QB controversies, good or bad?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Re: QB controversies, good or bad?

Post by DK Sweets »

Raptorman wrote:QB controversies are media events invented by the media for the media to generate traffic/sales of said media. I guarantee that no team thinks they have ever had a QB controversy on their hands.
So you're saying no team has EVER had a locker room torn between two QBs?
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

DKSweets wrote:So you're saying no team has EVER had a locker room torn between two QBs?
Not what I am saying. Key word in my statement. "Thinks" Take Green Bay and the whole Favre/Rodgers fiasco. Green Bay didn't think they had a problem. Rodgers was the starter. That was the decision that was made and that was the decision they stuck to. To fans and the press it was a fiasco, to the Packer origination it was an issue that had to be dealt with and was.

If a team has a split in the locker room, that is all on the coaches. The media has a tendency to blow things out of proportion and will do it whenever they can. I am grateful for the Browns because they have really kept the spotlight off of Cassel/Bridgewater. I would give 10-1 odds Cassel will be named the starter by next Monday at the latest.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

Texas Vike wrote:
Communicating with the media is a game of impression management and revealing only what's in your team's interest to reveal. I don't mean to depict the process as some kind of spy thriller or secrets of state type situation, but you can bet that there's plenty of the same control of information going on.
Yup. I believe what I see, not what I hear. Zimmer could be powdering Ponder's nose for a trade just as easily as he could be serious. He's being diplomatic, that's all we know for sure.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

indianation65 wrote:Controversies - not good
Competition - great!

...wisdom
Minnesota's situation is the latter.

/thread
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

808vikingsfan wrote: The Vikings suffered through an embarrasing QB controversy last year and I don't think the media had much to do with it.
There was no controversy. Cassel was hired to be the backup. :lol:
indianation65
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by indianation65 »

Hmm, now that I put more thought into it, every training camp "should" be the beginning of competition for every single position, even for your veteran stars! If coaches worry that "stars" have too much ego, and will be annoyed with the thought of having to truly compete for his recurring position, then a reminder should be made of when each and every player first walked into the Vikings office. That should be...no position, no player is guaranteed a starting position this/each season. Even if a Super Bowl was won, a player should know that his backup, and his backup's backup want to start. Therefore, every season everyone has to earn his spot. If a player begins his career with the Vikings with this front office meeting, he will know it, learn it, expect it and respect it. It's the way it should be. Besides, it will be very hard for a veteran star to be beat out of his position. If he is, then congratulations to the new starter, and the team will then have the best backup in the league!

...wisdom!
...spirits in the wind and the trees
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

indianation65 wrote:Hmm, now that I put more thought into it, every training camp "should" be the beginning of competition for every single position, even for your veteran stars! If coaches worry that "stars" have too much ego, and will be annoyed with the thought of having to truly compete for his recurring position, then a reminder should be made of when each and every player first walked into the Vikings office. That should be...no position, no player is guaranteed a starting position this/each season. Even if a Super Bowl was won, a player should know that his backup, and his backup's backup want to start. Therefore, every season everyone has to earn his spot. If a player begins his career with the Vikings with this front office meeting, he will know it, learn it, expect it and respect it. It's the way it should be. Besides, it will be very hard for a veteran star to be beat out of his position. If he is, then congratulations to the new starter, and the team will then have the best backup in the league!

...wisdom!
I think to some degree that's the way it is. I recall Zimmer saying when he first got here every position other than RB is up for grabs. The truth is under the new agreement there simply isn't enough snaps to give everyone an equal look. You need to set some sort of depth chart (even if it's in flux) in order to remain efficient. The guys at the bottom just have to make each snap count all the more.
Purpnation
Franchise Player

Post by Purpnation »

GBFavreFan wrote: I'm curious to what you base your idea of anointing starters without competition on? Aaron Rodgers (after Favre obviously), Matt Stafford, Jay Cutler, Matt Ryan, RG3, Peyton Manning, Phillip Rivers (after Brees), and Andy Dalton were all basically anointed the starters by the teams that drafted them. And note this isn't the entire NFL, which is my point. you can't use a stubborn rule to decide how to name your QB, it is situational depending on who you have on the roster.

Stubborn rules are idiots like the Jaguars who proclaimed that Blake Bortles would sit a year, and now he's playing well in preseason (funny how we all knew he would, yet the team that drafted him is surprised) they are beginning to waiver on that idea.

As for Zimmer, its not so much that he refuses to anoint anybody, but the situation is we have a rookie QB, but also a capable veteran guy, so there is no clear cut guy. If it was Teddy and Ponder, then he probably would've proclaimed Teddy the starter. Zimmer is just being honest in talking about it, but also doing the right thing for the team.

Research my brotha.. Research. The Packers drafted a QB in the 2nd round Rodgers first year starting and Matt Ryan had to beat out Chris Redman, neither were anointed.
Last edited by Purpnation on Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Purpnation
Franchise Player

Post by Purpnation »

GBFavreFan wrote:There are folks that feel QB controversies are bad and should be avoided, and when coaches claim they love to be in those positions it is met with skepticism. I believe it depends on the situation as there are good QB controversies and there are bad ones. There are two going on in the NFL right now, which are perfect examples of this idea.

