CP84 as a receiver...

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

CP84 as a receiver...

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

CP isn't good at adjusting his routes. He isn't good at separation. Doesn't have the soft hands. I hope our WR coach is able to teach him, because we are bad at WR, terrible in fact, until Simpson comes back. My question is, how long does it generally take for a raw WR to learn in the NFL? And is our WR coach any good? Because Theilan is looking better then wright at this time. Simpson always has been. Jennings is a #2, at the very best, on any other team.
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: CP84 as a receiver...

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:CP isn't good at adjusting his routes. He isn't good at separation. Doesn't have the soft hands. I hope our WR coach is able to teach him, because we are bad at WR, terrible in fact, until Simpson comes back. My question is, how long does it generally take for a raw WR to learn in the NFL? And is our WR coach any good? Because Theilan is looking better then wright at this time. Simpson always has been. Jennings is a #2, at the very best, on any other team.

Based on what exactly? how many balls did he drop?

How do you arrive at this conclusion that he can't adjust his routes?

About to fire up the film in 1 hr
Please just watch(04:39-05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s
This is a dog.
Compare that to this guy (00:46-01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s
"It's ok to hit the bag"
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

I agree that Flash has a long way to go as a polished WR, but I think you overvalue Simpson. He's not that good. Just my opinion, of course.
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

Yeah there were a couple of passes where CP didn't come back for, or attack the ball. He has a tendency to wait for the ball to come to him and that's allowing defenders the time to get to the ball. I think that's something he'll learn over time.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

One loss and our entire team sucks. In other news, the sky is falling.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

My question is, how long does it generally take for a raw WR to learn in the NFL?
Don't they usually say third year is when a WR hits their stride?
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

Demi wrote: Don't they usually say third year is when a WR hits their stride?
Nope, that's what they said about QB's back in 1995 xD.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

28BreaksAnkles wrote:
Based on what exactly? how many balls did he drop?

How do you arrive at this conclusion that he can't adjust his routes?

About to fire up the film in 1 hr
From watching him. He doesn't have the double move yet either. Hes not a rookie, he should have a lot of this under his hat by now. When you watch some other teams WRs, even when their QB is running, or has to throw quick, a WR comes open, Havent seen much of that by CP. Whats even more frustrating is, Norv didn't adjust and give him some rushing plays. When CP is the main target of the D to shut down, he isn't going to come up with the ball very often.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

frosted21 wrote:I agree that Flash has a long way to go as a polished WR, but I think you overvalue Simpson. He's not that good. Just my opinion, of course.
He isn't a superstar, no. But on a team with pretty poor WR's he's the best. Jennings should be. I really do like Simpson. He has to leave the weed and booze for the offseason though, and not get into a drivers seat with either.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: He isn't a superstar, no. But on a team with pretty poor WR's he's the best. Jennings should be. I really do like Simpson. He has to leave the weed and booze for the offseason though, and not get into a drivers seat with either.
So Patterson isn't a very good WR, but Simpson is the best we have?
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

DKSweets wrote: So Patterson isn't a very good WR, but Simpson is the best we have?
Exactly. Unless you can find a better WR on our team? Jennings should be it, the amount of money he is getting, but the packer still left in him, just isn't getting it done. Wright isn't worth putting ion the field.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Purplemania wrote:Patterson is what he is = that duel threat, trick play, similar to Harvin, but the guy has the potential to grow more as a WR. I doubt Patterson is going to ever be a 100 rec 1200 yds kind of WR, but he will give you 75 rec 900 yds 9 tds 600 rush yds 7 rush td. He's a weapon.

FYI, not sure what you saw that makes you critique him so harsh. I thought Patterson has done very well as a WR. He's uses his body and catches with his hands. Those are encouraging signs and crucial to be an NFL WR. Patterson's biggest issues are route running and adjusting to the ball in the air. He'll be alright though man.
I hope so. But when he is getting all of the attention, its going to be hard for him to get better. Which should leave Simpson wide open. Or in this case, Wright.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Exactly. Unless you can find a better WR on our team? Jennings should be it, the amount of money he is getting, but the packer still left in him, just isn't getting it done. Wright isn't worth putting ion the field.
I think that Jennings is better than Simpson. Patterson is a much more effective offensive player the Simpson also, IMO. I've just never seen anything out of Simpson to suggest he's a good WR. He flashes at times, sure, but even Wright has done that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Purplemania wrote:Patterson is what he is = that duel threat, trick play, similar to Harvin, but the guy has the potential to grow more as a WR. I doubt Patterson is going to ever be a 100 rec 1200 yds kind of WR, but he will give you 75 rec 900 yds 9 tds 600 rush yds 7 rush td. He's a weapon.

FYI, not sure what you saw that makes you critique him so harsh. I thought Patterson has done very well as a WR. He's uses his body and catches with his hands. Those are encouraging signs and crucial to be an NFL WR. Patterson's biggest issues are route running and adjusting to the ball in the air. He'll be alright though man.

I agree. I already think Patterson is an offensive force. He's dangerous with the ball in his hands as a returner, runner, and after a catch.

He's only going to get better. I'm much more concerned about other players on the team. That includes some of the OL players.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:CP isn't good at adjusting his routes. He isn't good at separation. Doesn't have the soft hands. I hope our WR coach is able to teach him, because we are bad at WR, terrible in fact, until Simpson comes back. My question is, how long does it generally take for a raw WR to learn in the NFL? And is our WR coach any good? Because Theilan is looking better then wright at this time. Simpson always has been. Jennings is a #2, at the very best, on any other team.

The Vikes have had the same WR coach since 2008: George Stewart.

Prior to joining the Vikes, Stewart was the WR coach for the Falcons from 2003-2007. He was the 49ers WR coach from 1996-2002. I'm under the impression he is well-respected around the league.