The Future of VMB

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

The Future of VMB

Post by Mothman »

I hate to say it but it seems to me that this board has become a much nastier place, full of sniping, baiting, trolling and sometimes just plain hateful language. There's a LOT of negativity, in one form or another, and I'm not proud of the fact that I sometimes allow myself to get drawn into it.

Some of you will undoubtedly disagree with this post (or find it laughable) and that's fine but I'm wondering: is this board, as it is today, really what we want VMB to be? Maybe it is and if so, that's fine but if it's not, what are we going to do to change it? It seems to me that a gathering of people who are here because they love something (the Vikings) should be a happier place, or at least a kinder, more fun, place. Tensions are obviously going to arise and people are going to have disagreements but I find I don't even enjoy reading a lot of what's posted anymore and worse yet, I find myself posting responses I regret, usually out of aggravation. That's making me question whether I should keep posting at all because that's not who I want to be.

Over the years, I've really tried to be a positive contributor to this forum by starting threads to encourage new discussion, linking to articles people may find interesting or informative, etc. I make a sincere effort to express what I hope is an intelligent, well-reasoned point of view (maybe I'm deluding myself there) and to admit when I make a mistake. I'm willing to apologize if I wrong someone and I try to joke around and lighten the mood once in a while. I'm far from perfect and I've probably failed at all of the above at one point or another but above all else, I try to be earnest. I know there are others here who do likewise, people who feel the same way, and people who are frustrated with the current state of this board. I also know the mods are trying to improve this place and I appreciate their efforts.

Anyway, I'm writing all of this (and probably overwriting it) because I've been here long enough to actually care about this place and because I'm wondering if VMB is what most of us want it to be anymore. If it is, that's fine. If it isn't, how can we, as a community, change and improve it?
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: The Future of VMB

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Love the post, as I do with most of yours.

A lot of the negativity seems to surround 1 player.

I haven't been here as long as a lot of you, but theres so much knowledge and Vikings love here, I love this message board. I used to stop at a few others but I never do know. If it has to do with the Vikings, this is the best place to look. Plus I love heated debates, as long as it doesn't get personal. I think the Mods do a good job of that.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I think as passionate as we all are, butthurt is bound to arise. The attacks don't seem personal to me (but granted, I've only been around for a short time).

We should all strive to be good people, and remember that we all have more in common than is different. Basically, I think this board is a microcosm of human nature.

I don't think anything is wrong with the board, but I DO agree that we could all try to keep negativity at bay.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote:I hate to say it but it seems to me that this board has become a much nastier place, full of sniping, baiting, trolling and sometimes just plain hateful language. There's a LOT of negativity, in one form or another, and I'm not proud of the fact that I sometimes allow myself to get drawn into it.

Some of you will undoubtedly disagree with this post (or find it laughable) and that's fine but I'm wondering: is this board, as it is today, really what we want VMB to be? Maybe it is and if so, that's fine but if it's not, what are we going to do to change it? It seems to me that a gathering of people who are here because they love something (the Vikings) should be a happier place, or at least a kinder, more fun, place. Tensions are obviously going to arise and people are going to have disagreements but I find I don't even enjoy reading a lot of what's posted anymore and worse yet, I find myself posting responses I regret, usually out of aggravation. That's making me question whether I should keep posting at all because that's not who I want to be.

Over the years, I've really tried to be a positive contributor to this forum by starting threads to encourage new discussion, linking to articles people may find interesting or informative, etc. I make a sincere effort to express what I hope is an intelligent, well-reasoned point of view (maybe I'm deluding myself there) and to admit when I make a mistake. I'm willing to apologize if I wrong someone and I try to joke around and lighten the mood once in a while. I'm far from perfect and I've probably failed at all of the above at one point or another but above all else, I try to be earnest. I know there are others here who do likewise, people who feel the same way, and people who are frustrated with the current state of this board. I also know the mods are trying to improve this place and I appreciate their efforts.

Anyway, I'm writing all of this (and probably overwriting it) because I've been here long enough to actually care about this place and because I'm wondering if VMB is what most of us want it to be anymore. If it is, that's fine. If it isn't, how can we, as a community, change and improve it?

I stumbled across this board on accident some years ago after becoming very sour on a different one I'd used. That one was plagued with trolls and fake posters and ad hominem attacks and, at the end of the day, very little substance. It had almost no admin control, so posters got away with the most crass and mean spirited types of discourse you can imagine.

When I found VMB it was like fresh air: the collective IQ seemed much higher and, most importantly, folks were DECENT to one another. I have noticed these exceptional qualities of VMB have regressed towards the mean a bit of late, but I think in general it continues to be a pretty civil place for quality dialogue on the Vikings.

I don't really have an answer for your post, Jim, but I have to say that I have always admired the way you engage with others here. You're an ambassador for this board and it would be much worse off without you around.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I have many of the same concerns, Jim. There are some on the board who seem to be more intent on starting/continuing arguments and trolling the board than having real conversations. If the Vikings went 19-0 and won every game 50-0, including the Super Bowl, they woyuld still find things to complain about and bring down the mood of the board just because they can.

With that said, I come here daily to get news about the Vikings, and I will continue to do so until I am six-feet under (and even then, maybe I will visit :rip: ). I just don't see myself interacting as much because the board is much different than when I joined.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

We can do better.

But we also do better than most other Vikings boards.

I clung onto the old fore-runner usenet group for a time, until that degraded, and consequently joined this group rather early on. I don't post nearly as much as others, being that I don't have the football mind nearly as much as others. But what has kept me here is the generally respectful tenor, combine with a passion for all things Purple.

Preseason has started. A new season dawns.

Keep the Viking's passions aflame.

But let's be a little bit nicer about it; and save the harsh for the Cheeseheads!!!

:smilevike: :smilevike: :smilevike: :smilevike: :smilevike: :smilevike: :smilevike: :smilevike:
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
Purpnation
Franchise Player

Post by Purpnation »

Nah, I love this board, and I've only been here for a little while, best of all, no Packer or Bear trolls!

You wanna see a terrible, hostile environment? Go to Chicitysports bears forum, it is the most populated Bears board out there nowdays, and boy does it suck!
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I am not really optimistic like I used to be when I joined the board a long time ago. I tend to think of myself as a realist. Witnessing the same thing season after season really starts to wear on you. I wouldn't consider myself a part of the problem, even if my posts aren't optimistic. I always try to at least defend my positions rationally.

This board used to be great. It seems like the current environment of the board started after the 2010 season. I think the change in philosophy around here seems to coincide with the change of the internet philosophy. On the internet, It is now considered cool to be boisterous and it is considered funny to troll.

I love this board. However, I have found myself trying to post less and less here. I honestly cannot stand the bickering and I feel that my opinion isn't valued anyway. I can live with my opinion not being valued. I, however, am not too fond of the bickering and the obvious baiting though.

I am not a mod, so I don't feel that is my place to say how this board should be run. I think the mods understand where the line is and they understand the posters who always seem to have a toe over that line.

Anyway, I am outty. Those that have been around this board as long as I have know I am not one that wants to see this board crash and burn.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
beardedterror
All Pro Elite Player

Post by beardedterror »

I joined this board approximately 5 years ago because it seemed like the best place I could vent my anger about the NFCC loss against the Saints. I got attached, since this board seems to host fans that are as passionate as I am, especially through the offseason.

I don't post here much anymore because my career has taken me to exotic locations doing exotic things, but I'm still paying very close attention to my Vikings. That brings me back to why I joined this board, and why I will continue to support it:

We are a brotherhood of Vikings fans that are very passionate about the intricacies of Vikings football, and we wear our hearts on our sleeves. Whether in good or bad times, we are not afraid to vocalize our opinions on this board because a culture of openness has been fostered on these messageboards. Hell, I appreciate the fact that the cheeseheads can come here and talk with us, as long as it's not complete garbage.

