Who would you start in Week 1?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Poll ended at Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:28 am

Matt Cassel
88%
Teddy Bridgewater
13%

Total votes: 56

DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Re: Who would you start in Week 1?

Post by DK Sweets »

Cassel. Definitely Cassel.

Aaron Rodgers had a chance his rookie season to focus on his throwing mechanics and to just absorb the offense. He isn't the norm, but the similarities between a possible first overall pick sliding to the bottom of the round can be made. Teddy has a chance to watch and learn. He has a chance to add bulk. He has a chance to learn his teammates' tendencies without being thrown to the wolves.

Cassel has shown he at least deserves a chance, and we could end up creating decent trade value for him by letting him audition. I see no downside to the situation.
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

No point in waiting and delaying Teddy's development. I don't think Cassel is all of the sudden going to become a good quarterback and Teddy may very well be better than him already. I get that Cassell has put together two solid preseason games, but for me that doesn't erase the last several years of subpar quarterback play, especially considering that fact that we don't really have any additions on offense that would potentially make a significant difference from last year.
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

Cassel deserves a chance after being treated like a dirtball last year and after how he has performed this year, and Teddy isn't going anywhere. Plus Teddy has had one good half against backups, so why am I even being asked this question??? Hold the horses.

Short of 3+ straight games of truly pitiful (not just Ponderous) performance by Bad Matt I would start Cassel all year. The odds say Teddy will not be harmed and is likely only to be better for it. Win-win. And I think Cassel will take us to the playoffs. :rock:
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Ha, to be honest, I think this poll could have waited until Sunday to be posted! :wink: (It's a joke, not a shot).

Anyway, unless Cassel goes out and just #### the bed on Saturday against Kansas City, he should be the starter. I am as big of proponent of Teddy Bridgewater as anyone, but even I realize that Cassel has shown he deserves to be the opening day starter.

It is funny, a couple of off seasons ago, I was very vocal about not wanting Cassel on this team. It is funny how my opinion changed: I wanted the guy on the field a lot last year (I was also rooting a lot for Freeman). Conversely, I have been hyping Teddy up well before the draft, and while I am a big fan, I am still glad we are going to let him sit.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Cassel. There's no need to rush the process with Teddy.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

maembe wrote:No point in waiting and delaying Teddy's development. I don't think Cassel is all of the sudden going to become a good quarterback and Teddy may very well be better than him already. I get that Cassell has put together two solid preseason games, but for me that doesn't erase the last several years of subpar quarterback play, especially considering that fact that we don't really have any additions on offense that would potentially make a significant difference from last year.
Being thrown into the fire isn't the only way to develop a quarterback. In fact, there are tons of examples of how that method can be counterproductive.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Webbfann wrote:Cassel deserves a chance after being treated like a dirtball last year and after how he has performed this year, and Teddy isn't going anywhere. Plus Teddy has had one good half against backups, so why am I even being asked this question??? Hold the horses.

Short of 3+ straight games of truly pitiful (not just Ponderous) performance by Bad Matt I would start Cassel all year. The odds say Teddy will not be harmed and is likely only to be better for it. Win-win. And I think Cassel will take us to the playoffs. :rock:

I think Cassel should start in week one too but not because of anything that happened last year. That's irrelevant to what needs to happen this year. I certainly don't think the Vikings ever treated him like a dirtball. He signed with the understanding that he would be the backup and dutifully played that role, with varying results, until they eventually elected to start him for the remainder of the season.
oldskoolvikingfan
Starter

Post by oldskoolvikingfan »

Cassel. Even though i think that teddy could start week 1, Id much rather go with Cassel so that Teddy has more time to learn the system. However I would like to see Teddy play some this season such as if we are winning big just so that he can get used to an actual NFL game and get some experience even though it might not be much. :lol:
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote:
I think Cassel should start in week one too but not because of anything that happened last year. That's irrelevant to what needs to happen this year. I certainly don't think the Vikings ever treated him like a dirtball. He signed with the understanding that he would be the backup and dutifully played that role, with varying results, until they eventually elected to start him for the remainder of the season.

Well said. This is exactly how I feel. I'd add that I think Cassel gives us the best chance at winning the opener. At some point, perhaps that will no longer be true, but for now, Cassel is our best option.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Cassel. Teddy will be a better QB by not starting and sitting the bench. I think Cassel will have one of his best years.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
indianation65
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by indianation65 »

Is the "poll cat" back in action? This is the easiest one yet!

...wisdom
...spirits in the wind and the trees
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

GBFavreFan wrote: That's why you can change your vote anytime in August. And your second paragraph is why. Our opinions of these two could change if, like you say, Cassel would play awful and Teddy would shine. Would show some trajectories that might influence who we would want.

And emotionally, yes Cassel certainly deserves a fair shot after being jerked around last year by Frazier willy nilly.
Emotionally?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

frosted21 wrote: Emotionally?

yeah, really. These are professionals, right? You should be able to jerk them around any which way you want without any effect on their emotions, confidence, or performance. They are cogs in a wheel, not humans. :wallbang:
frosted
Career Elite Player

Post by frosted »

Webbfann wrote:
yeah, really. These are professionals, right? You should be able to jerk them around any which way you want without any effect on their emotions, confidence, or performance. They are cogs in a wheel, not humans. :wallbang:
Sorry, I guess I struck a nerve? I'm glad you're looking out for your boy Matt, but I didn't say any of what you just implied that I meant. If Cassel's feelings were hurt by last season, I hate to think how he felt when the Chief's fans cheered for the concussion that knocked him out of his final game in KC. That's something that could mess with a guy's psyche. I guess what I am trying to say is, I think Matt will be OK. He's a grown man. Can't wait to see what he can do for us this year.

Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

Sorry if I misread you but you seemed confused about emotions. :wink: