The 5 Worst Teams for the Upcoming 2014 NFL Season

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: The 5 Worst Teams for the Upcoming 2014 NFL Season

Post by mansquatch »

I would not be so quick to assume that Floyd and Griffen will readily replace KWill and JA. I have high hopes for them, but those are two pairs of enormous shoes to fill. There will be some growing pains. I just hope that the addition of LJ offsets this.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

The key to winning is the defense......not giving up 30 points per game. Now I understand some of that is on the offense not giving turnovers. But I am including the offense in that statement. You cannot win in this league giving up 30 ppg. You cannot win giving up 25 ppg. As a team, both offense and defense, you have to be able to keep the other team at less than 21 ppg. If they do that and that alone they will more than likely be 10-6. Oh the offense you say? The Vikings scored and average of 24.4 ppg game last year. Normally that would give you a 9-7 or 10-6 record, if, you held the other team to under 21 ppg. The only teams since 1966 to score 24.4 ppg and have a losing record all gave up more than 26 ppg. Of the other 15 teams since 1966 that had 24.4 ppg, 12 of the 15 went to the playoffs. And all 15 held the other team to 21.6 ppg or less.

So yes, the offense is important, but not letting the other team score easy points, or giving them turnovers that score easy points is the key. Those are the things I am looking for this year.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

mansquatch wrote:I would not be so quick to assume that Floyd and Griffen will readily replace KWill and JA. I have high hopes for them, but those are two pairs of enormous shoes to fill. There will be some growing pains. I just hope that the addition of LJ offsets this.
In their prime, yes. But this isn't 2009 anymore, and those guys are no longer the players that made multiple Pro Bowls.