Official: What reason does Ted get the start? thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Why does Teddy Bridgewater get the start over Matt Cassel?

Matt Plays himself out of the job
41%
Matt gets injured (Fingers crossed that he stays healthy)
18%
Zimmer decides Ted is ready, entering the 2015 season
30%
Matt keeps the job for the indefinite future
7%
Other
5%

Total votes: 44

84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Official: What reason does Ted get the start? thread

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

4th - Good, that's why I made it...

5th - Honestly I just wanted to see everyones opinion of how it goes down, since the general consensus is that Ted will eventually overtake Matt.. So is it not fair for me to wonder then, in which way, folks believe the scenario will present itself?

6th - I am pretty offended as a Viking. That anyone would believe that I would .......... Hope for defeat? ... For my team that I love.
Not only just doubtful, but indeed preposterous.

7th - I'll say it again clearly for the third time, I hope we go 16-0 under Matt Cassel. actually 19-0... kthx
Please just watch(04:39-05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s
This is a dog.
Compare that to this guy (00:46-01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s
"It's ok to hit the bag"
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

S197 just won the day!

And speaking of things that drive people crazy...kthx frustrates me way more than a sassy emoticon. To me, that is the epitome of "#### you".
Last edited by DK Sweets on Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

A rules reminder:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20204
This board uses a word filter list. Skirting the word filter list so that inapropriate language will show up is frowned upon and can result in your post being edited or deleted.
People are starting to break that rule too much. Please try to clean it up a little. We can all express ourselves (even strongly) without the profanity.

Thanks!
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Bro... Chill.

I am as big of a Teddy Bridgewater fan as anyone on this board (for example, I know Jim could attest to that statement) ,but let's be real - Cassel deserves to the be the starter. I am glad Cassel is the starter. Cassel played well last weekend for us. I hope we have continued success under Cassel as he is the best option for this team right now.

Teddy will get his chance. I will be very excited when he does. However, I refuse to wish ill on Minnesota and Matt Cassel just expedite Teddy Bridgewater's playing time in the NFL.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Bro... Chill.

I am as big of a Teddy Bridgewater fan as anyone on this board (for example, I know Jim could attest to that statement)

Indeed, I attest to that statement.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

28BreaksAnkles wrote:6th - I am pretty offended as a Viking. That anyone would believe that I would .......... Hope for defeat? ... For my team that I love.
Sorry ... believe it or not, my intent wasn't to offend you. But let's be clear. I didn't say I believe that you want the Vikings to lose. I ASKED if that's what you wanted, mainly because you bring up Teddy frequently. You've answered my question. Thank you.

The question is born out of reading message boards (not just this one, and not just Vikings boards) for a number of years. I'm a bit of a junkie. I've seen plenty of fans who want their guy to start, above all else. Often, they start these "who's with me?" or "throw the bum out" polls in an attempt to find likeminded people. So my original post ended up being a little more harsh than I would normally write. What can I say? I'm jaded.

The other thing here is the timing. We just won a huge game, our first road win in two years, a blowout when we were picked by nearly everyone to get blown out -- and you start this poll. I could see it if we'd lost, or if Matt had played poorly. But, hey, it's completely within your right, so I'll back off.

I have no particular love or hate for Matt Cassel. I think he did by far the best job of the three last year, and deserved to be the incumbent starter this year. I also believe Teddy has the potential to be a fine quarterback, even a top-5 quarterback. That being said, for the first time in years, I actually trust our coaching staff. We have one of the top offensive coordinators in the NFL in Norv Turner, as well as someone who I believe is going to prove to be a great coach in Mike Zimmer. So if they say it's Matt, it's Matt.

We good?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Mothman wrote:A rules reminder:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20204
People are starting to break that rule too much. Please try to clean it up a little. We can all express ourselves (even strongly) without the profanity.

Thanks!
My bad; I've edited my post.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

28BreaksAnkles wrote:4th - Good, that's why I made it...

5th - Honestly I just wanted to see everyones opinion of how it goes down, since the general consensus is that Ted will eventually overtake Matt.. So is it not fair for me to wonder then, in which way, folks believe the scenario will present itself?

