Sugaring the A Gap—Zimmer's Pressure Du Jour

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Sugaring the A Gap—Zimmer's Pressure Du Jour

Post by dead_poet »

Fascinating in-depth read.

New head coach Mike Zimmer has been experimenting with pressure packages throughout the offseason and preseason, and in the first regular season game against the St. Louis Rams continued a strategy he's favored his entire career.

http://vikingsjournal.com/_/minnesota-v ... u-jour-r92
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Sugaring the A Gap—Zimmer's Pressure Du Jour

Post by Purple bruise »

dead_poet wrote:Fascinating in-depth read.

New head coach Mike Zimmer has been experimenting with pressure packages throughout the offseason and preseason, and in the first regular season game against the St. Louis Rams continued a strategy he's favored his entire career.

http://vikingsjournal.com/_/minnesota-v ... u-jour-r92
That was totally cool and very insightful, thank you for sharing DP :wink:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Here's another similar article from Bleacher report
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2193 ... -pass-rush
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

I read these breakdowns of plays and formations, and I can't help but be impressed. It just goes to show that the players aren't just going out there and ad-libbing their assignments. There is a lot of strategy involved from every position, which explains why some truly good athletes out of college fail in the NFL. They just can't mentally grasp the numerous responsibilities of their positions.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Thanks for the link. It was a good read.

I'm going to nitpick because Hasan did something in that piece that, at this point, has become a pet peeve of mine. I'm seeing both fans and sportswriters do it on an almost daily basis and when the latter do it, I think it perpetuates misinformation.

There's no doubt that Zimmer favors a more aggressive approach to defense than we've seen in the past few years, in no small part because he uses more man coverage. That said, near the beginning of the article, Hasan makes what at this point seems like an almost obligatory dig at the previous coaching staff...
Mike Zimmer is neither the kind of defensive coordinator to rely on the predictive playcalling of the previous regime, nor the kind of coordinator that relies on aggressive blitzing, like Houston, Arizona and Oakland did last year.
... and then ends with the article by writing:
Though the Vikings haven't done anything in this regard that hasn't been done hundreds of times in the NFL (Jim Johnson brought it into the fore in 1994), but it's a healthy addition to a defense that badly needed a shot in the arm.
However, it's not an addition to the defense. He's absolutely right to say the Vikings haven't done anything in this regard that hasn't been done hundreds of times in the NFL. In fact, Leslie Frazier and Alan Williams were doing it too. My mind immediately went to a great example in the Dallas game last year, when the Vikings "sugared the A gap" on a play late in the 4th quarter, ended up dropping Robison into coverage and the play resulted in an INT for Jefferson.

They did it again on the final Dallas scoring drive and actually sent a blitzer on that play but the rush was picked up and Romo completed a pass to Bryant for a big gain.

If I remember correctly, they did it again later on the same drive and forced Romo into throwing an incompletion on 1st and goal.

I apologize for bringing it up because that's probably someone else's pet peeve. :) I just think there's an ever-increasing mentality out there that ALL the previous staff ever did was send players out into a basic zone defense and play "prevent' at the end of games and there was much more going on than that.

Anyway, I really like the way Zimmer attempts to create confusion near the line and is willing to bring pressure from anywhere: safety, LB, CB... I think his aggressive approach will ultimately serve the Vikes well.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:I read these breakdowns of plays and formations, and I can't help but be impressed. It just goes to show that the players aren't just going out there and ad-libbing their assignments. There is a lot of strategy involved from every position, which explains why some truly good athletes out of college fail in the NFL. They just can't mentally grasp the numerous responsibilities of their positions.
Yes, there's clearly a lot to learn and a lot to remember when you're a member of an NFL offense. You can easily see how a player failing to understand his assignment can lead to blown opportunities, stalled drives, turnovers or even an injured QB.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Mothman wrote:I apologize for bringing it up because that's probably someone else's pet peeve. :) I just think there's an ever-increasing mentality out there that ALL the previous staff ever did was send players out into a basic zone defense and play "prevent' at the end of games and there was much more going on than that.
It would certainly be erroneous to say that the previous staff only sat in a cover shell, no one really does that but I think there is a lot of evidence that that scheme was blitz averse. I recall an article from last year that put the Vikings somewhere in the low 20's in terms of the amount that they blitz, which would put them in the bottom third. I believe it was the same article that pointed out that while they didn't blitz often, when they did, it was effective.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote: However, it's not an addition to the defense. He's absolutely right to say the Vikings haven't done anything in this regard that hasn't been done hundreds of times in the NFL. In fact, Leslie Frazier and Alan Williams were doing it too. My mind immediately went to a great example in the Dallas game last year, when the Vikings "sugared the A gap" on a play late in the 4th quarter, ended up dropping Robison into coverage and the play resulted in an INT for Jefferson.

They did it again on the final Dallas scoring drive and actually sent a blitzer on that play but the rush was picked up and Romo completed a pass to Bryant for a big gain.

If I remember correctly, they did it again later on the same drive and forced Romo into throwing an incompletion on 1st and goal.
I can understand your frustration with the first comment (even though I happen to agree with it). That was a direct shot at the previous staff and probably wasn't necessary. Or if it was, the author should have given some stats to back up the opinion.

