Vikings @ Rams Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 1

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

tmscr
Transition Player

Re: Vikings @ Rams Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 1

Post by tmscr »

You have to feel for the ram fans out there. That's about as bad a start as you could have to the season. Very tough to lose your qb a few weeks before the first game and not really have a good backup plan.

All of that being said, there were some very encouraging signs today. Obviously the defense; swarming all over and making beautiful FORM TACKLES. Strongest defensive performance I've seen in quite some time. Loved the pressure they had all day.

A few negatives. Far too many penalties. I'm sure some of it is first week stuff, but they cost themselves field position especially in the first half with silly penalties. Maybe as a result of those penalties, I felt the offense was a little too conservative from about the second drive of the game until the second half. We had first and 20 and ran 3 times. I thought they kind of gave up and played it safe a little too much early on. The rams had a few nice gains negated by their own penalties. Can't count on that from better opponents.

Oh and Jeff Locke was wonderful today. As was Blair.
PotGoblin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by PotGoblin »

tmscr wrote:You have to feel for the ram fans out there. That's about as bad a start as you could have to the season. Very tough to lose your qb a few weeks before the first game and not really have a good backup plan.
I hear we have a 3rd string QB they could use ...
Purple Pride till the end.
headless_norseman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by headless_norseman »

GBFavreFan wrote: Keep in mind the Rams were favored to win this game, so its not like we beat the worst team in the NFL.

So many close games today, exept for the Vikes road win. That IS something.
A successful coach needs a patient wife, loyal dog, and great quarterback - and not necessarily in that order.

-- Bud Grant
saint33
All Pro Elite Player

Post by saint33 »

maembe wrote:What a game!
- That one guy is right, Greenway just isn't very good
wait what, is this sarcasm or serious? I thought Greenway played a solid game? :confused:
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Funkytown wrote:Image

Loved that~
PotGoblin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by PotGoblin »

Cowboys scored a TD so we still are still the leading contender for blowout of the week
Purple Pride till the end.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Unfortunately I didn't get to see the game and I don't hear a whole lot being said about Cassel. 113.8 passer rating, no turnovers, and only one sack. Sounds like he had a pretty good outing to me. Can't wait to see the replay, glad Barr had a good game too.
MountainGirl
Rookie

Post by MountainGirl »

I knew Coach Zimmer would turn around this defense. Great job!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

S197 wrote:Unfortunately I didn't get to see the game and I don't hear a whole lot being said about Cassel. 113.8 passer rating, no turnovers, and only one sack. Sounds like he had a pretty good outing to me. Can't wait to see the replay, glad Barr had a good game too.

Wow. I'm surprised his rating was that high. To the eye, he looked OK, but nothing special. Most importantly, he didn't turn the ball over. He looked a bit jittery or out of synch in the first half until the first TD drive just before half, got better in the 2nd.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

MountainGirl wrote:I knew Coach Zimmer would turn around this defense. Great job!
With three games left to be played, the Vikings so far are the only defense that has not allowed a TD.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

S197 wrote:Unfortunately I didn't get to see the game and I don't hear a whole lot being said about Cassel. 113.8 passer rating, no turnovers, and only one sack. Sounds like he had a pretty good outing to me. Can't wait to see the replay, glad Barr had a good game too.
Passer rating is pretty much just TD to INT ratio. It's not a very telling statistic. He didn't do much other than protect the football and didn't have to. It was definitely a solid, mistake-free outing, but we didn't really have any spectacular plays through the air. In fact, we had more rushing yards than passing yards. It kind of reminded me of the last few games of the 2012 season, where the defense was excellent, we rushed for a whole bunch of yards, and He Who Must Not Be Named was unspectacular but completed a higher percentage of his passes and didn't make any mistakes.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Texas Vike wrote:
Wow. I'm surprised his rating was that high. To the eye, he looked OK, but nothing special. Most importantly, he didn't turn the ball over. He looked a bit jittery or out of synch in the first half until the first TD drive just before half, got better in the 2nd.
Having Quinn in your face will do that. :D

Plus he dealt with a lot of stupid Oline penalties. I thought he looked good after our coaches made the halftime adjustments. Its so nice to have some coaches on this team that know what they are doing.
Mridens
Backup

Post by Mridens »

backup QB leads Carolina to 20 points and a win over Tampa in DC Leslie Frazier's debut. :lol:

Backup qb leads two FG drives in Zimmer's HC debut. :rock:
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

So very impressed with this team today.

The play calling was conservative in an effort to slow down the Rams' pass rush. Guess what? It worked. Cassel was sacked one time.

Cordarrelle Patterson is just an unreal talent. It is just sad that it took so long for us to use him last year. I cannot wait to see him destroy defenses this year.

Cassel was very efficient today. If he can play like that consistently, there should be no reason why we cannot be in playoff contention this year.

Peterson seemed to be looking for the big play today. His patience was tested. Still, I am not too concerned about his performance today.

Defense was absolutely great today. I have no complaints.

Game balls: Cassell, Patterson, Harrison, Griffen, Joseph, Jennings, Matt Kalil (despite his two penalties), Zimmer, Norv.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mridens wrote:backup QB leads Carolina to 20 points and a win over Tampa in DC Leslie Frazier's debut. :lol:

Backup qb leads two FG drives in Zimmer's HC debut. :rock:
Lol, funny...
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018