Cassell's confidence

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Cassell's confidence

Post by Texas Vike »

Good article on Cassell and his level of confidence heading into the season. It must get old not taking the bait from reporters hell bent on poking and prodding in order to get a story.
It must be difficult to help the person who probably has more natural talent and is earmarked to replace you at a yet-to-be-determined point over the next 12 months. Right, Matt?

“Competition is competition,” he said. “But at the end of the day, we’re teammates.”

Then came that subtle confidence.

“If I play well,” he said, “the rest of it takes care of itself.”
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 06581.html
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Cassell's confidence

Post by 720pete »

Cassel has always been good with the media and handled the situation with poise, even dating back to last year.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

I think Bridgewater will work out and be the guy one day. But for now, I'm happy that Cassel is around. Seems to me the Vikings currently need a QB with veteran experience and composure.

Cassel has proven in the past that he can perform well with good skill players around him. He presently has that with this team.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:I think Bridgewater will work out and be the guy one day. But for now, I'm happy that Cassel is around. Seems to me the Vikings currently need a QB with veteran experience and composure.

Cassel has proven in the past that he can perform well with good skill players around him. He presently has that with this team.
Experience and composure are valuable traits but I want to see him perform more consistently. He had good skill players around him last year too but the quality of his performances was all over the place. I think you'll agree that the Vikes need a QB who can deliver against good defenses, not just bad.

Of course, that goes for the rest of the offense too. Cassel wasn't out there by himself!
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Mothman wrote: Experience and composure are valuable traits but I want to see him perform more consistently. He had good skill players around him last year too but the quality of his performances was all over the place. I think you'll agree that the Vikes need a QB who can deliver against good defenses, not just bad.

Of course, that goes for the rest of the offense too. Cassel wasn't out there by himself!
Look for improvement in the consistency department now that Norv Turner's on the scene. It's difficult for a mediocre QB like Cassel to be consistent when Musgrave's play calling left a lot to be desired and telegraphed his tendencies often enough. My Prediction? The offense should have a better overall flow to it and I think this one "fits" cassel better overall anyway. That should help when it comes to consistency issues but we'll have to wait and see.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Make no mistake about it, I am pulling for Cassel, Bridgewater or Mrs. Doubtfire, (sorry Robin Williams), who ever can get the job done. I even accepted it when they brought Favre on board and cheered for him. Of course his accross the body crucial interception sealed their fate, I was still behind him 100%.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Delaqure
Franchise Player

Post by Delaqure »

I really look for Cassel to have a good year this year. Yes, he had decent talent around him last year and was better than Ponder but still inconsistant. But at this point I don't put that all on Cassel. He had Musgrave calling very predictable plays, he had Peterson injured as well as Rudolf. There were still problems with the WR position. But this year it appears to be coming together pretty well, so I think Cassel will be better this year for sure because he will have better tools around him including the OC calling the plays. I just hope our line can keep him upright.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mondry wrote:Look for improvement in the consistency department now that Norv Turner's on the scene. It's difficult for a mediocre QB like Cassel to be consistent when Musgrave's play calling left a lot to be desired and telegraphed his tendencies often enough.
As you know, I'm not willing to just shift the blame for poor performances onto the previous coaching staff. I don't blame Cassel's inadequacies last year on Musgrave, especially because his game had the same issues long before he ever played for Musgrave (and he had some very good games under Musgrave). Bill Musgrave didn't make Cassel make poor choices or poor throws. I realize nothing in a football game happens in a bubble but to a substantial degree, players are responsible for their own performances.

