Vikings release first 'unofficial' depth chart

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Vikings release first 'unofficial' depth chart

Post by dead_poet »

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Viki ... hart080514
@Andrew_Krammer: Mild surprise to see rookies Jabari Price and Brandon Watts as 2's on
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Vikings release first 'unofficial' depth chart

Post by dead_poet »

Brinkley as first-team MLB. Blanton as first-team SS.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Interesting to see Jennings at the top of both the #2 and #3 WR spot. So in 3WR sets when he lines up at the #2 spot Wright will be on the field and when Jennings lines up at #3 Simpson will be on the field, I guess?
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Well, there goes my hope for Shaun Prater making this team. Being buried on the depth chart behind a bunch of low round rookies is not exactly a ringing endorsement.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Linebackers and secondary still look highly unsettled.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Was hoping we would lose Rhett Ellison he has a tendency to make mistakes at critical times ...
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

jackal wrote:Was hoping we would lose Rhett Ellison he has a tendency to make mistakes at critical times ...
Really? When? I like Rhett.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

dead_poet wrote: Really? When? I like Rhett.
What is there to like? He hardly sees the field, and hasn't done anything noteworthy has he? Barely average on his best days. I hate wasting reps on guys like him, Sanford, etc.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:What is there to like? He hardly sees the field, and hasn't done anything noteworthy has he? Barely average on his best days. I hate wasting reps on guys like him, Sanford, etc.
He's a plus blocker, versatile and made plays when called upon. I haven't seen a better option, have you? What has the guy done to draw this Tahi-like ire?
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

jackal wrote:Was hoping we would lose Rhett Ellison he has a tendency to make mistakes at critical times ...
They're not going to "lose" anyone on the 90 man roster.

Having a decent blocking TE like Ellison is a necessity in a run-first offense. In a number of other NFL offenses, he most likely wouldn't see the field. He's like a long snapper. Unremarkable, as long as he does his job, but when you have one that is subpar, you notice it immediately.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote: He's a plus blocker, versatile and made plays when called upon. I haven't seen a better option, have you? What has the guy done to draw this Tahi-like ire?
He's not a flashy TD-scoring star, so what good is he? ;)
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Brinkleeey! :wallbang:

Hopefully that changes by the time the regular season rolls around. :(
oldskoolvikingfan
Starter

Post by oldskoolvikingfan »

Demi wrote:Brinkleeey! :wallbang:

Hopefully that changes by the time the regular season rolls around. :(
I don't see why there is so much hate for Brinkley. He is very good at stopping the run which coach Zimmer likes in his MLB and he most likely will play on 1st and 2nd downs and then get switched out for Cole on 3rd down passes.
maembe
Franchise Player

Post by maembe »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: What is there to like? He hardly sees the field, and hasn't done anything noteworthy has he? Barely average on his best days. I hate wasting reps on guys like him, Sanford, etc.
He's actually been really good:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... t-ellison/
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... page=2&c=y
The first depth chart of the season was released Tuesday. Let’s just say Zimmer’s excitement level about this didn’t match the media’s.

The team’s initial release listed the starter at left corner as Captain Munnerlyn/Josh Robinson. What’s up with that, Coach?

“Munnerlyn missed a bunch of time early [in camp] and Robinson [has] missed a bunch of time late,” said Zimmer, referring to two of the hamstring injuries that have dogged his secondary. “So let them keep [competing]. … We just line guys up and go.”