Emmersome Bigguns Is So Much More Disruptive Than Allen!

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Emmersome Bigguns Is So Much More Disruptive Than Allen!

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Where we hiding this guy! He had 3 tackles and so many hurries and hits and then back to back sacks against Jake Long.
That guy is a 4 time Pro-Bowler and Griffen made him look like a turn-style!

Talk about "addition by subtraction." The past two seasons, Allen lost a few steps and only got sacks against
no-namer guys or in garbage time. He didn't really do anything in the Bears game.

I'm much more excited about 40 million for 5 years out of Griffen than I would be with 50 million for 4 years of Allen.
Last edited by Hunter Morrow on Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Emmersome Bigguns Is So Much More Disruptive Than Allen!

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Hunter Morrow wrote:Where we hiding this guy! He had so many hurries and hits and then back to back sacks against Jake Long.
That guy is like 6 time Pro-Bowler and Griffen made him look like a turn style!

Talk about "addition by subtraction." The past two seasons, Allen lost a few steps and only got sacks against no namer guys or in garbage time.
He didn't really do anything in the Bears game.

I'm much more excited about 40 million for 5 years out of Griffen than I would be with 50 million for 4 years of Allen.
Couldn't agree more.

Allen was a complete non-factor for the Bears Sunday.

Watch Allen lose contain on this TD run by E.J. Manuel. He's not even blocked, yet he's nowhere near the play.

We are far better off with Griffen.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

Hunter Morrow wrote:Where we hiding this guy! He had so many hurries and hits and then back to back sacks against Jake Long.
That guy is like 6 time Pro-Bowler and Griffen made him look like a turn style!

Talk about "addition by subtraction." The past two seasons, Allen lost a few steps and only got sacks against no namer guys or in garbage time.
He didn't really do anything in the Bears game.

Ev Griff is such a G. High motor. Really, really strong. Fast as hell. He could be great I think. Not to mention next to Riiiiff and Linny , B rob holding down the other side, with Anthony Barr?? VICIOUS
Please just watch(04:39-05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s
This is a dog.
Compare that to this guy (00:46-01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s
"It's ok to hit the bag"
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Should have traded Allen earlier! :thumbsup:
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Demi wrote:Should have traded Allen earlier! :thumbsup:
Exactly. But when people said we should trade JA while the trading was good, said we wearnt fans. How dare we say trading JA was a good idea.

We are going to face the same thing with AD. Soon. Within 2 years. I hope Rickie is up for it. I think PH is about the only value trade he has made.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Purplemania wrote: I'm not sure about trading Allen. 2 years ago, he was coming off a 22 sack season. I still might've traded him because the team was struggling. Then last year his value plummeted. I don't think anyone wanted to trade for him at that point, not with his contract anyways. As for Peterson, yeah we'll have to eventually replace him, but I don't want to think about it. He is probably going to be the best/favorite Vikings ever of many fans, and until we get to that point, I'd rather not think about it. Plus we better have a suitable replacement. I think McKinnon is up for the job, but apparently fans were split down the middle on draft day.
We have already beaten that horse to death :?
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:The good news is that we should get a compensatory pick for both he and Kevin Williams so in a sense letting them walk was trading them....I'm not exactly sure how it works but considering they both played a ton of snaps for us and both signed with other teams, we should get some decent picks in return for them. Chris Cook also played a lot of snaps and got signed, is he still on the 49ers? Letroy Guion? Not sure if I'm on the right track with how this works or not, but anyway, a lot of our starters moved on to other teams and if we get picks for each one we should have the ammunition to have another great draft next year too.
The NFL keeps the exact rules for determining compensatory picks confidential but generally speaking, they're based on the salary, playing time and postseason honors of the free agents a team lost during the previous offseason. The maximum number of compensatory picks a team can receive is 4 and I think they only go to teams who signed fewer players than they lost to free agency. That doesn't include players who were cut or who were released after signing for just one year.

The Vikes made a lot of changes to their roster this offseason so I'm not sure where they stack up in terms of number of free agents lost vs. number of free agents signed.
tnvikesfan
Starter

Post by tnvikesfan »

The way the NFL figures compensatory picks looks to be worse than trucker math.

BTW, I really liked what I saw out of or D-line, hoping it's a sign of things to come. It's hard to watch the Vikes when the Front 4 are lacking - just not 'real' to me!
~Ginny~

A woman is only vulnerable while her nails are wet. Even then, she can pull the trigger if she needs to.
dkoby
All Pro Elite Player

Post by dkoby »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
Allen was a complete non-factor for the Bears Sunday.

