Vikings kicker Blair Walsh shakes off preseason slump

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Vikings kicker Blair Walsh shakes off preseason slump

Post by Mothman »

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 76691.html
Was there any doubt Blair Walsh had enough leg when his right cleat boomed a 51-yard field-goal try Saturday night?

Just ask his good buddy — the left goalpost.

End over end, the kick tumbled through the air toward the uprights, thudding off the top half of the left goalpost before falling flat into the end zone.

“That’s always frustrating when it hits the post, because the post is your friend,” Walsh said.

After successfully hitting 12 consecutive field-goal attempts from 50 yards or more to start his career — including an NFL-record 10 in a row as a rookie — Walsh has missed the mark from way downtown. Last season’s trend has carried over into this preseason, but he insists the frustration he feels right now is minimal.
More at the link.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Vikings kicker Blair Walsh shakes off preseason slump

Post by PurpleMustReign »

He also missed an extra point last game. I am growing concerned that he is a one year wonder...
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleMustReign wrote:He also missed an extra point last game. I am growing concerned that he is a one year wonder...
I'm not worried at this point. Missing from 50 yards out is going to happen. That's a tough kick and he was inches away from making that last one.

All kickers miss some of the long ones and occasionally, they miss a short field goal or extra point too. He'll probably be fine.
UltraNasty850
Backup

Post by UltraNasty850 »

I wouldn't worry at this point. From what I hear, the hold was bad on the missed 51 yarder. Can't explain the extra point, but you'd have to think something went wrong. Even bad kickers can nail 35 yarders all day long.
Twitter - @Andy_FA_

Bleed Purple
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Both games have been at TCF and outdoors so I think the wind / outdoor difference from a dome might be having more effect than we had hoped. On the other hand he didn't end last year that well either so who knows. At this point I'm not drafting him in fantasy like I did last year.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

I might be more concerned if Walsh didn't have such an outstanding rookie season. He's already proven that he can get the job done.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

An overlooked part of the equation is that Kluwe was a very good holder. Locke might still be working through his new responsibility. Then again, it might just be Walsh's inconsistency.