teddy and dropped balls

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

teddy and dropped balls

Post by DK Sweets »

Purplemania wrote:First preseason game, without AD in the backfield, playing with the 2nd unit, for a quarter or so.

Yup, it's fair to say he's Christian Ponder. Trade him for a 6th rounder now.
Isn't that what the excuse for Ponder was last year? "Add AD and everything will be fine!", except it wasn't true. Russell Wilson always transcended his 2nd string competition, so your argument might not be solid.

And to be fair, Teddy played for a half, not a quarter.
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: teddy and dropped balls

Post by Webbfann »

DKSweets wrote:Isn't that what the excuse for Ponder was last year? "Add AD and everything will be fine!", except it wasn't true. Russell Wilson always transcended his 2nd string competition, so your argument might not be solid.

And to be fair, Teddy played for a half, not a quarter.
But to be really fair, all the other things aside (without AD in the backfield, playing with the 2nd unit, for a half) it was still his first preseason game. I don't think it's possible to say where he will end up after one preseason game. He showed good things and not so good things. I suspect most NFL qbs do likewise in their first preseason game. I also bet there are some that excelled and went nowhere, and some who flopped and became HOFers. It's just one half of football folks.
Purpnation
Franchise Player

Post by Purpnation »

In his first NFL game, Rodgers completed two out of seven passes and was sacked twice. Just sayin'.....
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Before I read the thread I wasn't sure if we were talking football or puberty. Glad it's football.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Teddy played better than Culpepper did in his first preseason game. And Daunte when on to later have what I still think was the best overall season any Vikings QB had.

Bridgewater deserves a chance. Giving up on him now doesn't make sense.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Raptorman wrote:Before I read the thread I wasn't sure if we were talking football or puberty. Glad it's football.
:lol:
losperros wrote:Teddy played better than Culpepper did in his first preseason game. And Daunte when on to later have what I still think was the best overall season any Vikings QB had.

Bridgewater deserves a chance. Giving up on him now doesn't make sense.
At this point, he's just a rookie who's played about half of one preseason game. I don't even think it's possible to get a clear read on how he'll perform over the next few preseason games based on that single performance! We're all just going to have to be patient and see how he develops.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Nobody is saying give up on him. Just calling it like I saw it. I thought he should start week 1, after that? Not so sure. Three more games left, so maybe he'll look better. But for a guy stepping in and start, he should look better than that in a preseason game with the #1s...He even got an extended look. I'd rather see Cassell and some competent QB play over that for another season, that's for sure. Maybe he'll step it up moving forward, but I'm sure we'll discuss that when it happens too. But making excuses for him already?.... :confused:

As far as any dropped balls, he sure doesn't throw a catchable one putting everything on every throw...
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Demi wrote:Nobody is saying give up on him. Just calling it like I saw it. I thought he should start week 1, after that? Not so sure. Three more games left, so maybe he'll look better. But for a guy stepping in and start, he should look better than that in a preseason game with the #1s...He even got an extended look. I'd rather see Cassell and some competent QB play over that for another season, that's for sure. Maybe he'll step it up moving forward, but I'm sure we'll discuss that when it happens too. But making excuses for him already?.... :confused:

As far as any dropped balls, he sure doesn't throw a catchable one putting everything on every throw...
Couldn't put it any better. We all want him to succeed, and I think most if us think he will. But I think it's also completely reasonable to say he's not ready yet.
Superfreak84
Veteran

Post by Superfreak84 »

Demi wrote:He'll be the next hero of the franchise that just needs a few more starts and he'll "get it", more likely...
So you can already tell how his future will turn out after 13 passes in his first preseason game. Let's all bow down to this football wizard! He clearly must be a football expert with all of these posts on a message board.
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

He was definitely better than his stat line made it look, but he certainly wasn't great. He seemed pretty decisive though and didn't make any mistakes throwing the football. It's not like the Raiders were dropping interceptions or anything like they were when Ponder was back there. Hopefully he'll pick it up this weekend.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Superfreak84 wrote: So you can already tell how his future will turn out after 13 passes in his first preseason game. Let's all bow down to this football wizard! He clearly must be a football expert with all of these posts on a message board.
...aren't we all giving our opinions on a message board?
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I saw Simpson miss one or two that I thought he could have caught to be honest.

Adam Thein was awesome in every play he was in the game... I really hope he makes the team
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!