Vikings' Christian Ponder open to trade, but maximizing time

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Vikings' Christian Ponder open to trade, but maximizing time

Post by dead_poet »

It's possible to discuss this topic/person civilly, right? I have faith in us.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... /14053699/

Good seeing Pelissero back. Video is worth a watch too.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
tnvikesfan
Starter

Re: Vikings' Christian Ponder open to trade, but maximizing

Post by tnvikesfan »

So, were we to be so fortunate as to have Ponder find another team and leave us with that vacancy, who would be a viable prospect at this point?
~Ginny~

A woman is only vulnerable while her nails are wet. Even then, she can pull the trigger if she needs to.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I don't think we can do better at the 3rd string QB position than Ponder considering who's out there to be had. However, if the team can get trade value that's ideal. Ponder's value as the 3rd string isn't nothing ... but it's quite close.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

tnvikesfan wrote:So, were we to be so fortunate as to have Ponder find another team and leave us with that vacancy, who would be a viable prospect at this point?
It doesn't sound like Webb will make the roster in Carolina. There will be young QBs available after final cuts.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

dead_poet wrote: It doesn't sound like Webb will make the roster in Carolina. There will be young QBs available after final cuts.
:( I have seen enough of Webb, trying to play QB for a life time. There will be some decent Qbs on the market after teams trim their rosters. Everyone is talking about a viable 3rd string, the Vikes maybe searching for a 1st or second string QB via a trade if Cassel starts playing like he has so often ie. the game last year against thje Bengals. I am hoping that Teddy and Cassel can "fill the bill" but things could easily go either way with one or both of them.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Purple bruise wrote::( I have seen enough of Webb, trying to play QB for a life time. There will be some decent Qbs on the market after teams trim their rosters. Everyone is talking about a viable 3rd string, the Vikes maybe searching for a 1st or second string QB via a trade if Cassel starts playing like he has so often ie. the game last year against thje Bengals. I am hoping that Teddy and Cassel can "fill the bill" but things could easily go either way with one or both of them.
In the large scheme of things it really doesn't matter much who's our third-stringer. The odds of those third-string "fringe" players ever making a meaningful impact are extraordinarily thin. For all intents and purposes Teddy is our "young, inexperienced" QB. There are teams that only carry two QBs anyway so there's the chance that IF Ponder is traded, they'd update their emergency list and only carry two guys (maybe add somebody to the practice squad).
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

dead_poet wrote: In the large scheme of things it really doesn't matter much who's our third-stringer. The odds of those third-string "fringe" players ever making a meaningful impact are extraordinarily thin. For all intents and purposes Teddy is our "young, inexperienced" QB. There are teams that only carry two QBs anyway so there's the chance that IF Ponder is traded, they'd update their emergency list and only carry two guys (maybe add somebody to the practice squad).
Good point, but quite honestly I am not sold on either one especially Cassel.

My hope for Ponder is that he does get traded and gets a fresh start. There are several instances of similar type players who have gone on to become very successful.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

I especially liked the video. Good stuff, and rocking hair... Pelissero's got sweet pelo. :lol:
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

dead_poet wrote:It doesn't sound like Webb will make the roster in Carolina. There will be young QBs available after final cuts.
Unless some team is chomping at the bit to trade for Ponder now, and that's probably unlikely, I think waiting until the final cuts to select a 3rd QB makes sense. After all, it's likely he will not play during the season.

BTW, I agree that it's good to see Pelissero again. I miss his commentaries.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Ponder can't even learn to not look down reciever's ...

I don't see him ever making it in the NFL ... ever...
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Purple bruise wrote:Everyone is talking about a viable 3rd string, the Vikes maybe searching for a 1st or second string QB via a trade if Cassel starts playing like he has so often ie. the game last year against thje Bengals.
No. The Vikings won't be seeking a 1st string QB via trade. No matter what happens.

As to Ponder, I'm sure he'd love a trade, but it seems very unlikely. As it is, I wonder which team will be willing to give him a chance once he hits free agency. Someone is likely to give him a one-year contract and at least bring him into training camp next summer to try and make the roster.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Need to find another young guy. Either way won't matter if the #3 ever sees the field. Get another developmental guy in there. Waste of everyones time the way it is.
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

dead_poet wrote: It doesn't sound like Webb will make the roster in Carolina. There will be young QBs available after final cuts.

What more could he have done to make the roster than throw for 180 and run for 30 more in the one half he played? Most of what I've read has him making the team, if they keep 3 qbs.

But if he doesn't, and it makes PB unhappy, by all means bring him back here.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Webbfann wrote:
What more could he have done to make the roster than throw for 180 and run for 30 more in the one half he played? Most of what I've read has him making the team, if they keep 3 qbs.

But if he doesn't, and it makes PB unhappy, by all means bring him back here.
From what I've read Carolina will probably only keep two QBs and Derek Anderson is pretty entrenched as their #2. Joe may make it a contest, though, in the next couple of preseason games if he continues to play well, though.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:If someone's starter or backup gets injured in the next 3 weeks I think the Vikings will move Ponder for a 6th or 7th and just sign a 3rd QB to the PS after final cuts.
That's my guess as well. Reports are Nassib is on the roster bubble in New York (as an example).