weekend to the mood I was in after the championship game loss in '98) and we only got see one regular season game before it started. Ouch. Hopefully, as the season progresses, the team will gives us a lot more to feel happy about.
Kansas Viking
Starship Commander

Post by Kansas Viking »

Mothman wrote: (I've compared how I felt over the weekend to the mood I was in after the championship game loss in '98)
What is this "championship game loss" that you speak of? :wink:
Mike

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Kansas Viking wrote: What is this "championship game loss" that you speak of? :wink:
Nothing to worry about... it was just a bad dream.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

... CBS Sports??

LEAFMAN THE PURPLE FAN
See what had to be done to get you to come back and post?

In all seriousness, glad to have you back if indeed back you are. I always found what you had to say very insightful and often entertaining at the same time. Hopefully you will keep posting. Also, sorry to hear about your dad.
808vikingsfan
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by 808vikingsfan »

Home!!!!

A little different feeling for me. I was on the outside looking in a couple of days before the shutdown.

In any case, it's good to be back.

Just a question for GLG, did you program a backdoor somewhere? I'm still a little gunshy right now. :D
Deleted: Sept 12 2014
Reborn: Sept 17 2014