53 Man Roster Prediction

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Re: 53 Man Roster Prediction

Post by DK Sweets »

I agree with everything except I think Prater makes it over Sandejo. Too many special teams safeties, and Prater has looked good.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Too early to predict the fringe players. I'll wait until before the final cut.

I can't see a 53 man roster without Larry Dean. Priefer loves the guy.

Chase Ford may end up on either IR or PUP for the first part of the season. The third TE spot is very much up in the air right now and may end up being filled with someone off the waiver wire after final cuts.

I'd be surprised if they expose Jeff Baca to waivers. He has some experience at tackle, is now practicing at center, and may be the most versatile backup on the OL. I rewatched some of Friday's game and Joe Berger had some major breakdowns. At some point, the Vikings will replace him, and it may be this year.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

80 PurplePride 84 wrote:I also think that Simpson, Wright and Sanford are no longer locks to make the team. I still have them all making the 53, but it would not be surprised to see them cut.
I'd be _really_ surprised to see any of those three released. Wright is a lock. Sanford is still a possible starter at safety with Blanton injured. I'm starting to have some reservations about Simpson, but with his suspension, they could carry him through those weeks and see how the other WRs do, then make a decision after the suspension.

I've always liked Allen Reisner as a receiver, but he's had holding penalties in successive weeks and could be a liability in blocking. Tight end is a position where it will be interesting to see what the Vikings do. I think the Vikings had hopes that Rhett Ellison would be the new Jimmy Kleinsasser, but he's looking more like the new Jeff Dugan.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Even though he hasn't played, I'm going to say Blanton makes the team, Exum to the PS.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Eli wrote: I'd be _really_ surprised to see any of those three released. Wright is a lock. Sanford is still a possible starter at safety with Blanton injured. I'm starting to have some reservations about Simpson, but with his suspension, they could carry him through those weeks and see how the other WRs do, then make a decision after the suspension.

I've always liked Allen Reisner as a receiver, but he's had holding penalties in successive weeks and could be a liability in blocking. Tight end is a position where it will be interesting to see what the Vikings do. I think the Vikings had hopes that Rhett Ellison would be the new Jimmy Kleinsasser, but he's looking more like the new Jeff Dugan.
When a player is suspended, do they count against the 53 man roster?
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

VikingPaul73 wrote: When a player is suspended, do they count against the 53 man roster?
They do not, so they'll likely have Smith and Thielen for the first 6 games.
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Post by Pseudo Everything »

QB (3)
Matt Cassel
Teddy Bridgewater
Christian Ponder

RB (3)
Adrian Peterson
Matt Asiata
Jerrick McKinnon

WR (5)
Greg Jennings
Cordarrelle Patterson
Jarius Wright
Adam Thielen
Rodney Smith

TE (3)
Kyle Rudolph
Rhett Ellison
Allen Reisner

OL (9)
Matt Kalil
Charlie Johnson
John Sullivan
Brandon Fusco
Phil Loadholt
Joe Berger
David Yankey
Antonio Richardson
Valdimir Ducasse

DE (4)
Everson Griffen
Brian Robison
Corey Wootton
Scott Crichton

DT (4)
Sharrif Floyd
Linval Joseph
Fred Evans
Shamar Stephen

LB (7)
Chad Greenway
Jasper Brinkley
Anthony Barr
Audie Cole
Gerald Hodges
Michael Mauti
Brandon Watts

CB (6)
Xavier Rhodes
Captain Munnerlyn
Josh Robinson
Derek Cox
Jabari Price
Marcus Sherels

S (6)
Harrison Smith
Robert Blanton
Chris Crocker
Kurt Coleman
Jamarca Sanford
Mistral Raymond

ST (3)
Blair Walsh
Jeff Locke
Cullen Loeffler

There's usually a surprise or two when it comes to the final cutdown.

Despite Norv saying there's a role for Felton in his offense I don't think he makes the roster. Asiata can block and offers much more versatility when we're in two back sets (don't think we'll see alot of two back sets in the regular season). Ellison can also fill-in the FB Hback role. Carrying only 3 RBs is a concern but we'll have to stash a few on the PS.

Have 9 OL which is probably one too many. Richardson looks like he might be able to play LT and he's the only backup that can do that. Don't think we'll expose him to waivers hoping to sign him to the PS. Baca looks like someone on the outside looking in; he's running with the 3s behind Ducasse. When we signed Ducasse it was probably a good sign that Baca was falling out of favor.

Thought Tom Johnson would make the roster but with the emergence of Shamar Stephen, that is starting to look in doubt. Unlikely we carry 5 DTs and there's too much film of Stephen in preseason to think he would clear waivers.