That said, the Vikings have really sucked the past few years. We've all been through the heartbreak of seasons past, and I honestly think that it's not just this messageboard, but the entire Vikings community. We're tired of mediocrity. We're tired of almost getting to the super bowl. We're tired of being "a quarterback away" and having the "final piece of the puzzle" join our ranks. That's been said before and it's proven false. It's f@cking frustrating, but we are all in this together.

This will likely be my only post in the vikings talk category this year. I just hope that others aren't losing faith in this community. I depend on it to keep me going some days.
John_Viveiros
Career Elite Player

Post by John_Viveiros »

Use the "Foe" button. I was getting annoyed reading the board, but I "foed" one long-time contributor about four months ago who I thought continually crossed the "snark" line, and I frankly have had a great time on the board ever since.

I hate to be THAT type of philosopher-dude, but in this case, life is just too short to get into a pissing match over the internet. Or to get upset at what some faceless avatar is saying about your thoughts about a pretty unimportant (although highly enjoyable, I will admit) slice of sports "fanage".

You know, my last comments on the game last night might have been ripped apart by my "foe". But I'll never know. Ignorance can be bliss. As I said, it's worked for me for months now.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

Let's be excellent to one another. Skol.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PsyDanny wrote:We can do better.

But we also do better than most other Vikings boards.
soflavike wrote:Let's be excellent to one another. Skol.
Texas Vike wrote:When I found VMB it was like fresh air: the collective IQ seemed much higher and, most importantly, folks were DECENT to one another. I have noticed these exceptional qualities of VMB have regressed towards the mean a bit of late, but I think in general it continues to be a pretty civil place for quality dialogue on the Vikings.
I sincerely appreciate all of the responses (and the kind words mixed into some of them) and I'm glad we can have a dialogue about this. I realize there are worse, nastier places to discuss the Vikings out there but the quotes above strike to the heart of the matter. We can do better. As Texas Vike wrote, this board has regressed toward the mean and rather than allow that slide to continue, I'd love to see everyone here strive to reverse it. We obviously can and will disagree but as the responses in this thread make clear, I'm not the only one who sees the sniping, trolling, excessive negativity, etc. We can do better.

Regarding John's suggestion to use the "Foe:" button: I already do and I'm sure some others do too but at best, that makes reading the board a more tolerable place and I'm talking about making it a better one. I'd love to see us make that happen as a community, to not want or need to Foe button at all. As beardedterror (nice to see you posting in Vikings Talk) wrote above, we're all in this together.

One last thing: HardcoreVikesFan, I want you to know that I definitely value your opinion and I appreciate your enthusiasm. I consider you one of the more passionate Vikings fans here on a board that's clearly full of them. I hope you'll keep posting.

Thanks again to everyone who responded and this post isn't meant to tie up the thread. I just wanted to respond and emphasize a few points, particularly what PsyDanny and Soflavike wrote: We can do better. Let's be excellent to one another.
VikeMike
All Pro Elite Player

Post by VikeMike »

I agree that this board has recently lost some of the civility that was one of the biggest reasons I keep coming back.

Most of us have been guilty at some point or another of crossing the snark line or being too sarcastic. We can do better. While one doesn't have to love each contributor to the board, let's try to remember that reason we are here is our passion for the Vikes.

I hope the good natured humor continues, though.
Skol, brothers.
"Meet at the quarterback"
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikeMike wrote:I agree that this board has recently lost some of the civility that was one of the biggest reasons I keep coming back.

Most of us have been guilty at some point or another of crossing the snark line or being too sarcastic. We can do better. While one doesn't have to love each contributor to the board, let's try to remember that reason we are here is our passion for the Vikes.

I hope the good natured humor continues, though.
I hope so too. In fact, I hope to see more of it. Football should be fun! After all, it's a game.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Mothman wrote: I hope so too. In fact, I hope to see more of it. Football should be fun! After all, it's a game.