What does Teddy have to do to win qb job?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Demi
Commissioner

Re: What does Teddy have to do to win qb job?

Post by Demi »

Look better than Ponder 2.0. That's for sure. Ugh. I loved the pick...but..gaah. :(
oldskoolvikingfan
Starter

Post by oldskoolvikingfan »

DKSweets wrote:What does Teddy need to do to win the starting job? Play better than he did tonight.

He has potential, and forgive me if I'm over reacting, but he needs to sit for most (if not all) of this season.
Completely agree with you. After tonight I think that Cassel has won the QB job unless he completely sucks the next 2 games and Bridgewater shows significant improvement which i hope he does.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Ya'll are nuts. :lol:

How about he played a lot tonight not because "they wanted to see what he could do," but to give him a good amount of NFL reps at the position...I mean, a lot of these opinions are based through the lens of fans clamoring to find a savior, when in fact, this is a process.

I still don't think Cassel is guaranteed to be the starter for week 1. It's probable, but not a certainty.

As for Teddy's play itself. I think he's gonna be good. Real good. He's very quick in the pocket and saw a few occasions where he went to his third read. Not Ponder, not Kaepernick and not RGIII did that so early. His mistakes are things that can and probably will be fixed. Norv will roll out the game tape and get it corrected sooner rather than later.

I'm very confident form what I've seen from Bridgewater, despite what the boxscore says. VERY.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

PacificNorseWest wrote:As for Teddy's play itself. I think he's gonna be good. Real good. He's very quick in the pocket and saw a few occasions where he went to his third read.
Dumping a pass to a RB or TE standing five yards directly in front of him is not necessarily "going to his third read", whether or not that player was indeed his third read. It's just dumping it off.

I saw some of the same tentativeness that we've seen out of Vikings QBs for the past couple of years. Which certainly isn't a bad thing for a rookie QB in his first NFL action. But he needs to get over it.
I'm very confident form what I've seen from Bridgewater, despite what the boxscore says. VERY.
Way too early to come to any sort of conclusion, but he looks promising. He has a good arm, he has good pocket presence. He needs to make quicker decisions and to develop further before I'd want to see him as the Vikings' starter, but I saw nothing to think he can't some day be their QB.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

PacificNorseWest wrote: As for Teddy's play itself. I think he's gonna be good. Real good. He's very quick in the pocket and saw a few occasions where he went to his third read. Not Ponder, not Kaepernick and not RGIII did that so early. His mistakes are things that can and probably will be fixed. Norv will roll out the game tape and get it corrected sooner rather than later.
That reminds me a lot of Ponder's post game comments last year, that all his mistakes were correctable and would be fixed, but of course that never happened. Not saying Bridgewater will be the same, only time will tell.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Profootballtalk reports the Vikings don't have a timetable to name a starting quarterback.

Matt Cassel has the early edge after outperforming Teddy Bridgewater in Minnesota's preseason opener, but will need to continue his strong start to win the job. There's a good chance the Vikings will name their starter prior to the third preseason game. Cassel will be on a short leash if he manages to start Week 1.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Whoever said 'play better then Cassel' is spot on. Having an Oline that wont get Teddy killed is also part of it.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Funkytown wrote:Profootballtalk reports the Vikings don't have a timetable to name a starting quarterback.

Matt Cassel has the early edge after outperforming Teddy Bridgewater in Minnesota's preseason opener, but will need to continue his strong start to win the job. There's a good chance the Vikings will name their starter prior to the third preseason game. Cassel will be on a short leash if he manages to start Week 1.

It seemed contradictory to say the Vikings don't have a timetable for choosing a starting QB and then to follow that with "There's a good chance the Vikings will name their starter prior to the third preseason game" so I went to PFT's site and for what it's worth, here are a few direct quotes, which are slightly different than the summary above:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... a-starter/
More accurately, there’s no timetable at all — at least not one that is known outside the coaching staff.
Tight end Kyle Rudolph recently told PFT Live that the players would like to know the identity of the starter as soon as possible, so that tehy can begin working with him more closely.
The safest guess would be that the Week One starter will be named not long after the third preseason game.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Whoever said 'play better then Cassel' is spot on. Having an Oline that wont get Teddy killed is also part of it.
Yep that same o-line that got Ponder nearly killed numerous times over the last three years.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Purple bruise wrote: Yep that same o-line that got Ponder nearly killed numerous times over the last three years.
Our starting O-Line is as good as you can hope for. But that second unit...I'm just glad to know they won't be seeing the field much. Hopefully.
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

DKSweets wrote:Our starting O-Line is as good as you can hope for. But that second unit...I'm just glad to know they won't be seeing the field much. Hopefully.

When does a second "unit" EVER see the field as a unit except in preseason and maybe garbage time in week 17? This isn't hockey, they don't change lines.
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

Funkytown wrote:Profootballtalk reports the Vikings don't have a timetable to name a starting quarterback.

Nonsensical space-filling clutter from amateur so-called writers trying to make a story where there is none. Matt Cassel has won the job already. End story. He started the game, so he's the starter. All he needs to do is not "continue his strong start" (are we supposed to think Teddy is breathing down his neck with last night's performance?) but merely avoid getting injured.
Purpnation
Franchise Player

Post by Purpnation »

Webbfann wrote:
Nonsensical space-filling clutter from amateur so-called writers trying to make a story where there is none. Matt Cassel has won the job already. End story. He started the game, so he's the starter. All he needs to do is not "continue his strong start" (are we supposed to think Teddy is breathing down his neck with last night's performance?) but merely avoid getting injured.
No, if the coaches thought Teddy gave them the best chance to win he would start, starting the 1st preseason games does not mean he is the starter automatically. Your comments are baseless and completely incorrect.

If Teddy vastly outplayed Cassel (Not saying he will)for the rest of the preseason, you dont think he would start? Ridiculous.
Webbfann
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Webbfann »

Purpnation wrote: No, if the coaches thought Teddy gave them the best chance to win he would start, starting the 1st preseason games does not mean he is the starter automatically. Your comments are baseless and completely incorrect.

If Teddy vastly outplayed Cassel (Not saying he will)for the rest of the preseason, you dont think he would start? Ridiculous.
Matt Cassel started the first preseason game, so he is the starter. That doesn't mean he starts the season but it's a good indication. I rarely watch preseason, but my impression is the presumed starter usually starts the first game, plays a few downs or series, and then sits. Like Cassel did. While Teddy could win the job I don't see any reason to think its not Cassel's job to lose. I don't think it's accurate to think Teddy has a 50% chance, or that they are tied or almost tied for the spot. Cassel is the presumed starter until something changes that.
Purpnation
Franchise Player

Post by Purpnation »

Webbfann wrote: Matt Cassel started the first preseason game, so he is the starter. That doesn't mean he starts the season but it's a good indication. I rarely watch preseason, but my impression is the presumed starter usually starts the first game, plays a few downs or series, and then sits. Like Cassel did. While Teddy could win the job I don't see any reason to think its not Cassel's job to lose. I don't think it's accurate to think Teddy has a 50% chance, or that they are tied or almost tied for the spot. Cassel is the presumed starter until something changes that.
Oh so you were just kidding when you said Cassel won the job already? :lol:

Cassel started the first preseason game, which I agree means he is probably the front runner at this point, but it doesn't mean that there is no position battle, and that he's has won the job already, (Since when has starting the first preseason game ever meant that?) as you implied here, and clearly stated in another thread.