I'm not buying Zimmer and Turner as the miracle workers they're being made out to be either. Zimmer didn't turn those Cincy defenses around overnight and we've seen plenty of inconsistent play out of Turner-coached QBs in the past. They're good coaches and hopefully, they'll help make the Vikes a better team but I think it's a process that may take quite a bit of time.
My Prediction? The offense should have a better overall flow to it and I think this one "fits" cassel better overall anyway. That should help when it comes to consistency issues but we'll have to wait and see.
Exactly and Cassel's overall track record is such that I'll only believe he can play consistently well for the Vikings when I see it. I'm not saying he can't do it. I'm just not counting on it.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: As you know, I'm not willing to just shift the blame for poor performances onto the previous coaching staff. I don't blame Cassel's inadequacies last year on Musgrave, especially because his game had the same issues long before he ever played for Musgrave (and he had some very good games under Musgrave). Bill Musgrave didn't make Cassel make poor choices or poor throws. I realize nothing in a football game happens in a bubble but to a substantial degree, players are responsible for their own performances.

I'm not buying Zimmer and Turner as the miracle workers they're being made out to be either. Zimmer didn't turn those Cincy defenses around overnight and we've seen plenty of inconsistent play out of Turner-coached QBs in the past. They're good coaches and hopefully, they'll help make the Vikes a better team but I think it's a process that may take quite a bit of time.
Exactly and Cassel's overall track record is such that I'll only believe he can play consistently well for the Vikings when I see it. I'm not saying he can't do it. I'm just not counting on it.
So, to link to another thread I started, you're not putting a Benjamin on the over (6 wins)? :D

I think QB performance will determine our fate this year. I suppose you can say that any year since the position is so important, but I think we'll be better (but not elite) on D this year and that if we can get average or slightly above avg. QB play we could surprise a lot of people and finish .500 or a bit above.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:So, to link to another thread I started, you're not putting a Benjamin on the over (6 wins)? :D
No, I'm not. :)
I think QB performance will determine our fate this year. I suppose you can say that any year since the position is so important, but I think we'll be better (but not elite) on D this year and that if we can get average or slightly above avg. QB play we could surprise a lot of people and finish .500 or a bit above.
I agree that it will be a big factor but I think coverage on defense will probably be just as much of a factor in determining their fate. Poor coverage and an inability to stop opponents arguably had as much to do with sinking the Vikes in 2011 and 2013 as anything else. They were almost historically bad in that department both years and with 3 pass-happy NFC North teams on the schedule as well as QBs like Brady, Brees and Ryan, if they can't cover and get off the field on defense, I think it will be another long year.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: Experience and composure are valuable traits but I want to see him perform more consistently. He had good skill players around him last year too but the quality of his performances was all over the place. I think you'll agree that the Vikes need a QB who can deliver against good defenses, not just bad.

Exactly. Cassel wasn't out there himself. How about the OL that was supposedly protecting him? How about a defense that caved in during critical moments, which put the entire team in a losing position? I think "inconsistency" describes the Vikings team last year quite well. I can't put that all on Cassel, especially since he was a backup QB then and in many ways a stopgap QB now. He's not the future of the team, but I'm still happy the Vikings have him. Of course, the Vikings could always go back to Joe Webb.

If the rest of the team picks up its play, I believe it will benefit the starting QB (including hopefully Cassel for the time he plays). And I agree with those that feel better offensive and defensive coordinating should help as well, providing the Vikings actually get that. We really don't know yet.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:Exactly. Cassel wasn't out there himself. How about the OL that was supposedly protecting him? How about a defense that caved in during critical moments, which put the entire team in a losing position? I think "inconsistency" describes the Vikings team last year quite well. I can't put that all on Cassel, especially since he was a backup QB then and in many ways a stopgap QB now. He's not the future of the team, but I'm still happy the Vikings have him. Of course, the Vikings could always go back to Joe Webb.

If the rest of the team picks up its play, I believe it will benefit the starting QB (including hopefully Cassel for the time he plays). And I agree with those that feel better offensive and defensive coordinating should help as well, providing the Vikings actually get that. We really don't know yet.
Well said. Right now, it's all riding on hope. :)

I'm expecting to see a better Vikings team this year. I hope it works out that way!