Rodney Smith

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Eli
Hall of Famer

Rodney Smith

Post by Eli »

Very impressed with Rodney Smith's four catches on the game-winning touchdown drive.

The two crossing routes showed a lot of presence, speed, and determination in getting out of bounds. I couldn't quite tell if he was the primary receiver on either of them, or if he was bailing out Bridgewater. Either way, heads up plays.

The long reception was very Randy-Moss-like. Bridgewater just tossed that ball up for grabs. Smith came back to it, used his body to shield the throw from the defender and fought to pull it in. And looked very natural doing it.

The TD reception was textbook. The toughest part of the play was probably keeping from pushing off from the defender.

This guy needs a lot more touches this year. If he keeps it up, he could easily become the Vikings #3 wide receiver and make Jerome Simpson expendable.
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Re: Rodney Smith

Post by Slick Rick »

Eli wrote:Very impressed with Rodney Smith's four catches on the game-winning touchdown drive.

The two crossing routes showed a lot of presence, speed, and determination in getting out of bounds. I couldn't quite tell if he was the primary receiver on either of them, or if he was bailing out Bridgewater. Either way, heads up plays.

The long reception was very Randy-Moss-like. Bridgewater just tossed that ball up for grabs. Smith came back to it, used his body to shield the throw from the defender and fought to pull it in. And looked very natural doing it.

The TD reception was textbook. The toughest part of the play was probably keeping from pushing off from the defender.

This guy needs a lot more touches this year. If he keeps it up, he could easily become the Vikings #3 wide receiver and make Jerome Simpson expendable.
I don't see him passing Jarius. :lol:

He's good, and talented, but these were 3rd stringers he was playing against. Yeah, so was Wright, but Wright is a proven commodity in the NFL to some extent. With that said, can you imagine 2-3 years ago that we'd have a logjam because of our excessive depth at WR? Jarius was our best back in '12 after Harvin went down, and now he's possibly/probably going to a #4 or 5.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

I think he and Wright have very different talents, so it's a bit like comparing apples and oranges. Not so with Simpson. I don't think Simpson would have caught that long jumpball. He's just not a fighter. More often than not, Simpson is tossing his hands in the air and looking for a flag before the ball even hits the ground.
Slick Rick
Transition Player

Post by Slick Rick »

Eli wrote:I think he and Wright have very different talents, so it's a bit like comparing apples and oranges. Not so with Simpson. I don't think Simpson would have caught that long jumpball. He's just not a fighter. More often than not, Simpson is tossing his hands in the air and looking for a flag before the ball even hits the ground.
Right. Wright is more of a slot receiver, while Smith has the leaping ability and size that traditionally lines up on the outside. I would prefer it if Turner and Zimmer had more confidence in Smith than in Simpson as well, but we'll have to see what happens.
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

Slick Rick wrote: I don't see him passing Jarius. :lol:

He's good, and talented, but these were 3rd stringers he was playing against.
And he didn't exactly what a legitmate NFL wide receiver should do against a bunch of 3rds. He made them look ridiculous. We need to find a spot for him on this team, whether it's keeping 6 wide receivers, or cutting someone like Simpson or Theilen.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Just looking at this game I'd rather have Smith with the ball in his hands than Wright. I know it's preseason, but Wright being man-handled to be kept in bounds like that ... I didn't like it, even if it is a preseason game.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote:Just looking at this game I'd rather have Smith with the ball in his hands than Wright. I know it's preseason, but Wright being man-handled to be kept in bounds like that ... I didn't like it, even if it is a preseason game.
That's understandable. It's always nice to have a big receiver who can fight off a defender and get out of bounds in that situation but Wright bring quite a bit to the table.

If Smith and Thielen keep coming on strong, I wonder if Simpson might be the logical choice as odd man out. He's been an inconsistent performer and despite every incentive to stay out of trouble, he can't seem to avoid it.
UltraNasty850
Backup

Post by UltraNasty850 »

Rodney Smith looked pretty good last night. Even though he didn't play with the starters, he made some great catches. He looked like Teddy's favorite for sure. Thelien (excuse my spelling), has looked good as well, but had that huge TD drop last night. It will be interesting to see who steals the last WR spot. Simpson and Wright aren't going anywhere guys. Yeah they didn't do much last night or last week, but IMO the coaches know what they have in them and are putting the younger/inexperienced players in situations to make plays.

