I believe the Vikings are a playoff caliber team

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Vikings are a playoff caliber team

I'm in. The Vikings are for real.
36%
They're on the way there but not quite yet.
45%
Not yet.
9%
Not even close.
9%

Total votes: 53

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: I believe the Vikings are a playoff caliber team

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

We aernt there yet. But getting close, showing progression is a great start. It looks like we are going to get a name for our D again, and I couldn't be happier. By the time our new stadium is built, I think we will be a playoff caliber team, and perhaps more.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I voted "They're on the way there but not quite yet:. A blowout win is definitely an encouraging start! If the Lions lose tomorrow, the Vikes will have sole possession of first place in the division. :)
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

I had a tough time picking any of the options, because the "this week was encouraging, and I think this team could be a playoff team. But it's a long season and one game isn't the greatest barometer of longevity in the win column".

I went with I am a believer because I truly believe this team has the right mix of talent and coaching to make a splash. And I think we're probably only scratching the surface of what this team will be able to do in a year or two.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

wow, one win against the rams with backup QBs and some of you have us in the playoffs already. If we are undefeated at week six you'll have my attention, silly to say you are a playoff team until you beat a few and the rams are not one
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Not going to answer.

My answer is, "Ask me in six weeks." It's far too early. They might be playoff caliber, but there's no way to say now.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Orion
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Orion »

If we rout New England, we're definitely a playoff caliber team.
Last edited by Orion on Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat.
purplereign1
Rookie

Post by purplereign1 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Not going to answer.

My answer is, "Ask me in six weeks." It's far too early. They might be playoff caliber, but there's no way to say now.
At least we know there is hope. This year feels different somehow. :v): :v):
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I'm not there yet, but I have been on board all season with us being highly underrated. Today was proof of that. We still didn't get any play on the national shows, bet FOX feels real smart putting that Cowboy game on as the "game of the week", what a joke that was.

I think the biggest things is the fact we blew out St. Louis. We should blow out a team like that, even on the road, if we are a 10+ win caliber team. Margin of victory is a big thing, IMO, today wasn't a luck win, we were the better team and we played like at. That hasn't been happening with hte Vikings for a LONG time.

That being said, we beat up on a team with a back up QB, so while I really want to get excited about all the great stuff we saw in the secondary, my gut is saying, wait until we do it again an NFCN opponent. So, that is where I'm at.

I though the most impressive on field thing was racking up the rushing yardage we did against an elite front 7. They were probaby the best Front 7 we'll see all season, so that bodes well for us.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Fran the Man
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Fran the Man »

I'll go with what I said a week ago;
"I think we vastly improved our defense this season and our offense isn't far behind.
This is a totally different team from years past and I look forward to quite a few wins this year, including our first game; 28-17 Vikings."
Don't pick a fight with an old Viking. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

808vikingsfan wrote: Another thing that was impressive was the protection (or maybe the gameplan?). I really thought Cassel was going to be running for his life. How many sacks did the offense allow? I can only think of one.

there were two, both on botched snaps I believe
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

I believe the question was playoff caliber, not Super Bowl caliber. 9-7 is playoff caliber and I think that's right where we're at right now. Are you kidding me? Our defense is playing lights out, they have since week 1 of preseason, and we have a ton of talent on offense. It's plain silly and borderline denial to think we're not playoff caliber at this point. We could be 8-0 and some of you would still sit on the fence and make excuses. Do they award cool points for sitting on the fence these days? This team is legit, right now. Just ask yourself 1 question, do you believe this team can beat New England on Sunday? I thought so. Even you fence sitters think we have a shot to beat em. And if not, I'm curious to know what 6 NFC teams we have no shot at beating? Good luck.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I think we could win the division after watching the Packers in Seattle.

They still have trouble tackling people. Both of their lines look weak Defensive and Offensive.

Rodgers is the only reason they are not a bottom feeder team.

The Bears are old and Cutler is not as good as people think..

The lions always self destruct

and we play the weak AFC east this year...

The only problem is at some point you run into Seattle of the Niners in the NFC ... and we are not there
yet. Its a whole lot better outlook than with Frazier though
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Where's the "Too soon to tell" option?
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:Where's the "Too soon to tell" option?
I chose to interpret "They're on the way there but not quite yet" as the equivalent to that option. I figured 1-0 = "They're on the way" but with 15 games to go... "not quite yet". :)
84BreaksAnkles
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 84BreaksAnkles »

You have to understand as Viking's fans - purely as a defense mechanism, We have learned to temper our hopes and expectations immediately upon feeling such excitement. No matter how promising, we have learned to do this due to protect our own hearts from getting viciously and brutally ripped from our chests by Brad Childress's 12-man-on-the-field. Like Gary Anderson's only missed FG that year, Like 41-0....
So that is the filter you have to use when truly analyzing our posts here..
That said.. I'm excited as I've ever been.
11-5 Division Champs wouldn't cause my world to get flipped upside down in awe and dismay and wonder and amazement.
Spielman's done well the last few years, arguably as well as anyone - and our coaches rock :rock:
We have playmakers and studs on D

Just waiting on Teddy's graceful entrance...
Please just watch(04:39-05:18):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXCuSyj18M&t=4m39s
This is a dog.
Compare that to this guy (00:46-01:01):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar3ioQywcAc&t=0m45s
"It's ok to hit the bag"