Why I am optimistic about he Vikings future.

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Why I am optimistic about he Vikings future.

Post by Raptorman »

I wanted to post this before the first pre-season game because I may not do it if I watch it and they suck.

Here is why I am optimistic about the Vikings chances of having a good year this year and the future. Zimmer was hired by the Bengals for the 2008 season. Prior to the 2008 season the Bengals defense over the last 10 years ranked on average, 24th in points given(24.1 ppg) up and 23rd in yards given up. In his first year those went to 19 and 12. In the six years he was with the team those numbers averaged 12th in points given up and 8th in yards given up. Now, in the previous ten years the Bengals had made the playoffs once. In the six years he was with the team they made the playoffs 4 times.

Now, to take something out of the equation. The offense. The offense the previous 10 years averaged 19th in points scored (19.6 ppg) and 16th in yards gained. In the six years he was there they averaged 19th in points scored (20.8 ppg)and 21st in yards gained. So Zimmer's defense appears to be what helped out in Cincinnati taking a team that averaged 6-10 seasons into a team that made the playoffs 70% of the time.

Now on to the Vikings. Over the last ten years the Vikings defense has averaged being 18th in points given(22.8 ppg) up and 17 on yards given up. On offense, the Vikings have averaged 15th in points scored (22.5 ppg) and 16th in yards. Now if Zimmer's defense works here like it did in Cincinnati then the Vikings can look forward to some playoff games in the near futures. I don't expect the playoffs this year. But stranger things have happened.

But that's just me. I could be wrong.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Re: Why I am optimistic about he Vikings future.

Post by DK Sweets »

Great analysis. It's also promising knowing that our offense is well stocked. If he can make our defense good, we can expect awesome things.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Re: Why I am optimistic about he Vikings future.

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I'm excited for a few years from now. Right now we have a lot of talent, and added some decent coaches for a change. But that talent has to find its spot. Once it does, we might see what most of us have only dreamed about.