Peterson to practice and play this weekend.

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

soflavike
Hall of Famer

Re: Peterson to practice and play this weekend.

Post by soflavike »

Child abuse is bigger than football.

I simply do not agree with the Vikings' decision to activate him.

There is no need to wait for due process here. Doctors evaluated the child and concluded there was sufficient physical evidence to notify authorities. Peterson has admitted he caused the injuries and even that he went too far (in texts to the child's Mom). These facts are sufficient reason to terminate his employment with the Minnesota Vikings, effective immediately.

It really hurts to type all of the above... I was a huge fan of the guy... Greatest running back I've ever seen, but some things are just bigger than football. :(
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

soflavike wrote:Child abuse is bigger than football.

I simply do not agree with the Vikings' decision to activate him.

There is no need to wait for due process here. Doctors evaluated the child and concluded there was sufficient physical evidence to notify authorities. Peterson has admitted he caused the injuries and even that he went too far (in texts to the child's Mom). These facts are sufficient reason to terminate his employment with the Minnesota Vikings, effective immediately.

It really hurts to type all of the above... I was a huge fan of the guy... Greatest running back I've ever seen, but some things are just bigger than football. :(

I know its hard man. But I also made my decision once I realized how many times Adrian actually hit the child with a switch.

I went out and bought Adrian's jersey (The first rook jersey I ever purchased) after week 3 of the 2007 pre-season. I remember it vividly. Against the New York Jets. Adrian Breaks one down the right sideline, and with 2 guys in front of him with the perfect angle- instead of just stepping out of bounds, Adrian runs 8 yards in-field towards both guys, lowers his shoulder, and gave those two boys WAY MORE THAN THEY WANTED TO HANDLE. I have been in love since (football love).

I grew up with Barry sanders and Emmett, and TD, and Fred Jackson. I have always loved the RB position, and a guy like Adrian.... Who in my totally UNBIASED opinion :wink: is the Greatest runner of the football I've ever seen. I accumulated 3 jerseys of his over the years, which culminated in my 2012 home vikings authentic Elite jersey to commemorate Adrian's Unbelievable MVP campaign.

This guy walked on water as far as I was concerned. Ya his ego has grown quite considerably over the years, but with so much respect and adulation from the football world, its hard to imagine most guys wouldn't do the same. (That's why Barry might be my old-favorite, but in light of recent news, new-old-favorite player of ALL TIME)

I just enjoyed the privilege of getting to watch this guy play football. I mean, what he did for our team are 1st ballot HOF things... NO DOUBT
And having him play on my team?? Oh my god, it made other trivialities of being a Vikings fan a little easier to ingest..

So, naturally I was holding out hope, that this could be an estranged ex-girlfriend trying to squeeze a $100 million dollar man for what he's worth. Or hoping for any other of the various scenarios which I conjured up in my head, prior to learning more information, indicating AD would be completely removed from any wrong-doing.

But After seeing the pictures. And then subsequently learning that Adrian admitted to the actions. I don't think I can do it. YOU DON'T STRIKE A 4-YEAR-OLD THAT MANY TIMES. OR THAT HARD.... EVER

So I have thrown away his 3 jerseys, and I am extremely sad. But my favorite athlete of all time is no longer Adrian Peterson.

Although, he is the Greatest Runner I have EVER seen.... F it...
Please just watch(04:39-05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s
This is a dog.
Compare that to this guy (00:46-01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s
"It's ok to hit the bag"
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

The way I see it, the Vikings don't have a choice here. Their entire offense is based around Peterson. Without him in the backfield, they will wither and die as New England made clear on Sunday. So to not play Peterson is to go into this next stretch of games with one arm tied behind their backs. They'll get killed and they know it.

The morality aspect of this is clear to me - AD is innocent until proven guilty and he deserves his day in court before the book gets thrown at him. As of right now he's guilty in the court of public opinion, but that isn't enough for the league or team to punish him further. Vikings were prudent to sit him down this last weekend, but further action won't be warranted until all the details and facts are out.

As much as some may not like that when allegations of child abuse are made and disturbing pictures are shown, it's how our legal system is supposed to work.
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

I almost still want to hold out hope, that maybe this is all just a huge -disinformation scenario. But I just don't think it is.. We will know for sure, soon enough.

Viking's PR takes catastrophic hit if Adrian is found Guilty, with today's decision..
This is a dog.
"It's ok to hit the bag"
NextQuestion
Career Elite Player

Post by NextQuestion »

AJ Jefferson arrested on domestic assault? Cut the next day. Obviously players are prioritized by their draft spot, talent, etc. This is bad and Spielman's presser was rough as hell
Pull yr 84 jerseys out.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Just watched the presser on ESPN.

Really ticks me off that the Wilfs sent Spielman and Zimmer out to face the press. Ownership, with the advice of legal counsel, made the decision to reinstate AP. They should have been man enough to face the music.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote:The way I see it, the Vikings don't have a choice here. Their entire offense is based around Peterson. Without him in the backfield, they will wither and die as New England made clear on Sunday. So to not play Peterson is to go into this next stretch of games with one arm tied behind their backs. They'll get killed and they know it.

The morality aspect of this is clear to me - AD is innocent until proven guilty and he deserves his day in court before the book gets thrown at him. As of right now he's guilty in the court of public opinion, but that isn't enough for the league or team to punish him further. Vikings were prudent to sit him down this last weekend, but further action won't be warranted until all the details and facts are out.