On one hand you have Matt Cassel and Teddy Bridgewater. At least since the Cardinals game, you have two very strong QBs. This really is a situation that is good to be in, because you have two good choices, just like with Kaepernick and Alex Smith a couple years back, wherein either guy you choose will likely turn out well. On the other hand, you have the Cleveland Browns with Brian Hoyer and Johnny Manziel. Two palookas who could barely complete a pass in 3 quarters of a preseason game! The problem with this QB controversy is both guys are playing like Donovan McNabb in 2011. So whichever guy Cleveland picks is going to have high negatives and a high risk factor, and a lot of second guessing and a lot of checks in the loss column.

I am quite happy the Vikings are in this situation and I have ZERO sympathy for the Browns who had complete control over their destiny in this situation as they had Norv Turner on the payroll and Teddy Bridgewater on the draft board at #26 and passed on both for the offensive mess that is the 2014 Cleveland Browns! Good for us bad for them!!!

LOL dude you are one hell of a homer, I love the optimism, I really do, but I love how you try to spin the Browns situation as so much worse then ours, all things considered, Manziel outplayed Bridgewater in the first 2 preseason games, I'm not saying that means much at all but you are acting as if Bridgewater water has been superior to Manziel thus far, and he simply hasn't been.
Purpnation
Franchise Player

Post by Purpnation »

Raptorman wrote: Not what I am saying. Key word in my statement. "Thinks" Take Green Bay and the whole Favre/Rodgers fiasco. Green Bay didn't think they had a problem. Rodgers was the starter. That was the decision that was made and that was the decision they stuck to. To fans and the press it was a fiasco, to the Packer origination it was an issue that had to be dealt with and was.

If a team has a split in the locker room, that is all on the coaches. The media has a tendency to blow things out of proportion and will do it whenever they can. I am grateful for the Browns because they have really kept the spotlight off of Cassel/Bridgewater. I would give 10-1 odds Cassel will be named the starter by next Monday at the latest.

I don't think the GB situation is a fair comparison, yes that was a fiasco, but never once was their an open competition between Rodgers and Favre, so I don't think it can be considered a QB controversy.
Mercy Percy
Franchise Player

Post by Mercy Percy »

Purpnation wrote:
LOL dude you are one hell of a homer, I love the optimism, I really do, but I love how you try to spin the Browns situation as so much worse then ours, all things considered, Manziel outplayed Bridgewater in the first 2 preseason games, I'm not saying that means much at all but you are acting as if Bridgewater water has been superior to Manziel thus far, and he simply hasn't been.
Bridgewater has definitely out performed Manziel up to this point and if you deny that youre blind tbh, Didnt see Manziel lead his team down the field with 1:00 left on the clock, I dont even think hes completed 50% of his passes, come on man
The term fan comes from FANatic or fanatical.
Dirtyswabby
Starter

Post by Dirtyswabby »

Purpnation wrote:
Umm Manziel has only played 2 Preseason games as well as Bridgewater. If you think that Bridgewater hasn't out performed Manziel, then you haven't been watching the same games.

C/ATT YDS AVG TD INT SACKS RTG
T. Bridgewater 16/20 177 8.9 2 0 1-8 136.9

J. Manziel 7/16 65 4.1 1 0 3-7 76.3

this isn't even counting the amount of flags negated incompletions for Manziel
Representing the Vikings In Raleigh, NC
akvikingsfan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by akvikingsfan »

Dirtyswabby wrote: Umm Manziel has only played 2 Preseason games as well as Bridgewater. If you think that Bridgewater hasn't out performed Manziel, then you haven't been watching the same games.

T. Bridgewater 16/20 177 8.9 2 0 1-8 136.9

J. Manziel 7/16 65 4.1 1 0 3-7 76.3

this isn't even counting the amount of flags negated incompletions for Manziel
It looks like thats only the stats from the last game? Teddy is a combined 22 of 33 for 226 yards and 2 tds. Not sure what Johnny footballs stats are for the 2 games.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

akvikingsfan wrote:It looks like thats only the stats from the last game? Teddy is a combined 22 of 33 for 226 yards and 2 tds. Not sure what Johnny footballs stats are for the 2 games.
Manziel is 14/27, 128 yards 1 TD and 0 INTs after 2 games
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Raptorman wrote: Not what I am saying. Key word in my statement. "Thinks" Take Green Bay and the whole Favre/Rodgers fiasco. Green Bay didn't think they had a problem. Rodgers was the starter. That was the decision that was made and that was the decision they stuck to. To fans and the press it was a fiasco, to the Packer origination it was an issue that had to be dealt with and was.

This post doesn't make any sense to me.

1) Emphasizing "thinks" makes this really ambiguous. We don't truly know what anybody thinks, so declaring that nobody has ever thought something, to me, seems silly.

2) You're telling me that Bledsoe/Brady didn't weigh heavily on the Patriots heading into the Super Bowl? What did the Bills think when the had Doug Flutie and Rob Johnson? Did the 49ers never wonder if Montana or Young gave the team a better chance to win? Your assertion that these issues are just dealt with without any controversy defies reason.

3) You say that QB controversies aren't real, but then you admit "If a team has a split in the locker room, that is all on the coaches". Aren't the men in the locker room the truest meaning of the word "team"? Forgetting that no coach can circumvent any players' emotions and loyalty, it doesn't matter whose fault it is if there is a split locker room, it is still a QB controversy.

I agree that the media blows things completely out of proportion, but come on, these things DO exist.