Side note: How good did Teddy look on that last game winning drive?!? :rock:
Twitter - @Andy_FA_

Bleed Purple
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

While watching the culmination of that game-winning drive last night, I definitely got the sense that Rodney may have jumped or is getting close to jumping Jerome on the depth chart. With Simpson starting the year with a suspension, then as was mentioned in a previous post, it may make Simpson expendable.

Might be jumping the gun on this one a bit, but it's what I felt.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

I've been touting Rodney Smith for a while now in a couple different threads. If you look back at last preseason, he did the exact same thing, almost literally. Came in late in preseason games, dominated the guys he was against and it wasn't close. I think last year he was in for like 4 plays and had 3 catches for blah yards and a TD. I don't know what the knock on the guy is, or if he doesn't practice well or what, but every time he plays, and i do mean damn near every time he plays, he dominates.

This is why I've said in other threads that I think WR is our deepest position this year. Lot of people didn't believe it but between Patterson, Simpson, Jennings, Wright, Thielan, and Smith I think we have 6 legit WR's there.

My personal depth chart would be Patterson, Jennings, Wright, Smith, Thielen if we kept 5. I like Simpson but with his off the field problems and Rodney Smith's potential and a hard worker in Thielen I just can't see him as a better option long term.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Eli wrote:I think he and Wright have very different talents, so it's a bit like comparing apples and oranges. Not so with Simpson. I don't think Simpson would have caught that long jumpball. He's just not a fighter. More often than not, Simpson is tossing his hands in the air and looking for a flag before the ball even hits the ground.

Yeah, but who has the better first down celebration? :lol:
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

and who caught Cassel's third and long and would have had a TD if Teddy hadn't thrown it off the wrong shoulder? I'm not ready to give up on Simpson, and certainly not Wright for that matter. Simpson gets no more off field efups though. I think I can allow Wright one on field mistake for all the good plays he has made for us. I don't get why he doesn't get more chances.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I agree. Smith could be big in the redzone or the type of player where a QB can just chuck it up there and he goes and gets it. Very similar to what Sidney Rice did when Favre was here. I thought the most impressive thing about Smith's TD catch was the ability to keep both feet in bounds. He seems to have good body control in the air but I liked that he also had the presence to feel that sideline.

I think there's a good chance the Vikings keep 6 and both Smith and Thielen make the team.
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

Webbfann wrote:and who caught Cassel's third and long and would have had a TD if Teddy hadn't thrown it off the wrong shoulder? I'm not ready to give up on Simpson, and certainly not Wright for that matter. Simpson gets no more off field efups though. I think I can allow Wright one on field mistake for all the good plays he has made for us. I don't get why he doesn't get more chances.
What has he done for us? It seems like every time he gets the ball in a big moment he drops it. We win both the Bears and the Packers games if he can hang onto the ball in the 4th quarter (admittedly Patterson had the bigger drop in the Packers game). He had a couple big plays for us two years ago, but he really hasn't done much aside from those.
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

maembe wrote: What has he done for us? It seems like every time he gets the ball in a big moment he drops it. We win both the Bears and the Packers games if he can hang onto the ball in the 4th quarter (admittedly Patterson had the bigger drop in the Packers game). He had a couple big plays for us two years ago, but he really hasn't done much aside from those.
I could say the same thing about most of our receivers though. What has Jennings done for us? I think this year, with competent quarterbacking and competent offensive coordination, will be the real test of our receivers. I'm not convinced Simpson will prove to be worthwhile but I'm not convinced he won't. He needs TD catches, which he has lacked. But if Teddy throws that ball to the other shoulder he gets the TD and we probably aren't having this conversation. Smith was the beneficiary of that corrected mistake. I didn't see the game or maybe I would be pulling for Smith too. Sounds like he had a great game. Maybe he's better than Simpson, but I gotta see it.