Should Patterson be the primary kickoff returner?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Should Cordarrelle Patterson be the Vikings primary kickoff returner in 2014?

Yes
80%
No
20%

Total votes: 46

PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Should Patterson be the primary kickoff returner?

Post by PurpleHalo »

I'm torn on this issue, because I believe Percy got worn down from too much work. But on the other hand he might be the best there is as a returner. Last year was one thing, he was not a starter until later in the year. This year he will be running as the number 1 WR, and fatigue absolutely can cause injury. Adrian was a great returner too, but they only used him in spots, as I agree with Bercich that is how they should use CP84.
This space available for rent.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Someone claiming "injury risk" please show me real stats that show kick returners get injured more than regular players. Then i will listen to that silly argument.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Someone claiming "injury risk" please show me real stats that show kick returners get injured more than regular players. Then i will listen to that silly argument.
On the field
On the sideline
I don't know about you, but it's pretty clear to me which has a higher "injury risk".
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

PurpleMustReign wrote:Someone claiming "injury risk" please show me real stats that show kick returners get injured more than regular players. Then i will listen to that silly argument.
We aren't talking about a kick returner, we are talking about a kick returner and a starter on offense. The claim from me is not that he will get physically hurt in the act of returning kicks, my premise is that too much workload causes fatigue and subsequently leads to being dinged up. There is a reason teams normally don't let running backs go to 400 carries, it hurts the body. I know that is apples to oranges as far as position goes, but the more a player touches the ball the more it all adds up.
Last edited by PurpleHalo on Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

Purple Jesus wrote:Not any different than how we used Percy. He was the biggest part of our offense outside of AD and we used him. He was our best and one of the best KR's in the league. And he did well as both KR and our #1b option on offense. Cordarelle is/can be that same guy as well. Keep him there. As a KR he is elite.
And how did things turn out with Percy injury wise?

If it was so great to be a dual player, why isn't AJ Green and Dez Bryant doing it?
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

PurpleHalo wrote: And how did things turn out with Percy injury wise?

If it was so great to be a dual player, why isn't AJ Green and Dez Bryant doing it?
Patterson has what, 6 TDs in his career? I think its a bit early to pronounce him elite or indispensable, although he shows that kind of potential. I say keep him returning kicks until he proves he is elite, then you have a decision to make. But for now its not a decision we need to make.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Yes.

Cordarrelle Patterson was the NFL's first-team All-Pro kick returner last season. The guy is too dynamic to not place on the kick off return team. With the way kickoffs are nowadays, the guy might as well be out there.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

PurpleHalo wrote: And how did things turn out with Percy injury wise?

Neither player provide as much value on returns as Patterson. Both provide more value as a receiver than Patterson. Second point aside, they would both be returning kicks if they were as good at it as Patterson.
tnvikesfan
Starter

Post by tnvikesfan »

I vote no, but that is because McKinnon and Thielen are available to do that duty and seem to have done it well so far in preseason. I would rather CP84 concentrate on his WR duties, perfecting routes, difficult catches, that kind of thing, than split his time.

Of course, all players need to be used where they are best for the team, and I do understand that. I also believe that CP84 is a good deterrent for other teams trying to pin us behind the 20 and just having him there really gives the other guys work.

So, as long as the injury threat does not negate the return threat, I'll deal. But let him get hurt returning a kick and off I'll go!
~Ginny~

A woman is only vulnerable while her nails are wet. Even then, she can pull the trigger if she needs to.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

tnvikesfan wrote:I would rather CP84 concentrate on his WR duties, perfecting routes, difficult catches, that kind of thing, than split his time.
I'm going to address this, because I see it popping up. Correct me if I'm wrong, but typically there are special teams practices that occur before and/or after team periods and individual drills, correct? Meaning, Patterson wouldn't be missing any time with his position group or with the team by also participating in special teams practices. I don't think he'd be in special teams meetings while his teammates were running routes.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Absolutely. If the Vikings have a big lead or are completely out of the game, then maybe not. Right now the return value of him returning kicks is just too high and he likes doing it. If he wasn't so good at it, then I'd consider not having him do it, but I believe he is better than Harvin was on KO returns.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

I want him back there, partly just for the aforementioned fear factor, with tons of squib kicks giving us good field position.

For me, the point of worrying about injury is whether he has more of a chance being injured on a kick return than a reception. We want the guy to get more touches, right? I guess the question is whether we get value out of the extra (say) ten yards per kick return in comparison to an average reception. Does a receiver take worse hits on a kickoff, or running a crossing route?

And, as a final comment, we probably could stand to have someone else take the 16 halftime kickoffs the Vikings will receive this year, being that Zimmer's guys are planning on 16 consecutive shutouts.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

John_Viveiros wrote: And, as a final comment, we probably could stand to have someone else take the 16 halftime kickoffs the Vikings will receive this year, being that Zimmer's guys are planning on 16 consecutive shutouts.
I'll drink to that!
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

John_Viveiros wrote:And, as a final comment, we probably could stand to have someone else take the 16 halftime kickoffs the Vikings will receive this year, being that Zimmer's guys are planning on 16 consecutive shutouts.
What?? Someone explain.
Mercy Percy
Franchise Player

Post by Mercy Percy »

I think he should in certain situations like what we did with Percy.
The term fan comes from FANatic or fanatical.