Adrian Peterson Indicted for Negligent Injury to a Child

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Re: Adrian Peterson Indicted for Negligent Injury to a Child

Post by DK Sweets »

I spoke with my girlfriends mother on this last night. She was raised in Mississippi and says that while she understands why people are upset, she absolutely faced punishment of equal force as a child. My girlfriend was never beat as hard, but she dealt with switches and belts as well. I'll never excuse Peterson's actions, but this might be more common than we like to admit.
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

"The dark cant penetrate darkness, only light can do that; hate can never overcome hate, only love can do that."

However pure ones intentions are, vehemently arguing your position on controversial issues without first understanding and considering the others positions only makes things worse. Life is a complex combination of choices and circumstances and we often judge others based on our choices and circumstances without ever trying to understand theirs. We want forgiveness without the willingness to give forgiveness, we judge others when we ourselves don't want to be judged.

Prayer: lord give me the patience to deal with the things I can't change the courage to change the things that I can and the wisdom to know the difference between the two
Superman
Backup

Post by Superman »

I personally feel that spanking is an appropriate means of discipline, though the use of a foreign object is not my way. I cannot say though that anyone deciding to use a foreign object (a reasonable one, not a baseball bat), is wrong just because it is not my way. The items in question are (1.) severity. We're the scratches from the switch overboard? Yes. And then (2. And this is crucial) was that degree of severity intentional? I do not believe it was. Peterson's texts to the child's mother prior to anything being made public indicate that he saw afterwards that it was too much, which would allow one to reasonably assume that he did not mean to achieve that level of severity in the first place. If a father takes the training wheels off of his sons bike a little too early, knowing that the boy is going to crash a few times before learning how to ride... Then the kid crashes and gets scratched up twice as bad as Peterson's son, is the father negligent in court? Assuming that the degree of severity was unintentional, there is no need to forgive Peterson, or make it our business (nor should he care AT ALL what our opinion is). Now the man can't even be around his own son unsupervised. Give me a break. Everyone is so eager to spin the story into something worse (and more attention grabbing) than reality. He's a MONSTER, DISGUSTING.... Are we bored? The man spanked his son (whom he Loves) harder than he meant to, felt terrible about it immediately when he saw, and has learned from it. The only forgiveness needed is from his family. Still a good man, just had a lapse of judgement.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Superman wrote:I personally feel that spanking is an appropriate means of discipline, though the use of a foreign object is not my way. I cannot say though that anyone deciding to use a foreign object (a reasonable one, not a baseball bat), is wrong just because it is not my way. The items in question are (1.) severity. We're the scratches from the switch overboard? Yes. And then (2. And this is crucial) was that degree of severity intentional? I do not believe it was. Peterson's texts to the child's mother prior to anything being made public indicate that he saw afterwards that it was too much, which would allow one to reasonably assume that he did not mean to achieve that level of severity in the first place. If a father takes the training wheels off of his sons bike a little too early, knowing that the boy is going to crash a few times before learning how to ride... Then the kid crashes and gets scratched up twice as bad as Peterson's son, is the father negligent in court? Assuming that the degree of severity was unintentional, there is no need to forgive Peterson, or make it our business (nor should he care AT ALL what our opinion is). Now the man can't even be around his own son unsupervised. Give me a break. Everyone is so eager to spin the story into something worse (and more attention grabbing) than reality. He's a MONSTER, DISGUSTING.... Are we bored? The man spanked his son (whom he Loves) harder than he meant to, felt terrible about it immediately when he saw, and has learned from it. The only forgiveness needed is from his family. Still a good man, just had a lapse of judgement.
I have to disagree with the part bolded above. Just because he texted the mother afterwards doesn't give any indication that he didn't intentionally mean to take it to that level of severity. The only thing it suggests is that he regretted doing it, but it is no indication of his original intentions. I'm not saying his intentions were to be that severe, but we don't know for sure and the only person who knows for sure is AP. The texts are no indication one way or the other what his original intentions were IMO.
BGM
Hall of Famer

Post by BGM »

I was spanked as a kid, and to be honest, I don't remember a single one. Do yo uknow why? Because the spanking was never the point. It was never about inflicting pain, it was about getting one's attention, at least in my house.

But here are some very crucial differences... It was restricted to times when we put ourselves or others in danger: running toward a busy street, not coming home when we were called (remember before cell phones, when your mother's voice carried miles?), hurting another kid, etc. Neither my father nor my mother was a world class athlete with elite strength. As far as I know, I was never swatted on my butt more than twice at a time. My parents never used a switch or anything else that would do more than sting. And worrying about the spanking upset me far more than the spanking itself.

Truth is, their spankings did very little to shape me as a person. However, the standards they set for how I treated others, their example in treating others well, THAT had an effect on me.

