Peterson to practice and play this weekend.

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

frosted
Career Elite Player

Peterson to practice and play this weekend.

Post by frosted »

I wish we could talk about football and not have this hanging over us.

I fully understand why it is being discussed in great detail, I just wish it hadn't happened. Disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Peterson to practice and play this weekend.

Post by Mothman »

I deleted a few posts in this thread. I know emotions are running hot but let's all do our best to be respectful to one another, even if we vehemently disagree with someone else's point of view on this issue.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Good call, Mothman.

If Peterson plays, I'm not watching the game. It's all the influence I have on this mess. :steamed:
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

DKSweets wrote:I think your perception of whether or not it is acceptable to allow him to play coincides with your view of how malicious his deeds were (Captain Obvious to the rescue!).

Personally, I want him punished. And I want the NFL to punish him according to what he deserves. If that is 6 games, fine. If it's 8 games, fine. If it's more...I'll accept it. Mostly because they probably won't ask my opinion.

I want him punished so he learns a lesson, not because I think he's a monster. He DEFINITELY went overboard. It wasn't okay. But I have a feeling that he was punished the same way, and in his eyes, he has become a living legend because of his discipline, and he wanted to impart incredible discipline on the child. He needs to learn that what he is doing isn't okay, but I believe that he truly was preparing a child (far too strictly, and far to early) to become an adult in the way that he was brought up.

I think as a whole, we would be well advised to understand that there are grey areas in life. Just because somebody did wrong and needs punished doesn't mean they are horrible people and deserve to lose everything. There CAN be middle ground, and there should be. I guarantee every single person throwing stones has done something that would devastate them if the world knew about it.
Wow ya, I think you speak a lot of reason there...
Please just watch(04:39-05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s
This is a dog.
Compare that to this guy (00:46-01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s
"It's ok to hit the bag"
PotGoblin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by PotGoblin »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:As much as I would like to see AD out there, I don't see this as a good idea. I know I don't have all the facts, but, at the very least, he needs to round up all his kids, and the moms, and apologize for what he has done. Because I don't think for a minute that this was the only kid to get 'switched'.
But do you honestly think he knows exactly how many are out there? I may need to charter a few planes.

Kidding aside that is probably not a bad idea
Purple Pride till the end.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Jerome Felton supports Peterson, discusses childhood discipline
Vikings fullback Jerome Felton was among the many players in the locker room that came out in support of running back Adrian Peterson’s reinstatement on Monday, but he was also asked about Peterson’s choice of discipline.

Peterson has been charged with one count of injury to a child, allegedly using a switch to whip his child as a form of punishment.

I’m from the South, so I probably got it a little worse than that,” Felton said. “I guess people have different opinions, and you’ll have to judge for yourself. But yes, I’ve probably had it a couple times. I’m from the South so maybe it’s a little more common down there than up here.”

The Madisonville, Tenn. native was then asked what impact it had on his life.

“I feel like I’m a better person for it,” Felton said. “I had direction under my family. My mother cared about me a lot, and I know people that didn’t have parents that cared and didn’t discipline them that turned out a lot different than I did. It’s a personal judgment; some people will like it, some people won’t, but that’s on them.”
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

Couldn't agree more! I was talking to my Grandmother on the issue and she has 17 brothers and sisters (crazy..) i showed her the pictures although she agreed it was bad she said she had seen her brothers get it worse quiet a few times.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
mossbutt
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mossbutt »

soflavike wrote:Child abuse is bigger than football.

I simply do not agree with the Vikings' decision to activate him.

There is no need to wait for due process here. Doctors evaluated the child and concluded there was sufficient physical evidence to notify authorities. Peterson has admitted he caused the injuries and even that he went too far (in texts to the child's Mom). These facts are sufficient reason to terminate his employment with the Minnesota Vikings, effective immediately.

It really hurts to type all of the above... I was a huge fan of the guy... Greatest running back I've ever seen, but some things are just bigger than football. :(
Yep. I agree.........aaaaaaand without Adrian we stand less of a chance of winning. But, and brace yourself for this cheesey adage, "Its not whether you win or lose but how you play the game".
New Orleans beat us in that long ago playoff game by playing dirty football that and a little creative reffing. We were the better team that day and even though we lost it felt good knowing we outplayed them.
I dont want a mean bastard on my team, even if we stand a better chance of winning. Be mean on the football field, not to helpless little terrified kids. And dont tell me he doesnt know better.
Is it too much too expect a man in a violent sport to behave un-violently off the field?