But the second comment (quoted above)? I don't see the problem. This team DID need a shot in the arm. They gave up 480 points, 37 TD passes, and were 31st in the league in yards allowed. You can point to a few occasions where Frazier's regime tried to do the same things, but for whatever reason, they didn't work consistently -- or if they did, then why didn't the coaching staff stick with it? The bottom line is that the Vikings of '13 had a historically bad defense, and there's simply no denying it. Whether it was the fault of the players, the coaches, or some combination, it really doesn't matter. They didn't get the job done.

Look, I was rooting for Leslie Frazier to succeed as much as anyone. But it just didn't happen for the guy.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
MDviking
Starter

Post by MDviking »

Thanks for the link DP. I used to love reading Arif Hasan's in-depth (understatement) analyses on Daily Norseman.
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

It looks to me that the main differences in the 2 schemes are personnel on the D-line and how much more continually aggressive Zimmer is with the LBs and DBs.

Joeseph and Griffen already appear to be significant upgrades over KWill and JA. A healthy Smith with the addition of a true slot DB in Munnerlyn and the gifts of Barr produce much more opportunity to be aggressive.

I think most fans would argue that even with these new players Fraizer would still play conservatively. That seems to be the vibe here anyway.
I'm just glad the debate is speculative and that we seem to have a ball hawking aggressive defense that will only get more efficient and effective as the season rolls on....provided they stay healthy.

Edit to clarify: by main difference in schemes, I mean in their effectiveness.
Last edited by The Breeze on Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

The Breeze wrote:I think most fans would argue that even with these new players Fraizer would still play conservatively.
I don't know about that. I'm pretty sure if Frazier 'N Friends had this lineup the defense would be improved from a year ago. Now we're just speculating on degrees. Granted, it's my belief that the degree of improvement under Zimmer would likely be higher than Frazier but let's not forget that Frazier fielded some very good defensive units during his days as Minnesota's defensive coordinator.
I'm just glad the debate is speculative and that we seem to have a ball hawking aggressive defense that will only get more efficient and effective as the season rolls on....provided they stay healthy.
Staying healthy is HUGE, especially for this team with questionable depth at LB and DB. We may already have a game vs. Tom Brady without our top corner.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
The Breeze
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by The Breeze »

dead_poet wrote: I don't know about that. I'm pretty sure if Frazier 'N Friends had this lineup the defense would be improved from a year ago. Now we're just speculating on degrees. Granted, it's my belief that the degree of improvement under Zimmer would likely be higher than Frazier but let's not forget that Frazier fielded some very good defensive units during his days as Minnesota's defensive coordinator.
Yeah, I think Fraizer would be better with this crew too....I was just pointing out what seems the general air of the peeps here and in Minny's media.
This D was much different with Fat Pat and Winfield. This unit has guys of that ilk as well as the emergence of Barr and Rhodes...plus everyone is on the younger end of things.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:I can understand your frustration with the first comment (even though I happen to agree with it). That was a direct shot at the previous staff and probably wasn't necessary. Or if it was, the author should have given some stats to back up the opinion.
It probably wouldn't even bother me if such shots weren't ubiquitous these days.
But the second comment (quoted above)? I don't see the problem. This team DID need a shot in the arm.
I agree but the "shot in the arm" part isn't what bugged me. It was the implication that this strategy was an addition to the defense. It's deceptive and when combined with his comment that it's been done hundreds of times in the NFL, the idea that it's an addition reinforces a perception of the previous staff I consider unfair.
You can point to a few occasions where Frazier's regime tried to do the same things, but for whatever reason, they didn't work consistently -- or if they did, then why didn't the coaching staff stick with it? The bottom line is that the Vikings of '13 had a historically bad defense, and there's simply no denying it. Whether it was the fault of the players, the coaches, or some combination, it really doesn't matter. They didn't get the job done.

Look, I was rooting for Leslie Frazier to succeed as much as anyone. But it just didn't happen for the guy.
That's not the point. I'm just tired of all the misinformation and the petty digs. It was old months ago and it's even more tiresome now.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote:It would certainly be erroneous to say that the previous staff only sat in a cover shell, no one really does that but I think there is a lot of evidence that that scheme was blitz averse. I recall an article from last year that put the Vikings somewhere in the low 20's in terms of the amount that they blitz, which would put them in the bottom third. I believe it was the same article that pointed out that while they didn't blitz often, when they did, it was effective.
I recall that too and I wouldn't argue with it. I just think it was misleading of Hasan to refer to a widely used defensive strategy as if it's a new addition to the defense, implying that the previous staff didn't even use something as simple and potentially effective as putting 6+ men on the line and threatening blitz to create uncertainty in the offense.
MDviking
Starter

Post by MDviking »

Mike Zimmer is neither the kind of defensive coordinator to rely on the predictive playcalling of the previous regime, nor the kind of coordinator that relies on aggressive blitzing, like Houston, Arizona and Oakland did last year.
I'm not sure why you took such offense to this line, Jim. Predictability was an issue with last year's defense, straight from the source:
“Sometimes we’d line up and Aaron Rodgers is calling out our defense as we’re lining up,” defensive end Brian Robison said.
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/09/03/heyd ... 2-defense/

I don't think it's meant to imply that Frazier's defense was completely worthless or that he was an abject failure from start to finish. I'd call it less of a dig and more of what a lot of people, including some players, were thinking.