What Adrian Peterson did to a four year old boy is not ok. Ever. There is no argument. If you believe that cutting and bruising a four-year-old is acceptable, you are wrong. Full stop.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa
Superman
Backup

Post by Superman »

Purple Reign wrote: I have to disagree with the part bolded above. Just because he texted the mother afterwards doesn't give any indication that he didn't intentionally mean to take it to that level of severity. The only thing it suggests is that he regretted doing it, but it is no indication of his original intentions. I'm not saying his intentions were to be that severe, but we don't know for sure and the only person who knows for sure is AP. The texts are no indication one way or the other what his original intentions were IMO.
I was referring to the content of the text's, where Peterson expressed a realization and SURPRISE as to the severity/location of the marks. Why would he have "felt bad" or been surprised at all at the results if they were indicative of his intentions all along? This is of course just deductive reasoning and as you said no one truly knows but Peterson, though I am inclined to believe the severity/location (the shot to the privates especially) was unintentional given the circumstances.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Superman wrote: I was referring to the content of the text's, where Peterson expressed a realization and SURPRISE as to the severity/location of the marks. Why would he have "felt bad" or been surprised at all at the results if they were indicative of his intentions all along? This is of course just deductive reasoning and as you said no one truly knows but Peterson, though I am inclined to believe the severity/location (the shot to the privates especially) was unintentional given the circumstances.
I don't doubt that AP didn't intentionally target the private area, but not so sure about the severity. How can one not see that the skin was broken, not in just one area but several. Wouldn't one stop once they saw they are breaking the skin? I'm not saying AP's intentions were to be that severe, but I've seen plenty of cases where people lose their temper and cause injuries that they regret afterwards. IMO, intentions here are secondary - it's his actions that should be held accountable. I'm sure drunk drivers who kill other people don't intend to do that, but they still did it and are punished for the actions, regardless of their intentions. And no, I am not comparing a drunk driver killing someone to child abuse, just giving an example of being held accountable for actions and not just intentions.
Superman
Backup

Post by Superman »

Purple Reign wrote: I don't doubt that AP didn't intentionally target the private area, but not so sure about the severity. How can one not see that the skin was broken, not in just one area but several. Wouldn't one stop once they saw they are breaking the skin? I'm not saying AP's intentions were to be that severe, but I've seen plenty of cases where people lose their temper and cause injuries that they regret afterwards. IMO, intentions here are secondary - it's his actions that should be held accountable. I'm sure drunk drivers who kill other people don't intend to do that, but they still did it and are punished for the actions, regardless of their intentions. And no, I am not comparing a drunk driver killing someone to child abuse, just giving an example of being held accountable for actions and not just intentions.
I hear you, and that's what the courtroom is for. But moving on afterwards, intention plays a large role in developing some perspective and being able to move on.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Superman wrote:.
I hear you, and that's what the courtroom is for. But moving on afterwards, intention plays a large role in developing some perspective and being able to move on.
I totally agree. :thumbsup:
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

What's next for Adrian Peterson?
@TomPelissero -- The way I hear it, no talks on Adrian Peterson plea deal and he doesn't want one. He wants a jury to clear his name
http://www.usatoday.com/videos/sports/n ... /16590743/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

dead_poet wrote:What's next for Adrian Peterson?
http://www.usatoday.com/videos/sports/n ... /16590743/
Wow.

He just doesn't seem to understand that he could lose this case and end up in prison.

And if he wins, he's likely to feel justified ... and go right back to beating his kids.

Wow.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:... and go right back to beating his kids.
We don't know how this will affect him and his parenting. For all we know even if he's vindicated he'll change his discipline approach.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

dead_poet wrote: We don't know how this will affect him and his parenting. For all we know even if he's vindicated he'll change his discipline approach.
OK, I didn't say we know for sure, but I'll grant you the point.

However, it seems to me that if he really believed he went too far, he'd plead this down to a misdemeanor, pay his fine, apologize, and get on with his life. On the other hand, if a guy is willing to risk prison and a felony conviction just to make a point, then I find it unlikely he'll change his parenting.

YMMV.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wow.

He just doesn't seem to understand that he could lose this case and end up in prison.

And if he wins, he's likely to feel justified ... and go right back to beating his kids.

Wow.
There is no chance that he will spend a second in prison for this.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: He just doesn't seem to understand that he could lose this case and end up in prison.
If found guilty, I wonder how likely prison time would be for a first time offender? I'd be inclined to think that he would get a deferred sentence, probation, treatment, maybe some weekends in the workhouse, etc. On the other hand Texas has a reputation as a law-n-order state with lots of hang-em-high judges and this certainly is a serious charge he is facing.

When Pelissero says that there are no negotiations for a plea deal, that could also mean that the DA in Montgomery County isn't interested in giving one. I'm sure they saw all the flack that the DA in New Jersey got for giving Ray Rice a pre-trial diversion program.

Montgomery County Texas is 83.5% white and only 4.3% black. Peterson would have a better chance if this were being tried in Harris County instead of Montgomery County (or at least a better chance at getting a more racially diverse jury pool). Just as any other case, if it does go to trial it will be won or lost in jury selection. Setting aside any racial preferences, I would think the defense would want to stack the jury with as many older males with religious fundamentalist views as possible.

Those photos are going to be a huge problem for the defense at trial. And it will be a "celebrity trial" that will dominate the news cycle every day. Peterson is delusion if he thinks an acquittal will clear his name. It won't. Those photos are going to be on every cable news networks for days. Did anyone change their opinion of those LAPD officers who were on video beating the crap out of Rodney King after they were acquitted?