Watch Allen lose contain on this TD run by E.J. Manuel. He's not even blocked, yet he's nowhere near the play.

We are far better off with Griffen.
Wow, completely undisciplined. Does no coach ever call this guy out in film study? We've been watching him do that for about 3 years now. You gotta think offenses are game planning for this. It's definitely a trend.
The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds,the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps.
Elenore Roosevelt. 1945
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dkoby wrote: Wow, completely undisciplined. Does no coach ever call this guy out in film study? We've been watching him do that for about 3 years now. You gotta think offenses are game planning for this. It's definitely a trend.
I think you guys are being a little hard on him for that play. He bought a fake that was well-designed and well-executed. That's going to happen sometimes. After all, that's why offenses run misdirection plays. When you watch the play, the alignment is clearly intended to draw the defense's focus to their left. Allen pretty obviously read the blockers and was moving inside toward where he thought the run was going. The whole point of the formation and the fake handoff was to draw defenders in the opposite direction of where the play was actually going. The Bills got Allen committed to going inside when the play was really going outside. By the time Allen realized Manuel was keeping it on a bootleg, there wasn't much he could do.

Yes, he didn't keep contain on the play but you can pick out a play like that and make any defender look bad. Admittedly, he had a pretty uneventful debut with the Bears but I hate to see Vikes fans just piling on a player who gave the Vikes a lot of good-to-great years.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

dkoby wrote: Wow, completely undisciplined. Does no coach ever call this guy out in film study? We've been watching him do that for about 3 years now. You gotta think offenses are game planning for this. It's definitely a trend.
Yeah, I had to laugh when Bears fans thought losing peppers but gaining allen was an improvement LOL!
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

mondry wrote: Yeah, I had to laugh when Bears fans thought losing peppers but gaining allen was an improvement LOL!
I know it is still early, but Julius Peppers looks done. He still has his burst, but his skill has diminished greatly. I think the same thing is happening to Jared Allen.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote: I think you guys are being a little hard on him for that play. He bought a fake that was well-designed and well-executed. That's going to happen sometimes. After all, that's why offenses run misdirection plays. When you watch the play, the alignment is clearly intended to draw the defense's focus to their left. Allen pretty obviously read the blockers and was moving inside toward where he thought the run was going. The whole point of the formation and the fake handoff was to draw defenders in the opposite direction of where the play was actually going. The Bills got Allen committed to going inside when the play was really going outside. By the time Allen realized Manuel was keeping it on a bootleg, there wasn't much he could do.

Yes, he didn't keep contain on the play but you can pick out a play like that and make any defender look bad. Admittedly, he had a pretty uneventful debut with the Bears but I hate to see Vikes fans just piling on a player who gave the Vikes a lot of good-to-great years.
Come on, Jim. I didn't say a word about his Vikings days, and I'd hardly call it piling on. I analyzed a play, period. I've always been a fan of his, one of his biggest supporters.

That being said, discipline was never his strong suit. He made a lot of huge plays for us, but he also was, at times, an easy mark for offensive coordinators looking to exploit his aggressiveness. Most of us, including me, were OK with it because he was an utterly spectacular pass rusher in his prime.

And I disagree with you totally about the play. It's a read-option, which isn't exactly a new thing. He's supposed to maintain his lane to prevent exactly what happened here. I'm far from the only one to point this out, and I'm certainly not the first. It's the kind of play you'd expect out of an us disciplined rookie, not a potential Hall of Famer. And by the way, I've watched the entire game ... this play was far from cherry picking. He stunk up Soldier Field. Call it a typical slow start, but facts are facts. He wasn't good.

In my opinion, the Vikings were right to part ways when they did. The timing was good. There were signs he was fading last year. He was a great player in his day. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but those days are in the rear view mirror.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
In my opinion, the Vikings were right to part ways when they did. The timing was good. There were signs he was fading last year. He was a great player in his day. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but those days are in the rear view mirror.
I agree for the most part about parting at the right time, but he's played pretty decent today. Great hit that forced a fumble, which is more than you can say about our line today. Even with the sacks last week, the Vikings line was pretty slow getting to the qb and we didn't do anything against NE mediocre line.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Griffen is disrupting a lot more plays then JA was. We waiting to long to pull the trigger on JA. Hopefully management learns from it.