6th - I am pretty offended as a Viking. That anyone would believe that I would .......... Hope for defeat? ... For my team that I love.

7th - I'll say it again clearly for the third time, I hope we go 16-0 under Matt Cassel. actually 19-0... kthx
I feel the same way. If Cassel or a fifty year old Favre could lead this team to a Super Bowl then I am all for it.
I just watched Cassel play so poorly at times last year that the team reached out to Freeman (pretty desperate) and then cut him at the end of the season and no one wanted him.
Time will tell and there is no indication, to me anyway, that he will, at best, be anything more than average QB. On the other hand I can see unlimited potential in TB that I am very impatient to see developed.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Mothman wrote:

Indeed, I attest to that statement.
Haha. I knew you would Jim.

All in all, I just want success. I can see us being a successful team with Cassel. Heck, if Cassel takes us the playoffs, I will be ecstatic. I know this really, really jumping the gun, but, if Cassel plays well enough, I wouldn't even be mad if he went into 2015 being our starter.

We will see what happens this year. I am just hoping for a fun season. Skol.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

I don't know if anyone remembers when Zimmer named Cassel the starter, but he pretty much said the job is his so long as he continues to play well. So there's your answer. If Cassel starts to stink, that's when you'll see Teddy. And as excited as I am to get the Teddy era started, I'm not excited enough to root for Cassel to stink. If Cassel takes us deep into the playoffs and looks good doing it, I'm even ok with him coming back to compete for the starting job next season.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/zimmer-n ... tarting-qb
In his first season as a head coach, Zimmer was asked if Cassel was his starter for the entire season or if there was a chance for Bridgewater to see time at some point in his rookie year.

"We will hold the quarterback position to the exact same expectations as we do every other position. If you perform, you play. If you don't perform, then the next guy will get an opportunity at some point. And when we decide to do that, we sit down and discuss it.

"That position, just like the outside linebacker spot, we have an expectation of performance and as long as those guys perform, they play."

DKSweets wrote:Did we need an "official" thread when we already have a Teddy thread...and about 8 other threads where this keeps coming up?
Hey at least it's not about Ponder am-I-right?
frosted21 wrote:Sorry I hate passive aggressiveness.
Fine, I'll just leave out the passive from now on and just go full aggressive xD.
28BreaksAnkles wrote:If you don't like the thread Click somewhere else.... It's pretty simple
Why waste time to post in a thread you claim is meaningless?
I gotta agree with this. You complainers do know the topic will go away sooner if you don't respond right? :confused: <---- fyi, the sassiest emoticon xD. Oh noes, I doomed it, I sowwy.
Mothman wrote:We can all express ourselves (even strongly) without the profanity.
Yeah if you want to sound like Ward Cleaver haha. Good golly garsh darnit, I'm so miffed at Adrian Peterson, well I ... I could just scream.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Welp. Season is down the drain, so might as well start Teddy now.
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

Can you add a "Cassel gets arrested" option to the poll?
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

Ok..... can I stop rooting for Matt Cassel noww???????????????
Please just watch(04:39-05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s
This is a dog.
Compare that to this guy (00:46-01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s
"It's ok to hit the bag"
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

28BreaksAnkles wrote:Ok..... can I stop rooting for Matt Cassel noww???????????????
Really? You would rather the Vikings lose to prove a point? Maybe wait until Teddy is announced as the starter, and then stop rooting for a Viking player.
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Really? You would rather the Vikings lose to prove a point? Maybe wait until Teddy is announced as the starter, and then stop rooting for a Viking player.
Unfortunately I think there are a lot of Viking supporters 'gloating' after today's loss. It's a sad state of affairs, but it seems like some people have been waiting for this slip up.

You know what though? The same thing happened last year. So I don't feel any worse for Cassel than I felt for Ponder. I just wish we could get things going in the right direction. It seems like the defense is much improved this season, and I hope as the season goes, the entire team continues to improve.

Skol Vikes!

P.S - If you were watching this game today, thinking "I told you so", shame on you.