Vikings: Grunt work pays off for Ellison

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Vikings: Grunt work pays off for Ellison

Post by dead_poet »

Rhet, Rhet, Rhet (said to the chant of Rudy)...Rhet is my new 'Sauce. I love Rhet.: http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... or-ellison
EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- The noise -- a mechanical ker-chunk as Rhett Ellison slams his shoulder into the blocking sled -- has occupied a familiar place in the soundtrack of Minnesota Vikings practices for the last three years. The tight end makes a significant part of his living off the inglorious task of blocking defenders, and either before or after practice, Ellison is often all alone on the field, going over the steps of his dance with the sled.

"If you're ever out here early to practice, you'll notice he's the first one out here -- all the time," tight ends coach Kevin Stefanski said. "I think that's not an accident. I think that's something that, he's very serious about doing the little things, working on his techniques. You can't fake that. That truly is him."
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mondry
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings: Grunt work pays off for Ellison

Post by mondry »

Nice, he was a big part of the success we've had using the jet sweep often having to lock out a DE which is no easy task for a TE. Seems all that hard work is paying off. I think it was Ellison but I remember when we drafted him he was out fishing and said he never expected to get a call. Good humble guy who works hard? Love it.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

mondry wrote:Nice, he was a big part of the success we've had using the jet sweep often having to lock out a DE which is no easy task for a TE. Seems all that hard work is paying off. I think it was Ellison but I remember when we drafted him he was out fishing and said he never expected to get a call. Good humble guy who works hard? Love it.
Yup, that was Ellison. Always nice to see a guy put in the work and reap the rewards.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:And so many people wanted him cut over the summer. lol.
And those that did want him cut failed to realized how much of an asset Rhet is in the running game. Rhet is one the best blocking TEs in the NFL. He also has deceptively good receiving ability.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.