Think this is the year we finally get rid of Larry Dean. Guy cannot play LB and only has value as a STs player. Brandon Watts looks like might be able to play LB in a backup role and is just as athletic as Dean is. If we take Watts over Dean it might be an indication of how much pull Priefer has in the Zimmer regime.

Safety position is a mess. Think we'll go with the experience of Raymond over the potential of Exum and hope he clears waivers.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Roster must be finalized Aug 30.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Pseudo Everything,

Good analysis. With the 90 men they have in camp, you might have nailed it. I have a pretty good feeling that they'll sign a couple of waiver wire players, though. Possibly even after the first cuts. Tight end, cornerback and safety are all prime candidates.
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

Eli wrote:Pseudo Everything,
Good analysis. With the 90 men they have in camp, you might have nailed it. I have a pretty good feeling that they'll sign a couple of waiver wire players, though. Possibly even after the first cuts. Tight end, cornerback and safety are all prime candidates.
Thanks.

An excerpt from Peter King's last column:
I think in the next week you’re going to see and hear of so many teams desperate for cornerbacks. “We’re going to get one,” a personnel man for one team told me Saturday, “but we may have to pay a higher price than we want, or a higher price than the player deserves.” The Jets, the Ravens, the Lions, the Colts, the Vikings and the Bucs, among others, could be sniffing around for a dwindling supply of cover guys near the final cutdown.
Trades in the final days before the cutdown aren't that common but for teams that want to fill a certain need its better than waiting around to see who is in the waiver wire pile and then hoping your waiver claim is successful. Of course teams like the Ravens and Colts are pretty low on the waiver wire list so they have added incentive to do a deal. Of those teams that King mentions, only the Bucs are ahead of us on the waiver wire; they're 7th, we're 9th. Of course there will also likely be some veterans that will be cut who will not be subject to waivers.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

720pete wrote:Roster must be finalized Aug 30.
That's next Saturday, a week from today. Everyone plays their final preseason game on Thursday.

First cuts are by 4PM Eastern time this Tuesday, August 26h. Teams must be down to 75 players.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Pseudo Everything wrote: Thanks.

An excerpt from Peter King's last column: Trades in the final days before the cutdown aren't that common but for teams that want to fill a certain need its better than waiting around to see who is in the waiver wire pile and then hoping your waiver claim is successful. Of course teams like the Ravens and Colts are pretty low on the waiver wire list so they have added incentive to do a deal. Of those teams that King mentions, only the Bucs are ahead of us on the waiver wire; they're 7th, we're 9th. Of course there will also likely be some veterans that will be cut who will not be subject to waivers.
Personally, I don't see us targeting any corners unless there is a big-name surprising cut. I don't see cornerback as much of a weakness as it once was. I think Rhodes and Munnerlyn will be very solid for us this year. I think our coaching staff is high on Jabari Price, and even though he hasn't practice in a long time, I still think Josh Robinson makes the roster.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Personally, I don't see us targeting any corners unless there is a big-name surprising cut. I don't see cornerback as much of a weakness as it once was. I think Rhodes and Munnerlyn will be very solid for us this year. I think our coaching staff is high on Jabari Price, and even though he hasn't practice in a long time, I still think Josh Robinson makes the roster.
Unless Robinson _cannot_ get healthy, he'll make the roster. Next man down on the CB totem pole appears to be Marcus Sherels. And that's why the Vikings will be looking at cornerbacks. They have little depth at the position.
Pseudo Everything
Transition Player

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Personally, I don't see us targeting any corners unless there is a big-name surprising cut. I don't see cornerback as much of a weakness as it once was. I think Rhodes and Munnerlyn will be very solid for us this year. I think our coaching staff is high on Jabari Price, and even though he hasn't practice in a long time, I still think Josh Robinson makes the roster.
Bengals defense was in the nickel 52% of the time last year. After Rhodes and Munnerlyn is gets a little sketchy. Has Josh Robinson improved from last year? Who knows as he's been MIA for most of camp. Derek Cox has been unimpressive. Jabari Price looks like he's got potential but he's probably a PS player on most rosters. Sherels can't cover. If Sherels gets any time at CB we are in serious trouble. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we signed someone (waiver wire or even a low-level trade) to improve our depth at CB.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Personally, I feel fine with Cox Robinson and Price as the primary back-ups to Rhodes and Munnerlyn. That being said, if a surprising cut occurs and the player cut offers more upside, then by all means, I will support the team's decision.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.