As much as some may not like that when allegations of child abuse are made and disturbing pictures are shown, it's how our legal system is supposed to work.
Apparently the Ravens disagree.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

I agree. I don't like the move. And... I agree with J.Kapp

Ziggy and Mark are Chicken Shizznizzles for this one..
This is a dog.
"It's ok to hit the bag"
NDVikeFan
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by NDVikeFan »

VikingLord wrote:The way I see it, the Vikings don't have a choice here. Their entire offense is based around Peterson. Without him in the backfield, they will wither and die as New England made clear on Sunday. So to not play Peterson is to go into this next stretch of games with one arm tied behind their backs. They'll get killed and they know it.

The Vikings didnt have a choice? The Vikings had plenty of choices. So if this was Ponder he should have been fired? What about a coach? But because the offense is based around him they had no choice but to put him back in?

They could have done the right thing and IMO, and again it's just my opinion, but the bungled this big time by letting him play football. I would rather go 1-15 without Peterson than watch him play under these circumstances.

Some things are bigger than football. And AP, under these circumstances has no business being around the Vikings at this time. Keeping him deactivated would have been the right call IMO.
Last edited by NDVikeFan on Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NDVikeFan
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by NDVikeFan »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Just watched the presser on ESPN.

Really ticks me off that the Wilfs sent Spielman and Zimmer out to face the press. Ownership, with the advice of legal counsel, made the decision to reinstate AP. They should have been man enough to face the music.
It was Ultimately Ziggys call to let him play again. And Ziggy throws out Spielman and Zimmer to take the heat. Ziggy should have had the balls to show up and field the questions himself.

I know for a fact Peterson is playing because of his talents and no other reason. Had this been Asiata he would have been fired right away.

BAd bad bad move by the Vikings on this one!
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

What a bad move! Non-Stars on the team have had public accusations and been cut/suspended for FAR less aggrevious actions then AP. And AP has already admitted that he did beat up this poor kid! There is no need for a jury. AP admitted whipping this boy and tearing up his back side. If this does qualify as Bad Conduct under the team & NFL rules, what does?? The NFL is just a group of greedy rich lawyers and THUGS dressed up as "Heroes". Michael Vick tortured and killed dogs, he IS sicko. Rothlesburg has repeatedly tried to rape girls in bar bathrooms, he IS a wanna-be rapist, Ray Lewis IS an part of a double homocide, and NOW our Vikes are abbetting a Child Abuser. Pretty damn sick and all in the hopes of chasing a buck!
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I think your perception of whether or not it is acceptable to allow him to play coincides with your view of how malicious his deeds were (Captain Obvious to the rescue!).

Personally, I want him punished. And I want the NFL to punish him according to what he deserves. If that is 6 games, fine. If it's 8 games, fine. If it's more...I'll accept it. Mostly because they probably won't ask my opinion.

I want him punished so he learns a lesson, not because I think he's a monster. He DEFINITELY went overboard. It wasn't okay. But I have a feeling that he was punished the same way, and in his eyes, he has become a living legend because of his discipline, and he wanted to impart incredible discipline on the child. He needs to learn that what he is doing isn't okay, but I believe that he truly was preparing a child (far too strictly, and far to early) to become an adult in the way that he was brought up.

I think as a whole, we would be well advised to understand that there are grey areas in life. Just because somebody did wrong and needs punished doesn't mean they are horrible people and deserve to lose everything. There CAN be middle ground, and there should be. I guarantee every single person throwing stones has done something that would devastate them if the world knew about it.
indianation65
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by indianation65 »

He's practicing again? How about this, from one of his ex-girlfriends...

...But another woman has come forward to say she is the mother of another Peterson child — a 4-year-old boy — and that the running back has fathered enough children to run offense on seven-on-seven drills!

...wisdom through laughter during the hard times!
...spirits in the wind and the trees
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

My question is how does Adrian Peterson playing or not playing do anything to eliminate or alleviate the subculture of corporal punishment just like how does Ray Rice's situation do anything to eliminate or alleviate domestic violence. Football players are less than .01% of society and Roger Goodell can't punish the man on the street for punching his wife or beating his kid. These 2 are just the scapegoats for a much bigger societal issue that we as human beings have more power to change than the commissioner of the NFL.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

As much as I would like to see AD out there, I don't see this as a good idea. I know I don't have all the facts, but, at the very least, he needs to round up all his kids, and the moms, and apologize for what he has done. Because I don't think for a minute that this was the only kid to get 'switched'.

I firmly believe in 'spare the rod, spoil the child' concept, but its outdated (if fathers or mothers still do this). A single spank gets the point across. It worked for me, and I got a lot of them. But what was far worse, was, not being able to attend school functions (like sports, god that killed me), hanging out with friends, etc., for a number of days or weeks. Smoking weed at 13 got me an entire month once, and to this day I don't touch the stuff. But taking a stick, to the bare legs of a kid, just scares the hell out of him, and will give him problems later on. Its going to be hard to cheer AD on. But, I could cheer Ponder on at time, so....j/k

Im sure the Wilf's and AD's attorney have fully thought out the situation. I just hope AD doesn't have a press conference, or answer any questions.