Souhan: Cassel No. 1 QB

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Souhan: Cassel No. 1 QB

Post by Mothman »

Cassel definitely has a good arm. I think the primary concerns with him are accuracy and decision-making. He's looked good in both departments this preseason so hopefully, he can carry that into the regular season. The regular season is an entirely different "animal" than the preseason so who knows? If he gets the start in week 1, as most of are expecting, he should face a very tough test right away. I think the Rams defensive front will really test the Vikings o-line.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Texas Vike wrote:Were you thinking literally? Like he was full of static electricity? Or like the emperor from Return of the Jedi, he had lightening bolts coming out of his fingers? :lol:
Of course. I expect Cassel to be Raiden from Mortal Combat.

Not really. But I think "Electric" being the unstoppable Peyton Manning/Tom Brady types that pick opponents apart, especially in critical situations, and make it look easy.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

dead_poet wrote: Of course. I expect Cassel to be Raiden from Mortal Combat.

Not really. But I think "Electric" being the unstoppable Peyton Manning/Tom Brady types that pick opponents apart, especially in critical situations, and make it look easy.
Funny. I used to love Mortal Kombat.

I can think of that one pass to CP84 on the first drive, which Cassel missed, but other than that he was very impressive, IMO. Semantic quibbles aside, I think we can agree that if we get him to perform this well, steadily, we'll be in good shape.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

GBFavreFan wrote: Not to diminish Bridgewater because I love him, but the reason he's getting those chants is because the funnest names to chant in sports are "Reggie" and "Teddy". Peyton Manning through 55 TDs, was anyone chanting "Peyton!" heck no, its no fun to say it. it's just human nature. Just like how the Vikings announcer spent half the game making illiteration remarks like "Too much Time for Teddy" and "Touchdown for Teddy"! It's just a fun name to say and a fun word to play with. And I'm sure we're all going to get sick of announcers doing that at some point (or maybe just our opponents will :))

However that is not to say that he won't do things to warrant it, but people will chant "Teddy" more than they probably need to, and I am perfectly fine with that! TEDDY! However I distinctly remember if Reggie White was sackless in a game, a spontaneous "Reggie" chant would break out and within 1-2 series he'd get a sack!
I think you're right on with these observations.

(BTW, In the most helpful tone possible, I'd like to point out that the word you want is "alliteration".)
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

GBFavreFan wrote: Not to diminish Bridgewater because I love him, but the reason he's getting those chants is because the funnest names to chant in sports are "Reggie" and "Teddy". Peyton Manning through 55 TDs, was anyone chanting "Peyton!" heck no, its no fun to say it. it's just human nature. Just like how the Vikings announcer spent half the game making illiteration remarks like "Too much Time for Teddy" and "Touchdown for Teddy"! It's just a fun name to say and a fun word to play with. And I'm sure we're all going to get sick of announcers doing that at some point (or maybe just our opponents will :))

However that is not to say that he won't do things to warrant it, but people will chant "Teddy" more than they probably need to, and I am perfectly fine with that! TEDDY! However I distinctly remember if Reggie White was sackless in a game, a spontaneous "Reggie" chant would break out and within 1-2 series he'd get a sack!
True that. Good point.

Our fan base is still hungry for that QB "savior" though.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PacificNorseWest wrote:True that. Good point.

Our fan base is still hungry for that QB "savior" though.
Yeah, his name makes it fun and easy to chant for him but they're chanting because they want to see him play and become that QB "savior".
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote: Yeah, his name makes it fun and easy to chant for him but they're chanting because they want to see him play and become that QB "savior".
No doubt about it.

You know, in a weird way, I wasn't that upset when Arizona scored late, even though it wax one of the more retarded touchdowns I've seen in quiet awhile. I was happy for the chance to see how Teddy handled a late-game situation, and he didn't disappoint. Don't know what it means for the long-term except that the moment wasn't too big for him. It's a good early sign.

But Cassel is still clearly the starter and will likely remain the starter unless there's an injury or until such time as the Vikings are hopelessly out of the playoff race. He's played really well this preseason.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:No doubt about it.

You know, in a weird way, I wasn't that upset when Arizona scored late, even though it wax one of the more retarded touchdowns I've seen in quiet awhile. I was happy for the chance to see how Teddy handled a late-game situation, and he didn't disappoint. Don't know what it means for the long-term except that the moment wasn't too big for him. It's a good early sign.
I agree and in a way, that was probably a dream situation for Zimmer and his staff in terms of evaluating their young QB. It's probably something that's tough to simulate in practice.
But Cassel is still clearly the starter and will likely remain the starter unless there's an injury or until such time as the Vikings are hopelessly out of the playoff race. He's played really well this preseason.
He has and if he carries it over and continues playing well during the regular season, Bridgewater may sit all year. That wouldn't be bad, especially if the team is winning. On the other hand, it's not hard to imagine a scenario where Cassel gets pulled even if healthy, perhaps in an effort to stay in the playoff race.

I have no idea how it's going to play out but I expect it to be interesting.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I know it's just the preseason, but Cassel is the highest rated QB in the NFL. He's shown functional mobility, decisiveness, and leadership. Teddy is the future, but benching Cassel right now in an effort to push Teddy out there would be irresponsible for the team and for Teddy. I know recent rookie QBs have started and had success, but Aaron Rodgers attributes a lot if his success to being able to focus on himself early in his career. Let's give Teddy that same opportunity.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I am exicted about Teddy, but the Vikings should hold him at least a year, and let him learn....
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
PurpleHalo
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PurpleHalo »

Cassel is what he is, an experienced vet who can handle a game like a pro. He will have a big game now and again, but he wont dominate for weeks on end. The perfect bridge at this point, and he knows this. If he pulls a career year out of his hat, it might be a fun season, but not a playoff season imo. I think this team will struggle a bit in the first half of the season feeling out the new systems, and turn it on the last 8 games as momentum for 2015, at least that would be a decent scenario.
This space available for rent.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

From Grantland, about veterans who will bounce back this season:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ounce-back
Matt Cassel, QB, Minnesota Vikings: Yes, Matt Cassel. I think the 32-year-old is a solid quarterback. He isn't a star, but I've seen the Chiefs and Patriots win double-digit games with him under center. And I know how good Norv Turner is as a play caller. He will maximize Cassel, who has legit talent at receiver with budding playmaker Cordarrelle Patterson and savvy veteran Greg Jennings. Not to mention, a young tight end (Kyle Rudolph) who should flourish in Turner's scheme. And the primary focus of every opposing defense is clearly Adrian Peterson. Cassel can make foes pay when they stack the box. First-round pick Teddy Bridgewater is the quarterback of the future in Minnesota, but Cassel can capably direct this offense right now.