Vikings release first 'unofficial' depth chart

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings release first 'unofficial' depth chart

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I noticed that Gerald Hodges is still being listed as the 2nd team OLB. I wonder if Hodges playing some MIKE last week was just another experiment by the coaching staff. It is a shame. Hodges has way more upside in coverage than any other linebacker on the team.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

I wouldn't read too much into the WR depth; we know who our two main guys are and based on situations the third guy will be changing constantly.

...and why are we upset that Ellison is more like Kleinsasser than Rudolph? That's a really important position to fill.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

DKSweets wrote:I wouldn't read too much into the WR depth; we know who our two main guys are and based on situations the third guy will be changing constantly.

...and why are we upset that Ellison is more like Kleinsasser than Rudolph? That's a really important position to fill.
Am I the only one thinking that this could either be a really awesome season at WR, or could it potentially be a disaster?

Forget the questionable QB situation. You have the solid Greg Jennings, 31 years old and one year closer to retirement. He could come out and be as exciting and threatening as a plate of yesterday's mashed potatoes. He's clearly the Vikings #1. Then the very inexperienced Cordarrelle Patterson, who is still learning his craft, with basically two seasons in his entire life playing wide receiver against any competition. He'll excite people every time he touches the ball, but will he be a guy capable of getting open downfield and moving the chains? Then there's Jerome Simpson, who everyone expects to do nothing again and the faceless Jarius Wright. Remind me again? Oh yeah, he's fast.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Eli wrote:Am I the only one thinking that this could either be a really awesome season at WR, or could it potentially be a disaster?

Forget the questionable QB situation. You have the solid Greg Jennings, 31 years old and one year closer to retirement. He could come out and be as exciting and threatening as a plate of yesterday's mashed potatoes. He's clearly the Vikings #1. Then the very inexperienced Cordarrelle Patterson, who is still learning his craft, with basically two seasons in his entire life playing wide receiver against any competition. He'll excite people every time he touches the ball, but will he be a guy capable of getting open downfield and moving the chains? Then there's Jerome Simpson, who everyone expects to do nothing again and the faceless Jarius Wright. Remind me again? Oh yeah, he's fast.

They should be just fine at WR as long as they stay relatively healthy.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Mothman wrote:
They should be just fine at WR as long as they stay relatively healthy.
Jennings isn't clearly their #1. Patterson is being moved into that role this season, experience or no. The hype coming from the team and statements from Jennings about how Patterson will be center stage is evidence of that.

The success of the WR core depends primarily on how Patterson does this year. If he requires double coverage I really really like our other receivers in 1 on 1 match-ups. If Patterson can't take the next step or doesn't stay healthy there are going to be problems.

Even then though, between Rudolph, Patterson, and Jennings somebody should be getting open regularly. Throw in a couple PI's from Simpson, a couple bombs to Wright ... I'm really excited about our WR this year.

You're right though, it could be rough too. We'll know soon!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote:Jennings isn't clearly their #1. Patterson is being moved into that role this season, experience or no. The hype coming from the team and statements from Jennings about how Patterson will be center stage is evidence of that.
I think #1 receiver, like "shutdown corner", is more of a fan/media designation for a receiver that is clearly head and shoulders above his teammates in ability and production (like Calvin Johnson) than sdesignation coaches actually worry about. I doubt the Vikings care whether Jennings or Patterson is their #1 receiver. They'll be hoping for big production from both players and from a coaching point of view, Jennings and Patterson play different positions. One is a split end and the other is a flanker/slot receiver. I imagine the Vikes have plans to use both extensively.
The success of the WR core depends primarily on how Patterson does this year. If he requires double coverage I really really like our other receivers in 1 on 1 match-ups. If Patterson can't take the next step or doesn't stay healthy there are going to be problems.
I agree about the health and "next step" part of that but I don't think the success or failure of the WR corps depends on any one player. They'll succeed or fail as a group and don't underestimate Jennings. He could easily end up leading the WRs in receiving yards, receptions and possibly even scores.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

The #1 is the receiver targeted most often. By the end of the season I fully expect Jennings to be the leader in receptions. If it's Patterson I'll be amazed. Beyond amazed. And if it's Rudolph, then that disaster of a season at WR will have been a reality.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Eli wrote:The #1 is the receiver targeted most often. By the end of the season I fully expect Jennings to be the leader in receptions. If it's Patterson I'll be amazed. Beyond amazed. And if it's Rudolph, then that disaster of a season at WR will have been a reality.
... or Rudolph will have had a fantastic year and the WR corps will have performed just fine. ;)
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Would you guys prefer this group of receivers or the '09 group? I think top to bottom, this class is the best we've had since....well, I'm not gonna say it, but you all know where I'm going.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

DKSweets wrote:Would you guys prefer this group of receivers or the '09 group? I think top to bottom, this class is the best we've had since....well, I'm not gonna say it, but you all know where I'm going.
I'll say it; I'm hoping our WRs look something similar to the 98' Carter-Moss-Reed combo. 8)
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote: I'll say it; I'm hoping our WRs look something similar to the 98' Carter-Moss-Reed combo. 8)
That would be an extremely pleasant surprise!

I'll be happy if they're as effective as the '09 group.

First, we need to find out which receivers will actually make the team. :)
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Mothman wrote: That would be an extremely pleasant surprise!

Yeah ... I'll stop short of saying I think they will actually look that good ... but I'm hoping!
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

Wow this team looks good! I think WR is one of our strongest positions with the most depth on the whole team. Zero worries whatsoever there outside of injuries which you can't control, but like usual the offense will come down to QB and offensive line play. If you look at us the past couple years that's where the real story has always been for this team.

The Defense looks much much better, though still with a lot to prove. Nothing really else to say, just have to see the product on the field.
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

Mothman wrote: That would be an extremely pleasant surprise!

I think our top 4 are set. Compared to '09, I think this team outclasses the position group in all phases.

Jennings =/= Rice
CP > Harvin
Simpson > Berrian
Wright > Greg Lewis